The Lieutenant's been talking to you, hasn't he? Look, I don't need a head doctor - I'm First Recon, damn it.”— Corporal Betsy
|Side Quest: I Don't Hurt Anymore|
|Talking to Lieutenant Gorobets in Camp McCarran about Corporal Betsy reveals that there is a problem with Corporal Betsy.|
Note: If Driver Nephi part of the quest Three-Card Bounty is already completed, Gorobets will be found at Camp Forlorn Hope instead of Camp McCarran.
|Talking to Corporal Betsy reveals that on one of her last missions, she was captured and raped by Cook-Cook. She is convinced that she must not show weakness, which keeps her from properly dealing with her trauma. Instead, she starts hitting on every woman she sees.|
|Diagnose her illness and convince Betsy that trauma is a wound like any other, and that she should see Doctor Usanagi at the New Vegas medical clinic for treatment [Medicine 40].||Convince Betsy that trauma makes her the weak link in her unit, and that she should see Doctor Usanagi at the New Vegas medical clinic for treatment [Speech 60].||Insist that Corporal Betsy needs to seek treatment for illness.|
|Reward: 40 XP||Reward: 60 XP||Talk to 10 of Spades.|
|Talk to Corporal Sterling.|
|Talk to Sgt Bitter-Root.|
|Talk to Corporal Betsy again. Tell her that the 1st Recon thinks that she indeed needs to seek medical help. She will cave in and agree to seek help, thanking you in the end.|
|Speak to Lt. Gorobets again and report Betsy's willingness to undergo therapy. He will tell you to go the clinic beforehand and let Dr. Usanagi know that Corporal Betsy is on her way.|
|Travel to the New Vegas medical clinic to tell Doctor Usanagi about her new patient to complete the quest.|
|Reward: +250 XP|
Once you get to Camp McCarran, if you don't know where to find Lt. Gorobets, speak to Major Dhatri who is walking by the front gate as soon as you walk in. When you find Lt. Gorobets, you need to talk to him about his squad, particularly about Corporal Betsy. He will inform you that she was raped by one of the top fiends, Cook-Cook. He will also inform you that her behavior is spiraling out of control and that is unacceptable in the 1st Recon. After you agree to help her, Betsy can be located in close proximity to the Lt., usually in the same tent as him. If you have Speech of 60 or more, you can convince Betsy to go and see Dr. Usanagi at the New Vegas Medical Clinic for treatment. If your speech isn't that good, then having a Medicine skill of 40 or more gives you a similar option. If your Medicine skill is poor too, you will have to talk with the rest of the 1st Recon squad, Corporal Sterling, 10 of Spades and Sgt. Bitter-Root.
Note: You get 250XP for completing the quest, whichever path you take through it. However, the skill tests give you an additional 60XP (Speech) or 40XP (Medical), so are the most "profitable" path. You don't have to miss out on the extra character insights you get from speaking to all the squad members, though, since you can opt not to select the skill tests the first time you speak to her, and just say "Goodbye". Then you can talk to the squad, then go back to her and pass the test.
Before talking to Bitter-Root you have to talk with 10 of Spades, only then is the option to talk to him available. After talking with everyone, speak with Corporal Betsy and tell her that the 1st Recon thinks that she indeed needs to seek medical help. She will cave and agree to seek help, thanking you in the end.
As soon as you have spoken with Corporal Betsy, speak to Lt. Gorobets again and he will tell you to go the clinic beforehand and let Dr. Usanagi know that Corporal Betsy is on her way. Once you've done that, Quest complete and 250XP in the bag. As an option, if you kill Cook-Cook and then report what you did to Betsy, she'll be disappointed that you deprived her of a long-time plotted revenge, but still she'll reward you with some NCR currency as a token of gratitude.
Behind the scenesEdit
The title of this quest is a nod to the song "I Don't Hurt Anymore," by Hank Snow, recorded in 1954.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Several users have reported that Corporal Betsy, if she is stationed at Camp Forlorn Hope, will only use a generic reply and not initiate quest dialogue. (This occurs when the quest is initiated while the recon team is still stationed at Camp McCarran and their help is used in the quest Three-Card Bounty, triggering their move to Camp Forlorn Hope, while the quest is still going on, before you have convinced Corporal Betsy that she needs help). A work around to this bug (PC only) is to enter the command "setstage 0015e480 20" to bypass the first stage of the quest. If you continue to experience difficulty increase the final two numbers by multiples of ten (20 then 30, etc.) to bypass each objective that cannot be solved by traditional means. [verified]
- Inputting "setstage 0015e480 100" will complete this quest.
- The quest variables may get stuck on the wrong value if Driver Nephi is killed before First Recon move into position at the rock crushing plant, which causes Betsy's speech bug.
- You can fix it with one or both of these commands.
- set "f81bd".bGetIntoPosition to 0
- set "f81bd".bFirstReconTraveling to 0
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes during the mission if you initiate a dialogue with Corporal Betsy but choose to tell her that Cook-Cook is dead before advising her to deal with her trauma, she will thank you and the dialogue will be over. When you try to initiate another dialogue with her you only receive a generic reply. The same thing happens if you quit the dialogue before you advise her to seek mental therapy; again, you'll be unable to initiate another dialogue. [verified]