Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Infobox incomplete (There is several caps rewards available. Not enough details in the walkthrough about it.)
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
|Side quest: Human Error|
|Go to Covenant and talk to Honest Dan.|
|Search for clues around Covenant.|
|Attack the Covenant Compound with Dan.|
|Kill Dr. Chambers and rescue Amelia.||Kill Honest Dan.|
|Find Old Man Stockton||Return to Jacob|
|Reward: 350 XP|
Covenant as settlement
Cleanup (Issue: Detailed walkthrough mentions 2 endings while 3 endings appear in the quest stages.)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving the article.
The Sole Survivor might hear about Covenant from settlers or a passing trader, which will put its marker on the map and a quest entry to "Investigate Covenant". Upon approaching the gate, the Sole Survivor is greeted by Swanson. He explains, that to enter Covenant, visitors have to pass a test to filter out "undesirables". By pressuring for information and successfully passing increasingly difficult speech checks, details about synths and The Institute could be learned. Swanson will be adamant about administering the SAFE test, (The Vault-Tec G.O.A.T.) to make sure the Sole Survivor is not a synth. After taking a seat at the table and answering all the questions, the gate to the settlement will open up.
Unlike other settlements around the wasteland, Covenant is surrounded by tall concrete walls peppered with defensive turrets, and the houses and the yard are in oddly pristine condition. The Sole Survivor even mentions how everything looks almost pre-war. Several companions will voice suspicions that the village is hiding something, although none of them seem aware of its true nature. Speak to Honest Dan. He'll explain he has been hired to investigate a missing caravan and find Amelia Stockton, the missing daughter of the prominent Stockton family. He also suggests the inhabitants of Covenant might be involved in both cases. He also offers to split the reward in exchange for help in the investigation. After doing so, Dan will give the player what he knows in the form of a note, caravan details. Passing speech checks with him may net more caps and info.
Exit Covenant and head north-east along the road to find the remains of the missing caravan and recover Deezer's Lemonade and if carefully looking at the road close to the scene, a blood trail which the Sole Survivor suggests heads towards Covenant. Questioning the inhabitants of Covenant yields little info, they are adamant about having nothing to do with it, they are also oddly nice, almost saccharine. To find more clues, enter the house on the far side of the settlement to discover a holding cell, a bookcase with self-help material and a locked computer. Outside, at the side of one of the houses, is a bedroll left by the caravan staff, which can be investigated, but it isn't clear enough who it belonged to. Hack the computer when no one is looking to find out Covenant's real purpose. Hacking the computer when not sneaking will turn the whole town hostile. It is also possible to gather information by speaking to one of the settlers, Talia McGovern, and convincing her that Honest Dan is a synth after passing a few Charisma checks. Alternatively, enter the shop and take the piece of paper from the trash can or pass increasingly harder speech checks with Penny Fitzgerald to reveal the clues. Another alternative is to either pickpocket the key from Jacob Orden or pick the lock to the house directly left of the gate and find the piece of paper near the door. If pickpocket is too risky, between the hours 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. the doors to the first house on the left when entering Covenant will be open (in general, all of the buildings in Covenant can eventually be entered without the need to pick a lock, through the expedient of following the residents around until they open the doors on their daily schedule). On the table is a key and a paper that has Jacob's password. Resident may become hostile if they see stealing. One can also find the location of the Compound at the office terminal. The door and the computer are both Master locks.
Once learning about the existence of the Compound, the Sole Survivor can either talk to Dan or go alone. Trying to exit Covenant, Jacob will be at the gate and will try to convince the Sole Survivor to drop the case, even going as far as offering a bribe.
To find the Compound, head to the fishing spot west of Covenant on the other side of the lake and enter the outflow pipe. If the Sole Survivor told Honest Dan about the Compound, he will be waiting inside and will follow. Continue along the pipe to face armed guards and turrets. By successfully passing a speech check, the Sole Survivor is escorted deep inside the complex to meet Doctor Roslyn Chambers. Otherwise, fighting through the complex becomes necessary. On the way there clues about people being held captive and ongoing experiments/torture can be found.
Once confronted by the Doctor, she explains her intentions of trying to reveal hidden synths who infiltrated the populace by creating and perfecting the SAFE test. A sort of psychological test involving studying reactions of the subject to several situational questions. Improving the test involves establishing a "baseline" and then requires various forms of psychological and physical torture to incite reactions from the subject. She also explains, the reason for capturing Amelia is because they believe she is a synth infiltrator. She may offer to pay the same caps reward offered by Honest Dan.
