| ||For an overview of all cities in Fallout universe, see City.|
The locations in the post-nuclear United States form the backdrop in which the events of the Fallout series occur. Many have diverse environments where anything can happen, such as a special encounter, or just a skirmish with raiders. The environments and places have been changed over the course of the many games, as the settings have always been in different places, and always brought new surprises with them.
- Capital Wasteland
- New California
- Mojave Wasteland
- The Pitt
- Point Lookout
- The Island
- The Commonwealth
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help Nukapedia by writing it.
In the Capital Wasteland, there are 22 settlements, ranging in size from Rivet City, with a population of 43 named characters and 7 Stores, to Girdershade: 2 people and no merchants. Apart from Rivet City, there are 4 other major settlements: Megaton, which would be probably the first settlement the Lone Wanderer encounters after escaping the vault; Underworld, the city inside downtown DC full of ghouls; Tenpenny Tower, a former luxury hotel that Allistair Tenpenny lets people in for the right price-ghouls need not apply; and the Citadel, home of the Brotherhood of Steel. Besides those, there is the Republic of Dave, Canterbury Commons, Oasis, Paradise Falls, the Temple of the Union, Little Lamplight, Arefu, Andale, and the Reilly's Rangers compound are all settlements of a medium size, and all have related quests. Vault 101 and 112 both are also populated: Vault 101 is where the story starts, yet is closed after being left for the first time, is reopened during the Trouble on the Homefront quest, and after that, it is once again sealed, but this time for good. However there is evidence of an inevitable rebellion as Butch is found in Rivet City in the Muddy Rudder. Vault 112, home of the Tranquility Lane simulator, is populated only by RoboBrains and, briefly, the Lone wanderer's father, James.
In the Mojave, many different settlements can be found throughout the land, either run by a particular faction or operating independently. Some of these independent settlements include Goodsprings, Primm, Novac, Nipton, Westside, & North Vegas Square. The New California Republic controls a majority of the Mojave & various habitable settlements by the start of the game, including the various Ranger stations, the Mojave Outpost, HELIOS One, Boulder City, Camp Golf, Camp Guardian, Camp McCarran, Camp Forlorn Hope, Sloan, Aerotech Office Park, Bitter Springs, & Hoover Dam. Caesar's Legion, who have begun to push westward to challenge the NCR, has taken the Fort as Caesar's base of operations, as well as Cottonwood Cove & the town of Nelson as footholds across the Colorado River. New Vegas, specifically the Strip, is primarily operated by Mr. House, while the Kings are the de-facto rulers of Freeside. Additionally, smaller factions have developed their own settlements throughout the Mojave. After their escape from Vault 34, the Boomers settled down in Nellis Air Force Base, using their artillery strikes to steer outsiders away. After losing HELIOS One to the NCR, the remaining members of the Mojave Chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel have retreated back to their underground bunker of Hidden Valley. After staging an audacious breakout, a gang of NCR convicts known as the Powder Gangers have taken the NCR Correctional Facility as their base of operations, while a splinter group traveled through the Mojave & settled down in Vault 19. After the massacre at Bitter Springs, the remaining members of the Great Khans have relocated westward towards Red Rock Canyon. While traveling through the western United States after the fall of the Master, a group of super mutants & nightkin led by Marcus eventually settled down in Black Mountain until a group led by one of the mutants, Tabitha, drives Marcus's group away & eventually created the State of Utobitha on Black Mountain, while Marcus's group eventually discovers an abandoned ski lodge to the west of New Vegas & creates Jacobstown as a safe haven for super mutants & nightkin.
On the Island, there are a total of 4 non-player settlements, with 4 buildable settlements that can be created by the Sole Survivor. The majority of people living on the island live in Far Harbor, the only remaining settlement not taken over by the Fog, while DiMA and his escaped synths live up in the wind farm known as Acadia, and the Children of Atom have resided in the radioactive submarine base known as the Nucleus. Additionally, a community of Pre-War celebrities who've voluntarily transplanted their brains into Robobrains reside in Vault 118 found underneath Cliff's Edge Hotel. As well, there are 4 buildable settlements on the Island that the Sole Survivor can build on but can only be built on after completely certain quests from the people of Far Harbor: Dalton Farm, Echo Lake Lumber, National Park Visitor's Center, & Longfellow's cabin.
In Nuka-World, the raiders and their slaves reside in Nuka-Town USA, with the Pack residing in the Bradberton Amphitheater, the Operators residing in the Parlor, and the Disciples residing underneath Fizztop Mountain, with trade being established in the Nuka-Town Market. Additionally, a buildable settlement can be created on the outskirts of Nuka-World at the Nuka-World Red Rocket, but only once power has been restored to Nuka-World.
There were a total of 122 Vaults that were known to the public, and this number may not include any of the secret Vaults that the pre-War American government could have constructed for private purposes of protecting high-ranking officials. Most of the Vaults were actually created for testing some sort of social, or emotional flaw and how they would react to it, and only about 17 of the Vaults were actually meant for people to live normal lives in the Vault, and not to be exposed to carnivorous plants (Vault 22), or the door not meant to close all the way, thus exposing the residents to lethal amounts of radiation (Vault 12).
