The Medicine Stick is a variant of the brush gun. It has an increased ammunition capacity, a less obstructive rear sight, and is also much cleaner in appearance. It also features a unique stock with a symbol similar in appearance to a Native American medicine wheel attached to its side. Compared to the standard brush gun, the Medicine Stick has slightly higher damage and rate of fire.
Due to the gun's tubular magazine, it is reloaded by hand one bullet at a time, allowing the player to interrupt reloading mid-way. This allows the gun to be fired before reloading is complete.
The Medicine Stick can fire a total of about 995 standard rounds - the equivalent of 125 reloads - from full condition before breaking.
|Standard & HP||995||125|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Weapon spread||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
|Brush gun With all weapon mods attached||75||92.3||1.23||x1||75||33||2.3||0.06||6||1120||5||6650||1330||100||6|
|Medicine Stick fnvgra||78||108||1.38||x1||78||31||2.5||0.06||8||995||5.5||20000||3636.4||100||6|
This weapon is the strongest .45-70 Gov't chambered weapon. The decorative feathers are rigid and do not follow gravity.
Behind the scenesEdit
Medicine sticks are also called "spirit sticks" by some Native American tribes. Spirit sticks are used for rituals relating to the spirit world, and are often decorated with beads and feathers from spirit animals (such as the eagle or the bear). The weapon's name implies that it can take away "bad spirits" and send them back to the spirit world.
The .45-70 used in the Medicine stick and Brush gun was last used in quantity during the Spanish–American War, and was not completely purged from the American inventory until well into the 20th century. Many surplus rifles were given to reservation Indians as subsistence hunting rifles and now carry Indian markings. Hence the Indian feathers of the Medicine Stick
- pc xbox360 When firing from long ranges, it appears that the sights aren't completely aligned, meaning you'll have to aim slightly to the left of an enemy for a direct hit. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 Sometimes, the lever may remain downward after running while reloading. This is purely aesthetic, however; it will return to its original position when you stop moving or holster the weapon. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 While reloading in third-person view, you may not see the usual lever action after reloading. [verified]
- ps3 If you look at the opposite side of the stock when holstered, the feather will have disappeared. This is most evident when wearing heavy/medium armor such as power armor or NCR Ranger patrol armor. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 As with the regular brush gun, the Medicine Stick may glitch in V.A.T.S. mode, causing the cocking handle to become stuck in the downward position. The player will not fire any rounds, and will stay in the glitched state until killed. This may require a reload of a previous save. [verified]
- pc xbox360 The reload animation of lever action weapons doesn't have a corresponding jam animation, so the weapon will not jam, even at near-breaking conditions. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Like all round by round reloading weapons in the game, if the player switches ammo types quick enough, the animation to load a single round is played but the magazine will be fully reloaded. [verified]