At this point, the Sole Survivor has two choices:
- Deciding to side with the Doctor, if accompanied by Honest Dan will cause him to become hostile and killing him will be necessary. Also, inspecting Amelia's body reveals she was indeed a synth. Return to Jacob to win Covenant as a usable settlement. You also get a reward of 300 caps from the completion of this quest.
- Deciding to side with Honest Dan and free Amelia will turn the Doctor and the rest of the Compound hostile, making it necessary to kill them all. Amelia is in one of the cells up the stairs which can be opened by using the computer terminal or by picking the lock. Speak to Dan to receive a reward. By passing increasingly harder speech checks, more reward can be earned. Choosing this option will also turn the inhabitants of Covenant hostile. Kill them all except Deezer to win it as a usable settlement. *WARNING* Old Man Stockton is a nonessential character and can be killed. If he has been killed and the Sole Survivor chooses to save Amelia, the quest will say "Failed" immediately after the "Find Old Man Stockton" objective appears and it becomes impossible to complete. If choosing this option, almost everything inside the compound will be considered stolen, making it very complicated to use this settlement.
- Old Man Stockton is a nonessential character and can be killed. If he has been killed and the Sole Survivor chooses to save Amelia, the quest will say "Failed" immediately after the "Find Old Man Stockton" objective appears and it becomes impossible to complete.
- For those without pickpocket after lore or settler apparel: At the start of the compound, if waiting by the guards as Manny waits at the stairs one can use a mind cloud syringe on him and then kill the guards and the turret and continue on unaffected. This will trigger Blythe to open the door of the interview room before the dialog with Manny begins. In this room one will find the holotape on the desk.
- For those without lockpicking skills, all of the locked buildings in Covenant can eventually be entered through the expedient of following the residents around until they enter on their daily schedules.
- After the quest is completed by leaving Amelia with the doctor, speak with Jacob Ogden to gain Covenant as a settlement.
- If Amelia is released and Honest Dan spared, the Sole Survivor will have to kill everyone except Deezer and the cats in Covenant to get it as a settlement.
- After releasing Amelia from her cell, talking to Honest Dan and selecting "What if she's a Synth?" will prompt him to pay the Sole Survivor. One can then walk out of the conversation and repeat the process and Honest Dan will pay the Sole Survivor again. This can be repeated multiple times to gain many thousands of caps. Responding with any of the other three dialogue choices also works.
- If Amelia, after being released, steps on a mine laid by the player (e.g. one originally intended to take out compound guards), it will detonate and kill her, triggering a sudden and violent deterioration in relations with Honest Dan.
- While talking with the doctor, one can just move to cancel the conversation and then go towards Amelia's cell and talk to her. The quest will update as if rescued Amelia, telling to meet Old Man Stockton who will then give the reward and the quest will be completed. If deciding to return and have passed the speech check, the Sole Survivor can safely enter Covenant and the compound and nobody will be hostile. Inside the compound one will find Amelia alive, but still locked in her cell. In the end everyone will still be alive, but the player character won't be able to have Covenant as a settlement.
- If the player does not bring Dan into the compound and has already joined the Railroad, then the quest may prompt to collect the reward from Old Man Stockton.
- Pickpocketing Amelia quickly after she escapes or looting her body if sided with the Doctor shows she carries a Synth component revealing she was, in fact, a Synth.
- Talking to Old Man Stockton to finish the quest (if siding against Covenant and skipping the optional "talk to Honest Dan" part of the quest) reveals that Amelia is not, in fact, his daughter (or an Institute synth replacement of his daughter), but a synth that the Railroad had freed.
- Killing both Dr. Chambers and Amelia and having left Dan behind will fail the quest and Covenant will remain hostile.
- There is a railsign above the entrance pipe to the Compound indicating 'danger', implying the Railroad is aware of the Compound.
- If entering Covenant late-game, and have destroyed the Railroad/sided with The Institute, the residents of Covenant will be immediately hostile - but not until after taking and pass the S.A.F.E. test and walk through the gate. As a side note, if having Curie as a companion in such a situation, she will also become hostile.
- It is possible to start the quest by just speaking with Dr. Chambers in the Compound straight away, shortening the quest greatly, leaving basically only the final choice and the reward pick up to completion.
- The player will not be able to interact with the cooler containing Deezer's Lemonade near the missing caravan until the quest becomes active.
- If The Nuclear Option is completed, this quest will fail.
If you decide to rescue the girl being held captive in the Covenant quest line, the entire town will turn hostile to you. While you can still get the town as a workshop after having killed everyone, there are many items that are considered "owned" and they are stuck that way. There are a few ways to fix this:
1. Beds. -Move a settler to Covenant (or wait for one to join). I think you need to wait ~2 game days before they arrive? I don't know. -Assign the settler to the bed. It is now no longer considered owned. You can dismiss the settler, if you want to.
