The activated Purifier in Broken Steel.
Tin foil hat time children, my eyes and ears tell me the big, bad government has taken over that big machine thingy at the Jefferson Memorial. You heard it here first my friends, the Enclave is on the scene.”— Three Dog, Galaxy News Radio
Jefferson Memorial is a monument in the Capital Wasteland in 2277. The location forms a central part in the game's storyline, with several main and side quests taking part here. It has five interior sections that can be accessed.
The Jefferson Memorial was a memorial in Washington, D.C. dedicated to the eighteenth century politician Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was the principal author of the original draft of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States. This 20th century monument was built on the bank of the Tidal Basin of the River Potomac, and it was a major tourist site, perhaps second only to the Washington Monument. Unlike many other monuments in the city which were severely damaged or destroyed in the Great War of 2077, the Jefferson Memorial survived relatively intact into the twenty-third century.
In the 2250s, the Memorial was selected by project lead James for Project Purity, primarily due to its location. The project's stated aim was for converting the Memorial into a water purifier where the river's water could be cleansed of radiation for use by residents of the Capital Wasteland. Project Purity was abandoned after James' wife Catherine died giving birth to their child, and then picked up again 20 years later.
The statue of Thomas Jefferson can be seen in pristine condition submerged within the Project Purity facility as it is activated.
In the add-on Broken Steel, the Purifier is operational. Brotherhood of Steel Knights and Scribes work inside and patrol the outside of the Memorial under the direction of Bigsley, overseeing the ongoing operation of Project Purity and organizing distribution of the Aqua Pura it generates. Additional Knights patrol the catwalks and shore for dying mirelurks, which apparently are being poisoned by the clean water. This may be due to the fact that mirelurks evolved after much of the Wasteland's water was irradiated, and can thus only survive in radioactive water.
The water caravans that depart from the Jefferson Memorial take a C-Route from the Memorial, west to Smith Casey's Garage, Northeast to Paradise Falls and then continues to the Republic of Dave where it turns around back on its route.
The exterior of the Jefferson Memorial has a variety of platforms as well as a few super mutant patrols. The entrance to the memorial is through the gift shop doors on either side of the platforms.
Upon entering the memorial from the gift shop side entrance you come upon a long hallway. At the other end of this hallway is a rubble filled room with a sewer grate hatch that is accessible and is a main part during The Waters of Life quest. Taking a right down the hall leads to some sort of lobby that has the gift shop and a turret emplaced on the roof, Bigsley's office during Broken Steel, to the left and ruined bathrooms to the right. Once past the second double doors you enter an area of ruined corridors and entrances to the Rotunda and the Memorial sub-basement. Before The Waters of Life quest these areas are filled with level dependent super mutants, including super mutant overlords in higher levels. This area includes many random junk items, and one Nuka-Cola vending machine.
The Rotunda is home to the Project Purity Purifier, the purifier itself is built around the statue of Thomas Jefferson. The Rotunda floor is covered in water and can not be swam through. The purifier has two levels of catwalks that hang over the pool of water that was the Rotunda floor. The first level catwalk encircles the purifier with a dead end at one end and a staircase leading to the second level on the other. The second level is an enclosed catwalk of steel and glass window walls. The activation panel is located here along with the Auxiliary Filtration Input system panel for which the modified FEV can be injected into. Two leveled super mutants will spawn here, one on the first level catwalk and the other on the second levels.
Going down the stairs you enter into a room filled with ruined desks and shelves and a gore bag left from the super mutants. In the middle of this room is a fence surrounded opening that looks down onto the flood pools on the below level. To the left of this opening is the Mainframe which can only be accessed during and after The Waters of Life quest. To the right is a hall leading to a room on the left and the stairwell to the below level. The room on the left of this hall is a small clinic with an examination table and medical and surgical tools on a tray. This is the room in which the Lone Wanderer was born.
Down the stairs you enter into what used to be the living quarters for the Project Purity Science Team filled with bunkbeds, footlockers, and filing cabinets. Past this room you come to a four way intersection of hallways. Taking a right leads to the flood pools. Taking a left leads you to the Flood Control switch and your father's sleeping quarters. Going straight forward leads you to a turn and a room on the right at the end of the hallway. This room leads to another room where the Auxiliary Power Fuse Box is located. This room and the flood pools area are connected here by a small hallway. This area is filled with level dependent super mutants, and the Memorial sub-basement plays a key role during The Waters of Life quest.
- The room in which the Lone Wanderer was born can be found on the sub-basement level. After exiting the stairwell leading to the sub-basement, take the corridor to the right and immediately turn left. There will be a Super Mutant inside on your first visit. The room contains a hospital bed and medical equipment, but no notable loot. The gene projector can be found folded up against the ceiling.
- In the room in which you find the "Better Days" note, there is a framed photo of Revelation 21:6.
- If you started the Strictly Business quest and used the Mesmetron on Flak, his buddy Shrapnel will wander around this area and will help you shoot down the super mutants or Enclave that spawn in the area.
- Broken Steel After completing The Waters of Life, Enclave troopers will storm the memorial, and (most of the time) get killed by Brotherhood of Steel knights/paladins. They will respawn every 3 days, so this is a great source of power armor, BoS holotags, and energy weapons.
- It is possible to get on the Memorial itself, though you must have the purifier activated. All you have to do is jump on the yellow barrels near the fences and do a catwalk on the fence. Then jump over the rails and onto the steps.
- Broken Steel pc It is possible to re-enter the Memorial sub-basement after starting Broken Steel by using the console command tcl to walk through the Sift Pump pipe, where you saw an Enclave Vertibird land during The Waters of Life. If you enter the Gift Shop from the basement, however, it will appear as it did before Broken Steel.
Jefferson Memorial appears only in Fallout 3.
- ps3 pc xbox360 After The Waters of Life quest, part of the fence is missing, so you can walk inside; the Enclave troops within are not hostile. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 If you kill all the hostiles inside the Jefferson Memorial before talking to Dr. Li for the first time, you won't be able to give your Dad the all-clear during The Waters of Life. Thus, you won't be able to let him inside and you'll be unable to finish the game. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 If you tell Fawkes to leave right before activating the purifier, once you get to "Broken Steel", he will be stuck on an inaccessible part of the Jefferson Memorial. [verified]
- ↑ Afterward - Moira Brown: "Jefferson Purifier - Guards still refuse to allow access to see how the Purifier works. They say it's to prevent sabotage, but I think they aren't entirely certain."