| ||For other characters who appear in the Fallout universe named Kenny, see Kenny.|
I bet I can burp louder than you.”— Kenny
Fleeing the other Swampfolk because he wasn't born with the right "look," Kenny (also known as "Latchkey Kenny") is a lonely child looking for a friend to play with. He's holed up in the old Herzog Mine. The kid is exceptional at rigging traps.
He was born to swampfolk and spent his early childhood hidden in his parent's basement because he "don't got the marks" which caused the other swampfolk to shoot at him like they would shoot at the others without the marks. During his time in the cellar he learned how to make traps by taking apart and rebuilding anything he could find. He later ran away from home and took up residence in the old mine. Kenny might have chosen the mine because rumors of it being haunted would keep locals away.
He stays in his makeshift house and on occasions he shoots junk off of a shelf with his BB gun.
Interactions with the player character
Effects of player actions
With a speech check, using Child at Heart or by retrieving his Kenny Bear from the bottom of the Mine's Shaft he will allow you to stay with him in the mine, and will let you store your loot in the containers. You can also play either tag or hide-and-seek with him when asked.
- Kenny's nickname of "Latchkey Kenny" is a reference to the phenomenon of Latchkey kids, children who return to an empty home because their parents are at work or otherwise absent, or who spends large amounts of time without parental supervision. Both definitions apply to Kenny.
- When you ask him about Mr. Herzog, he will say he hung himself. When you travel deeper into the mine (Blackdamp Shaft) you can see a skeleton dangling by its neck from a rope.
- You can play hide and seek or tag with Kenny if you manage to persuade him to let you stay in his mine.
- If you could not persuade Kenny to let you use the mines as a safehouse, you can find his teddy called Kenny-bear deeper into the mine (Blackdamp Shaft) and return it to him and he will let you stay.
- You can return Kenny-bear to Kenny even if you have convinced him to let you stay although there is no reward other than his thanks.
- Oftentimes Kenny can be seen shooting items off a shelf in his room for target practice with his BB gun
- The items Kenny shoots at with his BB gun respawn occasionally. They include a toy car for weapon creation and a camera that can be handed in to Scribe Rothchild (If the player has Broken Steel).
- Kenny wears a wasteland scout uniform. The uniform can be obtained by reverse-pickpocketing Kenny with better armor. Like Elder Lyons' robe, the Pip-Boy icon is that of a Vault 101 jumpsuit.
- Kenny can, in fact, be reverse pickpocketed armor and weapons. He can even wear power armor. When given weapons and ammunition for them, he will use them for his target practice.
- He is armed with a BB gun and threatens to shoot the player on their first meeting.
- Kenny is a joke about the urban myths of hillbillies having disfigured children due to inbreeding and locking the disfigured child in a basement to hide the child out of shame, but a reverse version of this myth. Instead of normal parents hiding their disfigured child in a basement, it is disfigured parents hiding their normal child in a basement.
- Since all of the swampfolk in Point Lookout appear to be male, how Kenny came to be is somewhat puzzling.
- According to him, he eats mirelurk meat to stay alive. How he manages to kill mirelurks with a BB gun is a mystery.
- Kenny's childhood experience is similar to that of The Golden Youth in the film The Road Warrior.
- "I bet you can't beat me in a race, you look reeeal slow."
- "Did you know I once bagged a mirelurk ten feet tall!"
- "This one time I'm pretty sure I moved a bottle with my mind"
- "Did you turn invisible or something?" - when the player is in the hidden state during Hide and Seek.
- "Wow, you're pretty good at this game." - When the player is in the hidden state during Hide and Seek.
- pc ps3 xbox360 While he is sleeping, the player has the option to "Murder" him (only with the Mister Sandman perk). However, if you use the Murder option, he will still be alive. The player will still gain exp (even with patched version), and this can be repeated for infinite exp.
- If you play hide and seek with Kenny and use Stealth Boy you can talk to Kenny and he will reply as usual but the second you move while standing you will be "found"