Midnight Science Fiction Feature!
Sonic emitters, space age alloys, DNA hybridization, force field particle research, Auto-Doc advances in cranial, cardiac, and trauma surgery... the hopes and dreams of a century became realities in the electronic forges of Big Mountain.”— Old World Blues introductory slide
|Intro Quest: Midnight Science Fiction Feature!|
|Go to the Mojave Drive-in between 11 pm and 3 am.|
|While the movie is playing, activate the crashed satellite.|
|Reward: Variable XP, access to Big MT|
|Leads to: Welcome to the Big Empty|
After installing the add-on, the player will receive a radio signal in the form of a mysterious broadcast about an invitation to the "Midnight Science Fiction Feature!" at the Mojave Drive-in. After arriving, a satellite is found crashed in the middle of the drive-in lot.
Between 11 pm and 3 am, the satellite projects a movie of a peering eye on the drive-in's screen. Activating the satellite during this time will bring up the prompt window, explaining what the player is about to enter, and that they won't be able to return until completion. Additionally, the prompt explains that a minimum player level of 15+ is recommended, and that players are able to take their gear to Big MT. However, no companions are able to join the Courier and must be left in the Mojave.
Selecting that the player is ready will teleport them to Big MT and show the opening slide show of Old World Blues.
|10||Quest finished||Investigate the midnight showing at the Mojave Drive-in.|
- Standing in front of the projection beam does not appear to affect the image on the screen at all.
- Doctor 0 drops the name of this quest in dialogue when the player asks him about the giant robo-scorpion, saying it sounds like "something right out of a Midnight Science Fiction Feature".
- Waiting for the midnight showing may sometimes respawn the nearby mole rats in the distance. A Viper leader or Viper gang member may also spawn as well. This can result in a prompt telling the player that the satellite cannot be activated while engaged in combat.
- It is possible for an NCR Ranger or NCR trooper to accompany the Courier to Big MT and act as a companion by using the NCR emergency radio, as they are not classed as permanent companions. However, once they die another one cannot be called in with the emergency radio, as Big MT lies far beyond the NCR's operational area.
- The satellite cannot be interacted with outside the scripted hours.
- The satellite cannot be interacted with while crouched.