| ||This is an overview article which contains background information and cross-game comparisons. For game-specific information and stats, see the articles linked on the right.|
By God, if I had hands I would strangle the life out of you!”
Mister Handy are utility robots created as part of a joint project between General Atomics International and RobCo Industries. Although they were designed as general-chore automatons, they are quite capable of defending themselves with their flamethrower and buzzsaw, but nowhere near as combat efficient as the military variant "Mister Gutsy".
The Mister Handy series of robots, named so because of the robot's large number of hands, was first brought to market in 2037 as a general construction and maintenance unit by General Atomics International, with some assistance from RobCo. Primarily used in the United States and Mexico (where it was the leader in sales after the Mexico City earthquake of 2042), the Mister Handy was a reliable robot. An early bug that caused interference in the operation of the multiple arms was fixed with a hardware update in 2039, with no major problems since then. A key selling feature is the nuclear power unit (a model 238B, licensed from Calpower) and self-maintenance modes. Multiple Mister Handies are capable of keeping themselves in working condition (Self Diagnostics) and are also fully programmed to perform nuclear fuel replacements. Secondary programming handles radiation cleansing after refueling.
They are capable of quite eloquent speech. They generally have an affected English accent (while Mr. Gutsies speak in an American drill sergeant voice) and speak politely most times, although they sometimes mutter potential insults under their breath. Most of them have very cheerful personalities. Some Mister Handy models that have been programmed as personal butlers and are programmed to tell amusing jokes on command, though their "humor emitter array" needs to recharge between uses. They are also able to extract air humidity by using their integrated liquid condensators and cooling surrounding air below its dew-point, allow it to generate 5 bottles of purified water without charge during a three-day period.
Sometime before the Great War, General Atomics International and RobCo wanted to upgrade their Mister Handy line with add an additional hand and some other systems. But probably due to the outbreak of the War, The Type-II was sent and tested only in the Core Region, in military facilities like the Mariposa Military Base. Also, the Type-I is sometimes used as non-military security robots, for large company like REPCONN, and have a clear green color.
- Sensors: Basic sensors with three eyes
- Communicator: Advanced communicator with a human-like voice, Humor Emitter Array (updated)
- Arm Motors: Three arm motors, extra-flexible, one ending with a saw blade, and another with a blowtorch.
- Propulsion: Single jet-powered hovering system
- Accessories: A saw blade and a blowtorch that can be used as a flamethrower.
- Subassemblies: Head, three eyes, three arms, one pod, condensation collector and Humor emitter array
- Brain: A small computer brain (1 lbs)
- Sensors: Basic sensors with one eye (.8 lbs)
- Communicator: Basic communicator with a disturbing voice (.5 lbs)
- Arm Motors: Six arm motors, extra-flexible (6 lbs, .1 kW)
- Propulsion: Two 200 KW motive power ducted fans, vectored (147 lbs) with GEV skirts.
- Accessories: Integral mechanic toolset (10 lbs)
- Power System: Routine power requirement 400.6 kW. One nuclear power unit with 200 KW output (225 lbs, 2 year Endurance). Eight rechargeable E-cells with 270,000 kWs output (20 lbs).
- Subassemblies: Head, two pods, six arms.
- Body Design: Houses nuclear power unit, rechargeable E-cells, integral mechanic toolset, and small brain.
- Head Design: Houses sensors, spotlight and communicator. Full rotation.
- Pod Design: Houses ducted fans.
- Arm Design: Houses arm motors and manipulators.
Notable Type-I unitsEdit
Notable Type-II unitsEdit
- "How may I serve you, master?"
- "Oohh. Yesss... Let's all beat up on the robot..."
- "And who gets to clean up all this blood? Me, that's who..."
- "By God, if I had hands I would strangle the life out of you!"
The Type-II Mister Handy appears in Fallout and Fallout 2. They were also to appear in Van Buren, the canceled Fallout 3 by Black Isle Studios. The Type-I Mister Handy appears in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Mister Handy is also mentioned in Fallout Tactics.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Mister Handy's voice in Fallout: New Vegas has an additional robotic effect.
- ↑ Fallout 2 Official Strategies & Secrets
- ↑ Description of the "antique" model in the REPCONN's museum in Fallout: New Vegas - You never can have too many hands - three, why not four? That was RobCo's inspiration behind the popular (and cost-effective) Mister Handy model, the first of the line shown here. Always a help around the household, whether with Mom in the kitchen using its titanium circular power saw or in the garage with Dad using its armor-piercing laser array, Mister Handy is not just helpful... he's your friend, too. Exhibit Brought to You By Your Friends at RobCo.