Mirelurk cakes are savory cakes that are made with mirelurk meat. Despite the source material, they are altogether inferior to the original meat, healing only a quarter of the HP and with a rad value one higher. In this sense they are closer to hatchling mirelurk meat. A recipe for the cakes can be found in the Anchorage Memorial.
In the Anchorage Memorial, the Lone Wanderer can find Ted's stash containing the recipe for mirelurk cakes. To get it, they must find the necessary door component to unlock the storage room, which has a key to the stash and a note on how to find it. The stash itself is hidden in one of the refrigerators on the level beneath the kitchen area. Having the key in the inventory "activates" the stash and generates the items in the fridge. The recipe is not like schematics and it isn't possible to make the cakes even with possession of it.
The recipe calls for:
- 1 bucket mirelurk meat
- 12 eggs, mixed up
- 1 loaf bread, stale and crumbled
- 1 bottle mayonnaise (see Marjorie for mayo)
- 1 branch scrub plant, dried and crushed
- 2 fists of Salt
- Oil (for pan)
Remove any shell from lurk. In bucket, toss together bread, egg, scrub and mayo until moistened, but do not over mix. Add any available spices for taste.
Ball up 25-30 cakes, 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Place in freezer until they firm up. Sprinkle batch with salt.
In heavy pan, fry cakes in oil, turning once until both sides are brown.
It may be worth noting that, assuming one substitutes the scrub plant with green onions, and mirelurk meat for crab meat, this recipe can be followed in real life to produce crab cakes.
Mirelurk cakes can mostly be found with diner merchants. Gary Staley, the owner of Rivet City marketplace diner believes he is something of an expert at making them, although the cakes available at the Galley are exactly the same as everywhere else. A large number can be found in the fridges in the Anchorage Memorial.
- The recipe makes use of eggs, but does not specify from what kind of animal, an important consideration in a world where chickens are apparently extinct and other animals such as deathclaws can lay eggs. It is possible that the eggs are from the vultures which can be seen from a distance throughout the Capital Wasteland. Mirelurks also lay eggs, though game mechanics cause them to lose their "egg identity" when harvested.
- Apparently, mirelurk cakes induce flatulence, as hinted at in a dialogue option with Gary Staley, the owner of the Rivet City diner.
- Even though mirelurks (and mirelurk cakes) are not found in the Mojave Wasteland, non-player characters can sometimes be seen eating something that looks like mirelurk cakes.