The activated Purifier in Broken Steel.
Tin foil hat time children, my eyes and ears tell me the big, bad government has taken over that big machine thingy at the Jefferson Memorial. You heard it here first my friends, the Enclave is on the scene.”— Three Dog, Galaxy News Radio
Jefferson Memorial is a monument in the Capital Wasteland in 2277. The location forms a central part in the game's storyline, with several main and side quests taking part here. It has five interior sections that can be accessed.
The Jefferson Memorial was a memorial in Washington, D.C. dedicated to the 18th century politician Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was the principal author of the original draft of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States of America. This 20th century monument was built on the bank of the Tidal Basin of the River Potomac, and it was a major tourist site, perhaps second only to the Washington Monument. Unlike many other monuments in the city which were severely damaged or destroyed in the Great War of 2077, the Jefferson Memorial survived relatively intact into the 23rd century.
In the 2250s, the Memorial was selected by project lead James for Project Purity, primarily due to its location. The project's stated aim was for converting the Memorial into a water purifier where the river's water could be cleansed of radiation for use by residents of the Capital Wasteland. Project Purity was abandoned after James' wife Catherine died giving birth to their child, and then picked up again 20 years later.
The statue of Thomas Jefferson can be seen in pristine condition submerged within the Project Purity facility as it is activated.
In the add-on Broken Steel, the Purifier is operational. Brotherhood of Steel Knights and Scribes work inside and patrol the outside of the Memorial under the direction of Bigsley, overseeing the ongoing operation of Project Purity and organizing distribution of the Aqua Pura it generates. Additional Knights patrol the catwalks and shore for dying mirelurks, which apparently are being poisoned by the clean water. This may be due to the fact that mirelurks evolved after much of the Wasteland's water was irradiated, and can thus only survive in radioactive water.
The water caravans that depart from the Jefferson Memorial take a C-Route from the Memorial, west to Smith Casey's Garage, Northeast to Paradise Falls and then continues to the Republic of Dave where it turns around back on its route.
The exterior of the Jefferson Memorial has a variety of platforms as well as a few super mutant patrols. The entrance to the memorial is through the gift shop doors on either side of the platforms.
Upon entering the memorial from the gift shop side entrance you come upon a long hallway. At the other end of this hallway is a rubble filled room with a sewer grate hatch that is accessible and is a main part during the Waters of Life quest. Taking a right down the hall leads to some sort of lobby that has the gift shop and a turret emplaced on the roof, Bigsley's office during Broken Steel, to the left and ruined bathrooms to the right. Once past the second double doors you enter an area of ruined corridors and entrances to the Rotunda and the Memorial sub-basement. Before the Waters of Life quest these areas are filled with level dependent super mutants, including super mutant overlords in higher levels. This area includes many random junk items, and one Nuka-Cola vending machine.
The Rotunda is home to the Project Purity Purifier, the purifier itself is built around the statue of Thomas Jefferson. The Rotunda floor is covered in water and can not be swam through. The purifier has two levels of catwalks that hang over the pool of water that was the Rotunda floor. The first level catwalk encircles the purifier with a dead end at one end and a staircase leading to the second level on the other. The second level is an enclosed catwalk of steel and glass window walls. The activation panel is located here along with the Auxiliary Filtration Input system panel for which the modified FEV can be injected into. Two leveled super mutants will spawn here, one on the first level catwalk and the other on the second levels.
Going down the stairs you enter into a room filled with ruined desks and shelves and a gore bag left from the super mutants. In the middle of this room is a fence surrounded opening that looks down onto the flood pools on the below level. To the left of this opening is the Mainframe which can only be accessed during and after the Waters of Life quest. To the left is a hall leading to a room on the left and the stairwell to the below level. The room on the left of this hall is a small clinic with a examination table and medical and surgical tools on a tray.
Down the stairs you enter into what used to be the living quarters for the Project Purity Science Team filled with bunkbeds, footlockers, and filing cabinets. Past this room you come to a four way intersection of hallways. Taking a right leads to the flood pools. Taking a left leads you to the Flood Control switch and your father's sleeping quarters. Going straight forward leads you to a turn and a room on the right at the end of the hallway. This room leads to another room where the Auxiliary Power Fuse Box is located. This room and the flood pools area are connected here by a small hallway. This area is filled with level dependent super mutants, and the Memorial sub-basement plays a key role during the Waters of Life quest.
- People will call this location "Project Purity" during and after Broken Steel events.
- In the room in which you find the "Better Days" note, there is a framed Revelation 21:6, a passage of the bible which holds special significance due to the connection to the Lone Wanderer's mother.
- When fast traveling to the Jefferson Memorial Building after beginning the Broken Steel quest-line, the western bridge of Project Purity will be the site of a battle between Enclave forces consisting of 2-4 soldiers and a sentry bot, and Project Purity defenders including 2-3 Rivet City security officers, a scavenger, a Brotherhood of Steel Knight, and a Scribe. All combatants respawn after 72 hours, making this a good place to recover BoS holotags and scribe robes as well as Enclave equipment. *Sometimes the NPC's do not respawn after 72 hours, see bugs for more info on this.
- If you started the Strictly Business quest and used the Mesmetron on Flak, his buddy Shrapnel will wander around this area and will help you shoot down the super mutants or Enclave that spawn in the area.
- If the player is in the area when a caravan passes through, super mutants at the nearby camp may kill both the merchant and his guard.
- It is possible to get on the Memorial, though you must have the purifier activated. All you have to do is jump on the yellow barrels near the fences and do a catwalk on the fence. Then jump over the rails and onto the steps.
- At the back of the rotunda there is an elevator that is inaccessible.
- If you follow Liberty Prime to the Memorial, but do not complete the quest, by returning to the Memorial later via the same route you can find Liberty Prime still there fighting 4 or 5 more Enclave soldiers.
- On the east side of the purified Tidal Basin, there will be a few Brotherhood of Steel initiates burning dead mirelurks with flamers.
- In Bigsley's office there is a radio that is marked as an owned object. Activating it will cause Bigsley and the scribes outside his office to turn hostile as if the player had instead stolen an item.
- The room in which the Lone Wanderer was born can be found on the sub-basement level. After exiting the stairwell leading to the sub-basement take the corridor to the right and immediately turn left. On your first visit to the level, the room will contain the first super mutant you will encounter. The room contains a hospital bed and medical equipment, but no notable loot. The gene projector can be found folded up against the ceiling.
- Broken Steel After completing The Waters of Life, Enclave troopers will storm the memorial, and (most of the time) get killed by Brotherhood of Steel knights/paladins. They will respawn every 3 days, so this is a great source of power armor, and energy weapons.
- After the Brotherhood of Steel gain control of the memorial, in Bigsley's office there are at least 16 sledgehammers in one.
- Centaurs will still wander into the outside area after you secure the place.
- If you use console command "tcl" to cross the pulse fields before Liberty Prime destroys them, some Enclave personnel inside will be friendly.
- After completing Take it Back! the water in the basin will no longer be irradiated.
Jefferson Memorial appears only in Fallout 3.
- ps3 pc xbox360 After the Waters of Life quest, part of the fence is missing and so you can walk inside, also the Enclave troops within are non-hostile. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Before talking to Doctor Li for the first time, If you go to the Jefferson memorial and kill all hostiles inside and out then go on to do the quest The Waters of Life, you won't be able to give your Dad the all clear and let him inside and thus unable to finish the game. [verified]