The business used to be legit but when the former owner refused to sell to Decker they disappeared. Now the bar is a cover for his operations in the area.
Decker's death is the knell of the Underground - his absolutist control of all criminal activities within the city basically means that there is no one to succeed him; the Hub Police can easily pick off any criminal elements without fear of retribution and the Maltese Falcon now owned by the Hub Police.
The two main doors opens onto the entry. On the left, it's the bar where drinks are served and with many armchair next. The bar serves:
On the right, the casino area where anyone can play gambling offered by the Maltese Falcon. On bottom right, the rooms serve of bedrooms and brothel rooms with 6 rooms available and two prostitute working for the Maltese Falcon, but the player can't have a relationship with them and can not sleep in rooms.
On the wall behind the bar on the right, there is a door guarded by Kane, gives in the basement which is the Underground's hideout. if Decker is dead, the basement is still open but there is nothing interesting inside.
The gambling area is similar to a casino but uses caps as currency.
- The Maltese Falcon offers roulette and slots.
- See the Gambling page for more general information on gambling.
- In the Maltese Falcon, the Vault Dweller has several choices. They can do favors for Decker or they can gather evidence for the police. Decker's quests are both assassination missions in the Hub. Helping the cops leads to a large gunfight in his hideout under the bar. This is another instance, like Junktown, where you can be the cold blooded killer or the goodie two shoes.
- The most profitable way to exploit this situation by not afraid of losing Karma is to play both sides against the middle. To begin, you do Decker's two assassinations which are quite simple with an NPC and a half decent weapon. Then you turn Decker into the police (must pass Speech check) and wipe out his gang. Fighting Decker is much harder because his right hand man, Kane uses brass knuckles to deadly efficiency and has lots of Action Points. So kill him first ! Your end bonus is several thousand caps and a lot of XP.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The name references the 1930 novel The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.
- In the very last text on the Fallout 2 credits, it's marked "May you find the Maltese Falcon", as a wink on the Maltese Falcon.