Lincoln's Profit Margins
Locations of items in Museum of History Offices
The words of the great man himself? In his own handwriting? I'll pay 100 caps for it.”— Hannibal Hamlin
|Unmarked Quest: Lincoln's Profit Margins|
|Acquire an artifact of Abraham Lincoln from either: Lincoln's repeater, Lincoln's hat, Lincoln's voice, Action Abe action figure, Civil War draft poster, Lincoln's diary, Antique Lincoln coin collection, John Wilkes Booth wanted poster or Lincoln Memorial poster.|
|Sell the artifact to Abraham Washington in Rivet City.||Sell the artifact to Hannibal Hamlin in the Temple of the Union.||Sell the artifact to Leroy Walker at the Lincoln Memorial.|
|Reward: Bottle caps, varied|
The artifacts of Abraham Lincoln found in the Museum of History can be sold to various people in the Capital Wasteland. Besides selling them to "normal" traders for their item value, certain characters will pay increased prices because of the artifacts' historical value or symbolic meaning.
These characters are Hannibal Hamlin, leader of the ex-slaves at Temple of the Union, Leroy Walker, leader of the slavers who occupy Lincoln Memorial, or Abraham Washington, a historian and curator of Rivet City's Capitol Preservation Society.
All nine artifacts can be found in the Museum of History. The letters refer to locations on the map to the right.
- Lincoln's diary is found when you first go up the steps in the large display room on the way to the Museum of History Offices, lying on the first display to the right. Be aware that the diary might not be on the display so be sure to examine around the general area.
Offices, first floorEdit
- (A) Lincoln's hat is found in a room on the 1st floor of the Museum of History Offices. The room is the first door to the right from the entry stairwell and has a collapsed ceiling (you can also drop down into it from the second floor). The hat is on the floor among the rubble (to the right of the desk on your left when entering the room). It may be hard to spot with the shadows, make sure your Pip-Boy light is on.
- (B) Action Abe action figure is in the Museum of History Offices, behind the Very Hard locked door to the Archive room on a desk near the turret terminal. The room may also be entered from the room on the right through a hole in the wall.
- (C) John Wilkes Booth wanted poster is in the southwest corner of the Museum of History offices on a bookshelf.
- (D) Civil War draft poster can be found in the southeast corner of the museum on the lower office level, on the top shelf of the bookcases you see when looking westwards. It seems that the poster can fall to the ground as well. This may be a result of the turret shooting at ghouls or maybe an odd placement by developers which causes it to fall. Check both top shelf or ground (On randomized, Lincoln's Voice can be found here instead).
Offices, second floorEdit
- (E) Lincoln's voice is found on the second desk to the left at the top of the stairs.
- (F) Lincoln Memorial poster is found on the wall behind the first desk at top of the stairs. This will not spawn until you've started the Head of State quest.
- (G) Antique Lincoln coin collection is found on a bookshelf in a room on the right side of the 2nd floor of the Museum of History Offices. Ascend the stairs in the archive room, turn right (east), go into the first room you find, and the collection should be on a bookshelf you can see while facing westward (or it might have dropped to the floor near the desk).
- (H) Lincoln's repeater is found in a display case on the top floor of the Museum of History Offices, next to a Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual. Go up the stairs in the archive room, go through the big hole in the wall, end of the room, turn left before door. Activate the display and take the repeater (position your cursor correctly).
A successful speech check almost always doubles the price paid for the artifacts. In Abraham's case, a high barter will double the offer.
Important note: There is no way to get back any items sold to Abraham Washington or Leroy Walker, except for the Lincoln Memorial poster. You can however steal back the items you sell to Hannibal. For maximizing profits, you can sell it to Abraham Washington also. The only problem is that Hannibal equips the Lincoln's repeater right after you sell it to him. To resolve this steal any .44 ammunition he has and leave any weapon with ammunition or any melee weapon in his inventory (same trick as reverse-pickpocketing). Hannibal should equip the weapon and unequip Lincoln’s Repeater. If he doesn’t right away, exit The Temple of the Union and enter again.
|Artifact||Hannibal Hamlin||Leroy Walker||Abraham Washington|
|Lincoln's repeater||150 or 300 caps||100 or 200 caps||100 or 200 caps|
|Lincoln's hat||25 or 50 caps (repeatable)||25 or 50 caps||70 or 140 caps|
|Lincoln's voice||50 or 100 caps||50 or 100 caps||60 or 120 caps|
|Action Abe action figure||10 or 20 caps||10 or 20 caps||10 or 20 caps|
|Civil War draft poster||75 or 150 caps||50 or 100 caps||60 or 120 caps|
|Lincoln's diary||100 or 200 caps||75 or 200 caps||100 or 200 caps|
|Antique Lincoln coin collection||15 or 30 caps||15 or 30 caps||15 or 30 caps|
|John Wilkes Booth wanted poster||50 or 100 caps||75 or 150 caps||70 or 140 caps|
|Lincoln Memorial poster||no offer||100 or 200 caps||no offer|
- Highest payouts are underlined and bolded.
- The Barter text for Abraham will incorrectly state the amount the Barter check will grant you. It will always be lower than 2x the original offer, even though you'll get 2x if you pass the check.
- Be careful to sell it to Leroy first if you plan to give the picture of the Lincoln Memorial to the Temple of the Union. If you happen to run into Caleb first, he will thank you profusely and remove the picture, but you won't get paid anything. This happens automatically, and appears to be analogous to Hannibal equipping and wearing Lincoln's hat or Lincoln's repeater when they are delivered to him. Except that you cannot (reverse) pickpocket the Lincoln Memorial poster from Caleb afterwards.
- Selling at least one artifact to Leroy Walker will grant you access to the memorial without being shot. Only the Lincoln Memorial poster can be sold to Leroy and pickpocketed back. Everything else is destroyed once sold to him.
- Hannibal's Speech check must be passed individually for each item sold to get that item's bonus and increases with difficulty with each item sold, but is independent of the order in which the items are sold. To maximize your profits, sell the most expensive items first to have the best chance of getting their more substantial bonus reward.
- It appears before completing Head of State your chance of passing the Speech check is more difficult. An example for one player being 48-57% chance to pass when speaking to him at the Temple of the Union, and 74-78% chance of passing the Speech check once he has taken residence at the Lincoln Memorial.
- After selling Lincoln's hat or Lincoln's repeater to Hannibal Hamlin he will immediately equip these items.
- You can also sell the artifacts to Hannibal then kill him and get the items back which can then be traded to Abraham Washington in Rivet City for more caps. However, killing Hannibal will result in bad Karma. Alternatively, you can just pickpocket the items back right when you sell them.
- Lincoln items that are sold to Hannibal and then pickpocketed back will appear in red text if dropped, and must be "stolen" to be picked up again. This only happens once however, and does not result in Karma loss.
- After selling Lincoln's hat to Hamlin, it can be pickpocketed and sold to Hamlin an infinite number of times, without the speech option, gaining 25 caps for every sale. This requires you reverse-pickpocket a hat or helmet with a sufficient DR and condition (a 10% combat helmet with DR 2 won't work, but a 50% hockey mask is fine). Do this when he sleeps: after the sell, leave his room, save, load and re-enter his room to pickpocket the hat again.
- pc xbox360 With a high barter selling Lincoln's voice to Washington, the high barter option will be "Make it 80, and you have a deal" even though you still get the expected 120 caps in the end. [verified]
- pc xbox360 With a high barter selling John Wilkes Booth wanted poster to Washington, the high barter option will be "Make it 90, and you have a deal" even though you still get the expected 140 caps in the end. [verified]