Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The LAER resembles a mix of many existing energy weapons; the barrel looks like the pulse gun, the microfusion cell is held in a basket on the bottom like a plasma rifle, the stock is similar to a laser rifle, and it displays vacuum tubes similar to a recharger rifle. It also offers very high damage (on par with the plasma caster) for low ammunition consumption making it a great all around weapon.
Drawbacks of this weapon include its low critical hit damage, low item HP and its rarity, so the player may have to rely on the Jury Rigging perk or weapon repair kits, especially if using over or max charged ammunition. It's worth noting that it has a very high spread for an energy rifle, equivalent to the laser RCW, limiting its usefulness at longer ranges.
When compared to its variant, Elijah's advanced LAER, the standard model could be viewed as the more practical version as it has 50% more HP, although it does shoot slower.
The LAER can fire a total of about 370 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 19 reloads, or 14 reloads when modified with the auxiliary recharger chip, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Auxiliary recharger chip|
- LAER mod - auxiliary recharger chip - recycles one round per four shots.
- LAER mod - prismatic lens - splits the beam into three beams increasing total damage by 30% similar to the Laser rifle beam splitter.
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Weapon spread||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
|LAER With all weapon mods attached fnvowb||84.5|
|Elijah's advanced LAER fnvowb||65||178.8||2.75||x1.5||15||32||2||0.08||15||245||4||8500||2125||75||4|
|Elijah's advanced LAER With all weapon mods attached fnvowb||84.5||232.4||2.75||x1.5||15||32||2.6||0.08||15(20)||245||4||14000||3500||75||4|
Seven LAERs can be found in total:
- One can be found in the Big MT north tunnel, toward the northernmost side of the lower level below the force field.
- Another one can be found at the X-8 research center on Gabe's corpse.
- One can be found at X-7a "Left Field" artillery launch on the corpse of the unique sentry bot, RY-589 Ultimo bot.
- Another one is in the Forbidden Zone dome, in the second floor room, just left of the brain tank.
- One can be found on top of the X-13 research facility. In order to reach it, the player character must jump down from the cliff to the north. The cliff can be climbed by jumping up a pile of rocks just to the west of the Big MT west tunnel.
- Another one is in the X-42 robo-warfare facility on the corpse of the giant robo-scorpion.
- The last one, along with various energy weapon ammunition, is in the same room as above in a chamber connected to the exit platform. It is on a table in the middle of the room, and it is in good condition. This one requires a force field to be disabled in order to gain access to it.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The LAER uses the same electric beam weapons technology also developed in the Secret Vault.
- It was at first a cut energy weapon of Fallout: New Vegas, appearing in the concept art section of the Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's edition complete with its own icon in the game file.
- The name implies a function like modern attempts at making electrolasers which use lasers to create a conductive plasma conduit in the air and then discharge an electrical differential across the conduit. While practical devices do not yet exist, the concept has been proven and the effect on the target is dependent upon the amount of energy delivered. At lower powers the effect would be much like a stun gun and higher energies being more like a bolt of lightning.