| ||For an overview of minigun models in the Fallout series of games, see minigun.|
The minigun is a motorized Gatling-style rapid fire weapon commonly employed by the military, or other lesser factions that managed to acquire such a weapon. Miniguns can be found as mounted door guns on Vertibirds or as a handheld heavy assault and support weapon. It uses 5mm rounds as ammo.
It requires a moment to spin up before it actually starts firing, but makes up for the delay with a high rate of fire and large ammunition capacity. As can be expected from a motorized rotary gun, it burns through ammo reserves at a high rate, even more so when equipped with accelerated barrels. This and the fact that only a select few enemies wield miniguns makes it difficult to keep the weapon supplied without spending a lot of caps at arms dealers. Investing points in the Scrounger perk and installing the tri-barrel modification helps to alleviate this issue to some extent. The latter significantly increases the minigun's per-shot damage, range and accuracy at the cost of a sharp drop in firing rate, all of which make the weapon a lot more cost-efficient and effective at mid to long range. The downside is that this mod requires heavy investment in the Gun Nut perk and won't be available until the player reaches a fairly high level, a point where the minigun will most likely find itself outclassed in most respects by the Gatling laser.
The minigun fires large volumes of low-damage shots with a high spread, rendering it difficult to take down enemies with larger defensive stats, even with investment in the Heavy Gunner perk.
When fired continuously, the minigun's barrel cluster glows ever hotter, eventually reaching a bright yellow color.
|Slot||Mod||Description||Weapon prefix||Damage per shot change||Fire rate change||Range change||Accuracy change||Magazine capacity (shots per reload) change||Weight change||Weapon value change in caps||Perk needed||Components||Base ID|
|Barrel||Standard barrel||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x4|
|Accelerated barrel||Improved damage and rate of fire. Inferior range and accuracy.||High speed||+1||+41||-36||-9||–||-4.5||+45||Gun Nut 3||Adhesive x8|
|Tri barrel||Inferior rate of fire. Better damage, range, accuracy, and recoil.||High powered||+3||-95||+48||+7||–||+2.7||+75||Gun Nut 4||Adhesive x10|
|Sights||Standard sights||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Steel x2||001a8a8a|
|Gunner sight||Better focus and sighted accuracy.||Tactical||–||–||–||+12||–||+1.3||+68||–||Adhesive x6|
|Shredder||Superior bash. Inferior range.||Bayoneted shredding||–||–||-18||–||–||+4.5||+60||Gun Nut 2||Adhesive x4|
- Museum of Freedom, on the roof in a crash-landed Vertibird.
- Ack-Ack, located in the basement of the USAF Satellite Station Olivia, carries one.
- Fist, the leader of the Trinity Tower super mutants, carries one.
- One of the crazed Gunners in the mainframe room of the HalluciGen, Inc. building carries one with upgrades depending on player level.
- Can be bought from Proctor Teagan on board the Prydwen. At higher levels, it is already modified with the accelerated barrel and a shredder. It respawns in Teagan's list after some time.
- Often carried by Brotherhood Knights in power armor on board the Prydwen and guarding the nearby Boston Airport.
- A random super mutant can always be found with this weapon inside Trinity Church.
- With Contraptions Workshop installed, you can make the minigun in the heavy weapon forge.
- Big Mack carries one at the Wilson Atomatoys factory.
- A stock variant is sold by Arturo Rodriguez in Diamond City. It will always reappear as the same variant first found.
- KL-E-0 occasionally sells one in Goodneighbor.
- Regi Blattaria to the west of Corvega assembly plant carries one depending on the player character's level.
- Can be found on a dead Gunner at HalluciGen, Inc. in the basement where player obtains HalluciGen master password.
- This is the first animated belt-fed weapon in the series. The ammunition is housed in a magazine below the gun itself.
- Characters wearing power armor hold the minigun in a relaxed stance with the muzzle pointing left and down while they are standing around or moving, provided they haven't aimed at anything for some seconds. This sort of idle animation is missing for everyone clad in any type of regular armor though - they always hold the weapon pointed forward instead, even during sprinting.
- The barrel spins clockwise while in first person and counter-clockwise while in third person when using power armor.
- Without any ammunition and the shredder modification the minigun can be used as a melee weapon.