The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
|Brotherhood of Steel radiant quest: Learning Curve|
|Accept a patrol from Proctor Quinlan on the Prydwen main deck.|
|Speak to the scribe companion at the Boston Airport.|
|Travel to the assigned area.|
Escort the scribe to the marked terminal.
|Report back to Proctor Quinlan.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
The shelter is west of Fort Hagen, there's a terminal in the raised office outside that can unlock the door. Once inside there's a laser turret behind the security gate and two more near the terminal.
The reservoir is on the west side, south of Fort Hagen and north of Natick. The terminal needed is just inside and to the right of the door.
South of Milton General hospital and west of Hyde Park. This location functions as the Gunners HQ. Either fight through the front door or use the side stairway to enter via the roof. Then make your way to the other side of the entry hall, go around the divider and take the right hall at the split, go into the first room, up the stairs and through the door in the corner. The terminal is in the corner of the room.
The terminal is at the lowest level where the ghouls are getting in. The fastest way to get to it is actually to go in the back entrance. Go the the factory and to the ramp just east of the ground floor entrance, go straight over the railing in front of the ramp and walk backwards, the sewer entrance should be right there. The terminal is a short distance forward.
Located between Sanctuary and Tenpines Bluff and north of Thicket Excavations. Take out any raiders if present, go into the bunker and head down the stairs and to the left. Lookout for a laser trap with a tesla arc on the ceiling past the door frame by the exit sign at the bottom of the staircase. Continuing straight you will come to a larger room with a column in the middle of it. Go to the right, follow the hall down the stairs and turn right at the first door. There is a fusion core if you have not already grabbed it. The computer will be to the right of the fusion core.
Return to the Prydwen and collect your reward.
- If this quest leads the Scribe to a terminal with an available "Database" entry, the entry will change after the Scribe accesses it. Instead of saying "Database Network Status: Offline", the menu option will read, in part, "For your safety, this database is now property of the Brotherhood of Steel. - Ad victoriam"
- The scribe takes damage from radiation exposure and power armor landing.
- You may collect your reward and repeat the mission even if the scribe dies.
- Keeping scribe alive in Gunners Plaza may be real challenge for high leveled player. You could use following tips to save him:
- At the mission start, pickpocket the scribe and put a number of stimpaks in his inventory. He will use them automatically in combat when needed. Check from time to time that he has enough left.
- Never leave him to wander unattended, as he tends to trigger traps and engage the attention of enemies. Always enter new areas in front of him.
- When using an elevator, never leave him outside. Push him inside, and only after he is in, press the button to activate the lift. If left outside, he will spawn at random on another level and can easily die in combat while unprotected.
- When traveling with the scribe, avoid areas of BOS operations - coming too close to a vertibird engaged in combat, the scribe will rush into combat screaming "Ad Victoriam!". As you cannot command him, he will remain engaged in battle until he dies or all of the enemy combatants are defeated.
- Use sniping from distance as much as possible to keep the scribe out of combat. He tends to fight at relatively close range, making it more difficult to intercept enemies that are targeting him.
- This quest is frequently listed as one of the easiest ways to earn XP in Fallout 4. The scribe can be killed from the flight deck of the Prydwen, which makes it possible to complete the quest repeatedly in very little time. This can be done by accepting the quest from Proctor Quinlan, sniping the scribe from the Prydwen flight deck, and returning to Proctor Quinlan. This is all done in a short period of time and without leaving the Prydwen. In terms of a 'time and effort expended to XP gained' ratio, this is one of the highest possible in the game. Alternatively, if you have the Aquaboy perk, you can let the scribe drown by waiting underwater for a couple minutes in the lake near the Boston Airport, where you first meet the scribe.
- Another, less "cheap" method is to accept the quest from Quinlan, speak to the scribe so that he accompanies you, and then proceed about the Commonwealth with the scribe as your quasi companion, ignoring the Learning Curve quest. When the scribe dies in combat (they can potentially survive a very long time), return to Quinlan, turn in the failed quest, and then immediately accept the quest again. Return to the Scribe and repeat the process. This has the advantage of still rewarding the player with a fair amount of XP, but having an additional quasi companion who will aid you in fights and remaining more in keeping with the spirit of the role playing aspects and game design.
- If SS boards a Vertibird the scribe will run after it. Very often into an agro and die.
- The scribe will also be killed by tamed animals at a settlement.
- pc xboxone ps4The scribe may not interact with the terminal when you bring them to it. This can be fixed a number of ways:[verified]
- Exit the bunker and enter it again.
- Reverting to a previous save before entering the shelter.
- Leave, wait three to four days, and return.
- Bring up the console, target the scribe, type disable, then enable.
- Bring up the console, type setstage BoSR04 50, then setstage BoSR04 60.
- ps4 If the scribe dies, the player will be asked to return to Proctor Quinlan. The quest then will be marked as completed instead of failed, granting caps and experience to the player and remaining repeatable. It's possible to gain infinite caps and experience by exploiting this glitch.[verified]
- pc Proctor Quinlan's dialogue is blank, making it impossible to start the quest.[verified]
- pc Any sentry bot hacked and given command to follow will treat the scribe as a hostile target.[verified]
- pc Protectrons on board of the USS Constitution may treat the scribe as a hostile target.[verified]
- pc The scribe could die and the quest not update. If this happens you can use the console command setstage BoSR04 60. [verification overdue]
- pc xboxoneIf Idiot Savant procs when turning in the quest, you will sometimes not get the 3x or 5x multiple of experience points.[verified]
- xboxone Sometimes, when fast-traveling the scribe may spawn in the air and die when they impact on the ground. A way to prevent this from occurring is to use a Vertibird instead of fast-traveling. [verification overdue]