WHAT IS THIS, A HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE FAIR?! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK LIKE A COLLECTION OF ROUND-EARTHERS!”
Doctor Klein is a pre-War doctor and the chief/head researcher of logistical operations and ideology at Big MT. Sometime after the Great War, he became a think tank to continue his work at Big MT. He seems to be overconfident in his intelligence, as he shows absolutely no grasp of the purpose or function of the advanced technology he tasks the Courier to retrieve.
Along with his original name and human memories, Klein has lost much of his knowledge of human anatomy, and refers to the Courier's fingers and toes as "penises". He is shown to fear and hate Dr. Mobius, although they were partners at one time. He seems to hold his colleagues in low regard, often ignoring their advice. At the end of Old World Blues, it is revealed that he and the think-tank stole the Courier's brain in order to escape their imprisonment in Big MT and go into the Mojave to conduct ruthless experiments on both the Wasteland and its denizens, much like the implementation of the Cloud in the Sierra Madre to test the chemical, hazmat suits and Auto-Doc technology.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Sonic Emitter Upgrade: Klein wants the player character to go to the X-8 research center and take the Basic Institutional Test, which eventually leads to upgrading the sonic emitter and thus taking down the force fields.
- X-2: Strange Transmissions!: Klein wants the player character to disable the X-2 transmitter
- X-8: High School Horror!: Klein asks the player character to retrieve the three student records from the X-8 Institutional Facility.
- X-13: Attack of the Infiltrator!: Klein wants the player character to head to the X-13 research facility and find parts for the X-13 cardiac regulator sneak suit.
- Old World Blues: After completing the given tasks, return to Dr. Klein for further information.
- Welcome to the Big Empty: The player character has to talk to Klein, as with the rest of the Think tank, to complete the quest.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|-||Electron charge packs, over charge
Microfusion cells, over charge
- When Dr. Mobius comments on what the scientists have forgotten, friendship is probably aimed at Dr. Klein, who barely acknowledges his colleagues, and even regards them more as understudies or employees than his friends.
- Throughout Old World Blues, he speaks in a very loud voice, as apparently the other scientists or Elijah have messed around with the volume control on his chassis; this is why Dr. Klein's dialogue is always in all-caps.
- Klein has a hatred for the words "mutiny" and "jism".
- Inside Klein's house, directly above the door, is a large Old World flag. This could imply Klein was or still is an American patriot. This could explain his willingness to help Ulysses.
- "ATTENTION: BIG MT. THIS IS AN URGENT MESSAGE. IF YOU HAPPEN TO SEE A GECKO... ECKO. ECHO? ECH-O. ECHOOOO. ECHOOOO."
- "WHAT DID IT SAY? SPIT "LEAD?" WHAT, LIKE PENCILS?"
- "WHAT IS IT? THE LOBOTOMITE IS ASKING ME THINGS, O, AND I AM TRYING TO IGNORE THEM. MY PROCESSORS CAN'T IGNORE YOU BOTH AT THE SAME TIME."
- "WHAT IS THIS, A HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE FAIR?! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK LIKE A COLLECTION OF ROUND-EARTHERS!"
- "WHAT ILLOGIC IS THIS?! KEEP YOUR FILTHY PENIS-TIPPED FEET OUT OF OUR LABS AND SECRETS!"
- "IT IS NOT AN ARGUMENT IF ONE IS CLEARLY RIGHT AND THE OTHER IS CLEARLY WRONG!"
Doctor Klein appears only in Old World Blues.
Behind the scenesEdit
- His name is a reference to the mathematician Felix Klein who thought of the Klein bottle, a three dimensional non-orientable object in four dimensional space, an equivalent to the Mobius strip in a higher dimension.
- The three perks that he can give the courier (Heartless, Brainless, and Spineless) are references to The Wizard of Oz: the scarecrow was missing a brain, the tin man was missing a heart, and the lion was missing courage.