- Vault 3: South Vegas Ruins.
- Vault 8 (Vault City): Northern Nevada.
- Vault 11: South of 188 Trading Post.
- Vault 12: Bakersfield (Necropolis).
- Vault 13: Mt.Whitney, Southern California.
- Vault 15: Southern California.
- Vault 19: Southeast of Red Rock Canyon.
- Vault 21: Inside the Strip in New Vegas.
- Vault 22: In between New Vegas & Jacobstown.
- Vault 34: East of New Vegas & west of Bitter Springs.
- Vault 75: Underneath Malden Middle School in Malden.
- Vault 81: North of Boston.
- Vault 87: Northwest of Little Lamplight.
- Vault 88: Underneath Quincy Quarries.
- Vault 92: Near Old Olney.
- Vault 95: Northeast of the Glowing Sea.
- Vault 101: Northwest of Megaton.
- Vault 106: South of Arefu.
- Vault 108: South of Canterbury Commons.
- Vault 111: Northwest of Sanctuary Hills.
- Vault 112: West of Evergreen Mills underneath Smith Casey's Garage.
- Vault 114: Inside Park Street Station underneath Boston Common.
- Vault 118: Underneath Cliff's Edge Hotel near Far Harbor.
Locations based on real placesEdit
- Adams Air Force Base based on Andrews Naval Air Facility, Maryland.
- The Washington Monument based on itself.
- Bethesda Ruins based on Bethesda Maryland.
- The Citadel based on the Pentagon.
- Little Lamplight based on Luray Caverns, Virginia.
- Many Metro stations are based on actual Metro stations, such as Dupont Circle, L'Enfant Plaza, Foggy Bottom, Metro Central, and Tenleytown.
- Montgomery County Reservoir based in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Old Olney based on Olney, Maryland.
- Raven Rock based on a combination of Raven Rock Mountain Complex (location) and the Mount Weather complex (appearance).
- Fairfax ruins based on Fairfax, Virginia.
- Andale based on Annadale, Virginia.
Core Region (New California)Edit
- New Reno based on Reno, Nevada.
- San Francisco based on San Francisco, California.
- Boneyard based on Los Angeles, California.
- Black Mountain based on Black Mountain.
- Boulder City based on Boulder City, Nevada.
- Goodsprings based on Goodsprings, Nevada.
- Hoover Dam based on Hoover Dam.
- Lake Mead based on Lake Mead.
- Nellis Air Force Base based on Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.
- New Vegas based on Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Nipton based on Nipton, California.
- Primm based on Primm, Nevada.
- Red Rock Canyon based on Red Rock Canyon.
- Camp Searchlight based on Searchlight, Nevada.
- Sloan based on Sloan, Nevada.
- Camp McCarran based on McCarran International Airport.
- Concord based on Concord, Massachusetts.
- Lexington based on Lexington, Massachusetts.
- Salem based on Salem, Massachusetts.
- Natick Banks based on Natick, Massachusetts.
- Quincy Ruins based on Quincy, Massachusetts.
- Nahant based on Nahant, Massachusetts.
- Malden based on Malden, Massachusetts.
- Hyde Park based on Hyde Park, Boston.
- Jamaica Plain based on Jamaica Plain, Boston.
- Diamond City based on Fenway Park.
- Goodneighbor based on Scollay Square & Old State House.
- Faneuil Hall based on Faneuil Hall.
- Boston Common based on Boston Common.
- Boston Airport based on Logan International Airport.
- The Castle based on Castle Island & Fort Independence.
- C.I.T. ruins based on Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- College Square based on Harvard Square.
- Monsignor Plaza based on CambridgeSide Galleria.
- Bunker Hill based on Bunker Hill Monument.
- University Point based on University of Massachusetts Boston (Umass Boston).
- Saugus Ironworks based on Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site.
- Dartmouth Professional Building based on Prudential Tower.
- Hubris Comics based on Newbury Comics flagship store.
- Boston Public Library based on Boston Public Library.
- Massachusetts State House based on Massachusetts State House.
- Old North Church based on Old North Church.
- Trinity Plaza based on Trinity Church.
- Walden Pond based on Walden Pond.
- Charles View Amphitheater based on Hatch Memorial Shell.
- D.B. Technical High School based on Don Bosco Technical High School.
- Mass Bay Medical Center based on Tufts Medical Center.
Four States CommonwealthEdit
- New Canaan based on Ogden, Utah.
- Dog City based on Denver, Colorado.
- Grand Canyon based on Grand Canyon.
- Two Sun based on Tucson, Arizona.
|The following is based on Van Buren and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Boulder aka Dome City or Stone City based on Boulder, Colorado.
- New Jerusalem based on Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Mesa Verde based on Mesa Verde, Colorado.
|End of information based on Van Buren.|
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and some details might contradict canon.|
|End of information based on Fallout Tactics.|