Mark of Caesar
The eyes of the mighty Caesar are upon you. He admires your accomplishments and bestows upon you the exceptional gift of his Mark.”— Alerio
It is a necklace given to the player character by Vulpes Inculta (or Alerio, if Vulpes was killed) upon exiting The Tops Casino after completing Ring-a-Ding-Ding! as part of the quest Render Unto Caesar. The Mark allows safe passage to Caesar's camp, even if the player has a low reputation with Caesar's Legion.
- The Mark of Caesar effectively removes all of the Courier's infamy. For example, if the Courier had a reputation of Wild Child prior to receiving the Mark of Caesar, they would now be Idolized among Caesar's Legion.
- Being a quest item, the Mark of Caesar cannot be dropped, even if the Courier sides with the New California Republic in the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.
- Caesar's Legion may still be hostile towards the player even while carrying the Mark. This occurs if the player travels with a companion that is hostile (such as Boone) towards the Legion.
- They will also be hostile if you are wearing a hostile faction's clothing (for example a NCR armor) while wearing the Mark of Caesar.
- Attacking Legionaries, or otherwise gaining Caesar's Legion infamy, will result in the failure of the quest Render Unto Caesar, despite holding the Mark.
- Attacking Vulpes Inculta or Alerio when either of them gives you the Mark will result in the Legion becoming permanently hostile.
- This item is identical in appearance to the Legion Denarius.
- If the player uses setquestobject 001374ae 0 on the Mark of Caesar and dropped, it will look like a holodisk.
- It is possible to gain two of these. By fast-travelling after leaving the Tops, you will have one added to your inventory; then go back to the Strip and talk to Vulpes or Alerio, and they will give you one more.
- Ambassador Crocker's note has the same purpose; receiving it from Dennis Crocker removes any negative reputation for the NCR.
- pc You can get a second mark when leaving The Fort. [verified]
- xbox360 It is possible for the players reputation to decline after receiving the mark. For example, if the Courier had an Idolized reputation with the NCR, it could become Wild Child after receiving the mark. Members of the NCR may also be hostile towards the Courier for seemingly no reason, even while wearing NCR faction armor, once the Courier receives the mark. [verified]