2. Items. (a) Move items with the workshop mode. (b) Store the items in the workshop. (c) Scrap the items. (d) Pick up all of the items and trade them to a settler. Be careful not to let the settler see you, or they think you're stealing. When you trade all of the items back from them, they should no longer be flagged as stolen.
-- A and B will NOT unflag items as stolen.
3. Computer terminal. -If you move the desk under it, it disappears. Most people have probably figured this one out.
4. Replacing turrets (the default Covenant turrets will engage yours and do not count as settlement defense). (a) Destroy the turrets. -Wait many game days (a week? two weeks?). -The turret "corpses" will eventually despawn in the same way that any enemy bodies do. (b) Move the turrets. -You can hold X while in build mode and highlighting a turret, this will allow you to move it. -If you like, you can move them on the other side of the wall somewhere and break line of sight with your existing turrets.
- Curie loves "against synth genocide" and she also likes it if asking her to "spare Amelia" or if "Negotiating" with Manny. She will dislike if Chambers is killed after rejecting the offer.
- MacCready likes when the Sole Survivor takes the bribe from Jacob Orden, choosing the "spare Amelia" dialogue option, and likes siding with Chambers. He dislikes refusing the bribe, siding against Chambers and "looking for compromise".
- Piper likes when "looking for a compromise" before leaving Covenant with Jacob and when negotiating with Manny, she will hate siding with the Doctor. She likes when asking to spare the daughter and when killing the Doctor. She loves when telling the Doctor no deal.
- Nick likes "sparing Amelia" and loves the "against synth genocide" options and dislikes if working with Chambers. He also dislikes it when you take the SAFE test to enter Covenant.
- Hancock likes if "Looking for Compromise" with Jacob, likes "against synth genocide", likes "sparing Amelia", hates siding with Chambers, and loves if Chambers is killed.
- Deacon dislikes the "Look for compromise" option and likes rejecting the bribe. He also loves "against synth genocide" and will hate siding with the Doctor.
- Danse loves the "Institute must die" option. He hates the "against synth genocide" as well as the "spare Amelia" option. He dislikes if rejecting her offer but also tells "Wrong move soldier" if accepting her offer, although this has no actual effect on the relationship with him.
- Cait dislikes when "Looking for Compromise" with Jacob. She likes accepting the bribe from Jacob and even comments about getting some caps without a fight. She likes it when agreeing that the Institute and synths need to be wiped out, and dislikes it if one doesn't accept Chambers' offer. However, she does like it if Chambers is killed.
- Strong agrees that The Institute needs to be wiped out. He dislikes asking about sparing Amelia, but on the contrary also dislikes her getting killed after siding with the doctor. However, he likes if you refuse Chambers' offer.
- X6-88 likes "Against Synth Genocide", but dislikes "Spare Amelia".
- Codsworth likes "Look for Compromise" with Jacob, and likes "Against Synth Genocide" as well as "Spare Amelia" with Chambers.
- Preston likes the "spare Amelia" option and loves siding with Dan. Preston dislikes asking for more caps while speaking with Dan after rescuing Amelia.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The SAFE test is actually the G.O.A.T. from Fallout 3, with all references to Vaults (and the 10th question) removed.
- The development of the SAFE test to detect and remove synths (machines physically indistinguishable from humans) from the populace and many parts of this mission and dialogues, are a direct reference to the movie Blade Runner (based on the Phillip. K. Dick novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"). The SAFE test is a direct reference to the Voight-Kampff test, which tests the subject's responses to situational questions by measuring preconscious empathetic reflexes and childhood memories that are usually absent from synthetic people.
- pc xboxone ps4 Honest Dan may disappear after completing the main quest line, making this quest impossible to start.[verified]
- pc After talking to Dr. Chambers and agreeing with her, one can quickly run up to Amelia and tell her everything will be okay. By doing this one can complete both the main quest and also the Optional quest to free her.[verified]
- pc xboxone ps4 After fighting one's way into the Compound and reaching Dr. Chambers, a dialog takes place. If the Sole Survivor sides with Honest Dan and Amelia, Dr. Chambers will say "you'll just have to kill me". But she won't become hostile. [verified]
- This bug can be exploited to gain an addition like from Strong, making three possible consecutive likes for him. Simply kill Dr. Chambers, as Strong approves of killing non-hostiles.
