Zion may not be lost to us, after all...”— Joshua Graham, Honest Hearts
Honest Hearts takes you on an expedition to the unspoiled wilderness of Utah’s Zion National Park. Things go horribly wrong when your caravan is ambushed by a tribal raiding band. As you try to find a way back to the Mojave, you become embroiled in a war between tribes and a conflict between a New Canaanite missionary and the mysterious Burned Man. The decisions you make will determine the fate of Zion.
Honest Hearts adds new crafting recipes to the game that make use of the Survival skill. Unlike recipes added by the previous add-on, Dead Money, most recipes added by Honest Hearts do not require add-on-specific items or perks. Most recipes are available from the start of the game, provided the player has the necessary skill level and ingredients.
Notable new recipes include a method of turning one fission battery and 5 drained energy cells into 25 energy cells, as well as being able to make homebrewed Nuka-Cola and homebrewed Sunset Sarsaparilla at a campfire using the appropriate ingredients, (Nevada agave fruit and barrel cactus fruit for the Nuka-Cola, and Nevada agave fruit together with a xander root for the Sunset Sarsaparilla).
The add-on has also introduced two new ways of crafting scrap metal. You can create 1 scrap metal at a workbench by either combining a metal cooking pan, metal cooking pot and a pot together or by combining a butter knife, a metal spoon, a fork and a tin plate. The recipes are listed in the crafting menu as "Cookery-for-metal" and "Meals-for-metal" respectively.
Armor and clothing
- Chalk's headdress
- Daniel's hat
- Daniel's outfit
- Dead Horses stalker armor
- Desert Ranger combat armor
- Desert Ranger combat helmet
- Gecko-backed leather armor
- Gecko-backed leather armor, reinforced
- Gecko-backed metal armor
- Gecko-backed metal armor, reinforced
- Joshua Graham's armor
- Park Ranger hat
- Salt-Upon-Wounds' helmet
- Sorrows adorned outfit
- Sorrows outfit
- White Legs hide armor
- White Legs outfit
- .45 Auto pistol
- .45 Auto submachine gun
- A Light Shining in Darkness
- Compliance Regulator
- Fire bomb
- Follows-Chalk's .45 Auto pistol
- Follows-Chalk's war club
- Joshua's Pistol Whippin' .45
- Salt-Upon-Wounds' power fist
- She's Embrace
- Survivalist's rifle
- War club
- Waking Cloud's yao guai gauntlet
- Yao guai gauntlet
- Angel cave
- Ant burrow
- Bighorn Bluff
- Burial mounds
- Caterpillar's Mound
- Clear Water docks
- Crashed scout bus
- Court Fork overlook
- Crossroad cavern
- Cueva Guarache
- Dagger's Point
- Dead Horses camp
- East Fork bridge
- Eastern Virgin
- Fallen Rock cave
- Ghost Den
- Glass Chime cave
- Half Mouse cave
- Morning Glory cave
- North Fork bridge
- North Fork campground
- Old Rockville bridge
- Patriarchs' campground
- Pine Creek tunnel
- Ranger substation Eagle
- Ranger substation Osprey
- Ranger substation Peregrine
- The Red Gate
- Red Rapids docks
- Sorrows camp
- Sorrows Fork campground
- Southern passage
- Stone Bones cave
- Sun Sentinels
- Sweet Flower cave
- The Aerie
- The Bend bridge
- The Spine
- Three Marys
- Three Marys' caverns
- Two Skies cave
- Vault 22 dwellers' guard camp
- Virgin River
- Virgin Fork campground
- White Bird's cave
- Wind Wall docks
- Yao guai cave
- Zion Canyon
- Zion fishing lodge
- Zion General Store
- Zion Ranger station
- Zion Valley welcome booth
The XP that is rewarded for quests is variable depending upon your level when the quests are completed. The total XP split between the main storyline quests is approximately 3000 XP at levels 1-4 and 22000 XP at levels 45-50, the secondary quest XP ranges from 75 XP per quest to 550 XP per quest.
