|1||LCK 5||You're not stupid! Just... different. Randomly receive 3x XP from any action, and the lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d245e|
|2||LCK 5, LVL 11||You now randomly receive 5x XP from any action. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d245f|
|3||LCK 5, LVL 31||Randomly receiving bonus XP from any action may trigger 3x XP for all kills for a short period of time. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d2460|
For ranks 1 and 2, the perk randomly activates whenever you gain experience from any source. At 1 Intelligence, the chance of activation is 11%, and you lose 1% per added point of Intelligence. The chance minimizes at 1% at Intelligence 11 or higher.
When the perk activates, you will see a laughing Vault-Boy above the compass, and hear a laughing sound. The experience you would have earned will instead be boosted to 3x (for rank 1) or 5x (for rank 2+). This boost is multiplicative with any normally additive experience bonuses from being well-rested or having a high Intelligence.
The probability for the "kill bonus" from rank 3 appears to be independent of the bonus experience from rank 1 and 2 and the probability of it triggering is currently unknown. The effect lasts 60 seconds.
Comparison to IntelligenceEdit
|Intelligence||Multiplier from INT||Chance||Average (Rank 1)||Average (Rank 2)||Overall (Rank 1)||Overall (Rank 2)|
When comparing a perk point to put into higher Intelligence or Idiot Savant, it is worth comparing the returns you get. Each point in Intelligence improves experience gain by 3%. Consulting the above table, it can be seen that with two levels of this perk, average experience gain is optimized at 2 INT and actually drops with each additional Intelligence point until very high levels of Intelligence.
- One can potentially exploit any quest for a huge amount of experience. This can be done via saving before finishing a quest and reloading the game until the perk triggers the multiplication.
- When turning in a quest where the final step requires speaking to someone, you can Quicksave mid-conversation just before the final lines of dialogue are spoken. This will save some time with reloading.
- Idiot Savant events are tracked in the Pip-Boy Data under "Bright Ideas".
- When Idiot Savant rank 3's kill experience activates, it temporarily shuts off the chance of getting bonus experience. Because of this, rank 3 may be a net loss of expected exp, depending on play style.
- When the 3rd rank of Idiot Savant triggers a blank perk with no name, description or picture will appear at the top of the perk list under stats. This represents the temporary 3x exp kill bonus.
Behind the scenesEdit
The term idiot savant refers to an individual who is overall mentally disabled but nonetheless displays an exceptionally high level of ability in performing a specific task such as memory, arithmetic, art, or music.
- xboxone If the Idiot Savant perk activates when turning in Reunions or Learning Curve, you will sometimes not get the 3x or 5x multiple of experience points.[verification overdue]