In 2161, the Khans lurched out in an open house to the southeast of Shady Sands, with tents around for lesser raiders. The leader of the Khans at that time was Garl, but he was killed by the Vault Dweller who came there to rescue Tandi, who had been kidnapped by the raiders. The Vault Dweller also killed most of Garl's companions, except for one young fellow called Darion (unseen in-game), who later became the founder of the New Khans.
The Khan Base is centered around the main building, which appears to be a jail of some sort. There are also four small tents where the raiders sleep and an outhouse behind the main building.
The base has a boxing ring. The Vault Dweller can enter it only when fighting Garl to rescue Tandi.
- 20 .44 Magnum rounds in the eastern most tent.
- 2 Molotov cocktails in a bookcase in the main building.
- 40 shotgun shells and 80 .44 Magnum FMJ rounds in a desk inside the main building.
- 1 bundle of dynamite, 5 shotgun shells, 1 shotgun, 1 leather jacket, 98 bottle caps and 1 set of lock picks located inside the fridge within the main building.
- The background music is Khans of New California, which has been later used for the Den and mercenaries' cave.
- If the Vault Dweller is male, is wearing a leather jacket and has a Luck of 9, the raiders will mistake the Vault Dweller for Garl's father, the previous leader of the Khans before Garl killed him.
The Khans can automatically become hostile especially if you saved and loaded inside Garl's room. This can be avoided by exiting to the main menu, reloading the save and not lingering in the area.