| ||For an overview of metal armor variants in all games, see Metal armor.|
Polished metal plates, crudely forming a suit of armor.”
Metal armor serves as one of the two early-to-mid-game armors in Fallout and Fallout 2, along with leather armor. Metal armor has a higher amount of resistance and threshold bonuses but leather has a higher AC. Overall, the metal armor is better than the leather armor. Metal armor is also very heavy for the relatively low amount of protection it provides. Notably, metal armor (and metal armor Mk II) has a very high laser resistance, which is only surpassed by T-51b power armor and Tesla armor.
- Garl, leader of the Khan raiders near Shady Sands, wears a set.
- In Junktown, Gizmo's silent bodyguard Izo in his casino, has one.
- A gambler by a slot machine also wears a set. With a companion, it is possible to purposely get caught pickpocketing him into hostility, then allowing the companion to take the kill. This will not provoke the guards (but may make other gamblers attack).
- Beth in the Hub sells some.
- Accepting the quest from Irwin in the Hub to clear his farm of raiders, a set can be found on the farm. The map cannot be revisited, so there is only one opportunity to grab the armor.
- The Regulators in the Boneyard wear sets of such armor, they need to be looted.
- In a locked locker in Vault City's corrections center, sneaking is required to take it without provoking the guards.
- Can be looted from an unmarked grave in Golgotha
- Sold by Happy Harry in Vault City
- Sold by Eldridge in New Reno Arms
Similar armors can be seen in many old school post-apocalyptic movies such as Mad Max and The New Barbarians.