A few months before we met, I bumped into a guy named Sinclair who claimed his buddy caught some kind of disease. I thought he was wasting my time until he said his partner broke out in blue boils. They dug up information about a cure at a place called Med-Tek Research. They even managed to grab the building's lockdown security codes. Unfortunately, Sinclair's buddy died before they were able to break into the facility. I mean, there's no way that's a coincidence, right? Med-Tek has to be the place.”— Robert Joseph MacCready
|Companion Quest: Long Road Ahead|
|Gain Robert Joseph MacCready's approval.|
|Speak to MacCready and accept his quest.|
|Take MacCready to the Mass Pike Interchange.|
|Kill Winlock & Barnes.|
|Speak to MacCready.|
|Continue traveling with MacCready.|
|Reach 750 affinity points with MacCready and talk with him.|
|Take MacCready to and enter the Med-Tek Research building.|
|Locate the executive terminal.|
|Override the containment lockdown.|
|Enter Med-Tek sub-level.|
|Retrieve the cure for MacCready.|
|Speak to MacCready.|
|Bring the cure to Daisy in Goodneighbor.|
|Reward: 250+ XP|
When traveling with Robert Joseph MacCready long enough for his affinity rating to reach between 250 and 500, MacCready will talk to the Sole Survivor and tell them about Winlock and Barnes, and how he wants the Sole Survivor to go to the Mass Pike Interchange and kill them. This will start Long Road ahead, and Mass Pike Interchange will be marked on the map (MacCready's affection gains will cap at 499 until the Gunners portion of this quest is completed).
When Mass Pike Interchange is reached, both Winlock and Barnes will be on the interchange itself, so locating one of the nearby lifts is necessary. Resistance in the interchange is fairly heavy, with 10-15 normal Gunners, a commander, and one Assaultron. Either of them may also be using a set of T-60 power armor at higher levels. After both Winlock and Barnes are killed, MacCready will talk to the Sole Survivor and say that it relieves him to see the two responsible for harassing him for leaving the Gunners be killed, and return the caps the Sole Survivor used to hire him.
After MacCready's affinity reaches 750, the second part of the quest will begin. MacCready will talk to the Sole Survivor again and tell them about his son Duncan, and how he has a disease which will ultimately kill him. He then asks the Sole Survivor to visit Med-Tek Research, where a cure for the ailment is supposed to reside, and that he has the containment override password. When there, the cure is believed to be housed in the lower levels, which requires reaching the top floors of the facility to the executive terminals to override the containment. Overall resistance is fairly low, as the feral ghoul occupants (including a glowing one) are spread out across a wide area.
After finding the cure, located in the lowest sections of the facility, MacCready then tells the Sole Survivor to bring the cure to Daisy in Goodneighbor, where she will send it on a caravan out of the Commonwealth. After giving Daisy the cure, the quest will be complete (MacCready's affection gains will cap at 999 until the Med-Tek Research portion of this quest is completed).
- Keep in mind that there is a password for a terminal in Covenant called Jacob's password. If this is in the player's inventory when they enter the Med-Tek Research building, MacCready may not give them the password for the executive terminal on the top floor, instead waiting until he gets to the terminal.
- It is possible for MacCready to never give the password, if he's occupied/separated from the player when first reaching the terminal. This can be caused by MacCready falling through the hole in the floor to the lower level. To prevent this, save before heading near the executive room, and make sure to complete the fight without becoming separated from MacCready. Going back to the terminal later with MacCready will not result in receiving the password if this has occurred.
- Both issues can be resolved on PC by using the console command player.additem 001965f8 to add the correct password to your inventory.
- After you enter the sublevels and enter the room full of cells, it may seem impossible to proceed lower at first glance. There is, however, a ramp leading down through the floor in one of the cells.
- Once he idolizes the Sole Survivor, MacCready will give them a wooden soldier toy as a token of his affection. This item will be automatically added to the Junk category instead of Misc, so care should be taken to not scrap it by accident if the player wishes to keep it.
- If Daisy only wants to trade and offers no special dialogue options, make sure that MacCready stands in the store next to Daisy. MacCready has a tendency to sandbox upon entering Goodneighbor. Commanding him to stand in front of Daisy's counter resolves this.
- If you picked up the Prevent before you started the quest, you can get inside Med-Tek, use console command player.drop 4e700 1 to drop it on the floor in front of MacCready, pick it up, and then the quest moves on.
- ps4 xboxone Winlock may be encountered in an inaccessible area, on top of the upper freeway platform, rendering the mission unable to complete. Possible Fix (PS4): Move south, the player then can access the upper deck by a collapsed structure forming a ramp, and jumping a small gap from girder to girder to finally reach Winlock.[verified]
- pc ps4 Having already cleared Mass Pike Interchange the quest may not start when bringing MacCready there.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone Winlock and Barnes may not be hostile to the player at Mass Pike Interchange, even after the player kills all of the other Gunners at that location. Even if the player kills either Winlock or Barnes, the other may not be hostile.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone MacCready will add the location of Med-Tek Research to the player's Pip-Boy. However when selecting 'Show On Map' for the quest objective 'Bring MacCready to Med-Tek Research' the map will not center on the location. There will also be no objective marker to direct the player to the location (this bug will not affect the quest's progression, once the Sole Survivor reaches Med-Tek Research it will progress to the next step of the quest).[verified]
- ps4 xboxone "Locate the Executive Terminal" will sometimes not update when the player reaches the terminal. Which also means MacCready will not give the player the password. Reloading to a previous save may fix this.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone If the player picked up the Prevent even before making MacCready a companion, the easiest way to fix it is to do SetStage COMMacCreadyQuest 0; the Sole Survivor and MacCready will be partnered up, show him the Prevent, and take it back to Daisy. [verified]