|Main quest: Jewel of the Commonwealth|
|Talk to Mama Murphy.|
|Go to Diamond City.|
|Talk with the guard via the intercom and the troublemaker.|
|Leads to: Story of the Century|
|Find information about Shaun.|
|Go to Valentine Detective Agency.|
|Reward: 150+ XP|
|Leads to: Unlikely Valentine|
This quest becomes available at the conclusion of When Freedom Calls quest. Alternatively, the player may simply happen across Diamond City while exploring. Either way, the Sole Survivor will be told that Diamond City is the best hope for gaining further information about Shaun. Getting there from Sanctuary Hills is a long trek southeast. Upon crossing the bridge into the remains of the city, look for signs pointing in the direction of Diamond City.
At the entrance, the Sole Survivor will witness a confrontation between Piper Wright, the owner of the city's local newspaper Publick Occurrences, and McDonough, the mayor of the city. Piper will use the Sole Survivor to trick the guard into open the gate, thus letting them both in.
Asking any of the following NPCs provides a clue to the Survivor's next move:
- Danny Sullivan - the gate guard.
- Pastor Clements - of the All Faiths Chapel.
- Nat Wright - Piper's kid sister, selling copies of Publick Occurrences.
- Piper Wright - after being interviewed.
- Moe Cronin - Swatters salesman extraordinaire.
- John - the barber.
- Arturo Rodriguez- the weapons merchant.
Speaking with any of those people will direct the player character to the Valentine Detective Agency. However, upon arrival at Valentine's place of business, his secretary, Ellie Perkins will inform the Sole Survivor that Valentine disappeared while working on a case. Ellie hopes the Sole Survivor might lend a hand to help find him. Charming Miss Perkins will allow the player character to shake her down for a few caps upon delivery of her boss. In any case, agreeing to help will finish the quest and start Unlikely Valentine.
- If the Sole Survivor goes to the Memory Den in Goodneighbor, they can relive Shaun's kidnapping. Afterwards, Irma will apologize for having to experience that again, and if they have not already done so, she will say that the Sole Survivor needs to go to Nick Valentine's office in Diamond City. The quest will update straight to visiting Nick's office.
- If Nick is rescued in Vault 114 without having visited Diamond City first, the quest Jewel of the Commonwealth will be auto-completed and the quest Unlikely Valentine will start.
- If going to Diamond City at night, Piper will still be there.
- If Sole Survivor successfully convinces Danny Sullivan that one is genuinely a merchant, he will give the player character some caps as reward.