- pc xboxone At the caravan, for the optional objective, Deezer's Lemonade might not spawn or be interacted with. If this happens, it cannot be acquired.[verified]
- pc A possible fix is by using the console command setstage 22a08 205 [verified].
- Another workaround is to pick up "Deezer's Lemonade" by commanding a companion to check the cooler, trade with the companion and one will find the lemonade in the Aid category.[verified].
- It's also possible for Deezer's Lemonade and the cooler to spawn but leaving the player unable to pick up the item or open the cooler. In this case both the console command or companion solution will work.
- If all else fails, reset the quest. Use sqt to get the ID of the Human Error quest and then resetquest <quest_id> to reset it.
- On Xbox One it is possible that neither the can nor the cooler will have mass, despite being spawned and being able to grab the can and lift it, and the companion command will not work. However, there is a possible fix on the console- since it is possible to pick up the lemonade, one can carry it to nearby Taffington Boathouse, drop it, go into crafting mode, and store the item in the workbench. You can then remove the item from the workbench, and the quest step will trigger as it should.
- pc ps4 A patch of asphalt near the caravan is active, and can be examined for a message about a trail of dried blood. This doesn't seem to be correctly implemented, as there is no visible blood or trail to another clue. Interestingly, there is a splash of a green fluid nearby, like bloodsplatter from something whose blood glows in the dark. This is either a coincidence or intended to be a clue about the synth. However, since synths are medically indistinguishable from humans their blood would not splatter green. In the game files under \setdressing\glowingblood\Glowingoneblood01.nif is the base for the glowing blood activator. [verification overdue]
- pc Dr. Chambers' dialogue won't start if Honest Dan is already dead [verified]
- pc xboxone ps4 The gate leading into the covenant might already be open even if it's the first time visiting the place, and all the characters act like having already been there and Honest Dan is nowhere to be found, making the quest impossible to complete or even start. This may be caused by completing the main storyline before obtaining the quest. [verified]
- pc One fix is to kill all residents, thus gaining access to the workbench, then resurrecting residents in order to gain settlement if quest can't be started.[verification overdue]
- pc xboxone After finishing the quest Swanson can't be killed unless he is within the borders of the settlement. Since he will rush out to attack the Sole Survivor, it may be necessary to kite him back to the gates.[verification overdue]
- pc xboxone Wearing a power armor helmet with the Targeting mod or using berry mentats makes Dan hostile when inside the sewer, and the rest of the NPCs inside the Compound. Need to unequip the helmet before going in. Also, make sure that if the Sole Survivor has a companion equipped with power armor with the Targeting mod that the Sole Survivor has them exit their power armor also.[verified]
- pc xboxone ps4 After freeing Amelia, the doctor won't turn hostile and will hang around saying "I will not beg for my life," and "All I did was for the greater good!"[verified]
- pc xboxone ps4 Penny Fitzgerald may not talk to the player, only saying "enjoy your stay" when interacted with. Sleeping seems to fix the issue. It's possible there are other simple fixes.[verified]
- pc If clearing out the compound before finding any clues leading to it or it's existence, and freeing Amelia, Honest Dan wont spawn at the Covenant, and the quest will stay bugged and impossible to complete. The Sole Survivor may get stuck at "Look for caravan survivors" even after freeing Amelia.[verified]
- pc xboxone Wearing power armor with a Tesla torso mod inside of or around the entrance to Covenant will make nearby inhabitants turn hostile. This occurs before or after finishing the quest "Human Error". Solution is to exit the power armor before entering.[verified]
- xboxone pc ps4 At the and of the quest, when talking to Honest Dan. If the conversation is interrupted just after getting the reward by walking away, the player can talk to him and claim the reward again, this can be repeated indefinitely.[verified]
- The Charisma checks for more money are not reset with this method. (at least on PS4).
- pc After completing the main story the quest will not be initiated. It can be solved through the console with resetquest 00022a08, then talking to the mayor of the town, and using again the console with setstage 00022a08 200, setstage 00022a08 740 and talking again to the mayor. This will complete the quest having sided with Covenant and allow to unlock them as a settlement. [verified]
- pc xboxone Entering the house to the immediate left of the gate through the unlocked door by the northwest corner of the town and stealing the key and password on the end table will cause everyone in town to become hostile when leaving the house, even if remaining undetected. [verified]
- ps4 When first coming to the Covenant, Swanson might not ask the required questions to gain access to the town. Instead, the gate will already be open and Dan will not be available, making the quest unavailable. [verified]
- pc When you take Jacob's password, it is possible that everyone in Covenant will become immediately hostile regardless of whether or not you are hidden when you steal it.[verification overdue]