|Name||Level req||Other requirements||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Eye for Eye||20||1||For each crippled limb you have, you do an additional 10% damage.||00b2f4|
|Fight the Power!||10||1||+2 Damage Threshold and +5% Critical chance against anyone wearing NCR, Legion or Brotherhood of Steel armor.||00f67c|
|Grunt||8||Guns 45, Explosives 20||1||25% more damage with 9mm pistols and SMGs, .45 pistols and SMGs, service rifles, assault and Marksman carbines, light machine guns, frag grenades, grenade rifles and launchers and combat knives.||00f677|
|Home on the Range||8||Survival 70||1||Whenever you interact with a campfire, you have the option of sleeping, with all the benefits that sleep brings.||00b2f3|
|Sneering Imperialist||8||1||+15% Damage and +25% accuracy in V.A.T.S. to various tribal and raider characters.||00f67b|
|Tribal Wisdom||8||Survival 70||1||-50% limb damage from animals, mutated animals, and mutated insects, +25% to Poison resistance, ability to eat mutated insects in sneak mode.||00f679|
|Quiet As The Waters||Waking Cloud in your party.||White Legs' Perception is effectively decreased by 3.||00b2f7|
|The Way of the Canaanite||Joshua Graham in your party.||Decrease in spread and double the critical chance for .45 Auto pistols.||00b2f5|
|Well-Stacked Cairns||Follows-Chalk in your party.||Reaching various summits reveals nearby map markers and grants +3 Perception temporarily.||00b2f6|
|Name||Requirement||Achievement points||Trophy type||Image|
|In a Foreign Land||Scouted the Zion Valley for signs of the White Legs||20|
|May my Hand Forget its Skill||Evacuated Zion||40|
|O Daughter of Babylon||Crushed the White Legs||30|
|Restore Our Fortunes||Resupplied Daniel and the Sorrows||30|
|When We Remembered Zion||Arrived at Zion||20|
- Honest Hearts is the only DLC which does not have a warning screen before visiting the new area. The only warnings you receive are through dialogue with Jed.
- Installing Honest Hearts will remove the ability to use the campfire during combat. This is due to the implementation of the Home on the Range perk.
- Skill books are only found as random loot in Honest Hearts. See Fallout: New Vegas skill books for details.
- Like Dead Money, you are not allowed to take companions with you into Zion. However, unlike Dead Money, Honest Hearts does not force them out of your party, you must do this yourself if you wish to proceed.
- Honest Hearts, like all add-ons, raises the level cap by 5.
- Equipment is not taken from the player at the beginning of the add-on, however the maximum weight limit is decreased due to the length of the journey. 100 pounds of equipment can be taken if you have the Strong Back or Pack Rat perks, and have a minimal Survival skill of 50, or pass the Speech check when talking to Jed Masterson, or Barter check (50) when talking to Ricky. Without these perks/skill levels, you will have a weight limit of 75.
- The player is able to return to Zion after completing the add-on, however followers still cannot accompany you. They also cannot be left waiting at the Northern passage, and instead will return to their home (ED-E back to Primm, etc.). This is due to the 14 day length of the trip into Zion.
- Honest Hearts features weather, adding rain/overcast to the game.
- When the add-on is completed, you can purchase the new weapons from the add-on such as, the tomahawk, the fire bomb, the war club, the yao guai gauntlet, the .45 Auto pistol and the .45 Auto submachine gun and their respective mods, as well as the ammunition from shops around the Mojave Wasteland.
- It's important to note that after completion of the add-on, most unique non-player characters will have left Zion.
- If you choose to defeat the White Legs and allow the Dead Horses and Sorrows tribes to remain in Zion, after the main quest is finished, Dead Horses and Sorrows tribe members will still be at their respective camps and are peaceful to the Courier.
- After the main quest is finished, Dead Horses and Sorrows tribe members can be killed for loot without receiving negative karma. If you are seen attacking a Dead Horse, the entire tribe becomes permanently hostile.
- As with Dead Money, there are no noticeable repercussions in the Mojave for your actions in Zion. This frees your normally "good" or "bad" character to complete quests in ways they usually wouldn't without affecting the Mojave.
- The only merchant in Honest Hearts is Joshua Graham (Passing a speech check will allow you to purchase medical supplies from Daniel, however his caps and items are limited).
- Many tribals are well-equipped, you can find some weapons that are rare in the Mojave Wasteland.
- You can take the Animal Friend perk to face fewer hostile creatures.
- None of the vehicles in Zion will explode.
- It is possible to pickpocket any main character, such as Joshua Graham, Daniel or Follows-Chalk while they are asleep. Regardless, you cannot pickpocket their unique weapons and apparel.
- Loading Honest Hearts does not change the spore plants or spore carriers in Vault 22, they are still "empty" when searched.
- Tribal apparel brought back to the Mojave from Zion is not considered 'faction' by followers. That is, they will carry/wear it.
- After completing the add-on's main story you will be unable to start or finish the side quests as most of the main characters will have left Zion.
- There are many skeletal remains strewn about Zion, most likely campers killed by the fallout referenced in Randal Clark's terminal entries.
- The Vault Boy/Girl is mirrored when selecting apparel from this DLC-he/she looks to the right instead of the left.
Behind the scenes
- Honest Hearts was first hinted at via in-game graffiti, sparking speculation that it would be the next add-on. This speculation was seemingly confirmed when ZeniMax registered "Honest Hearts" as a trademark. The graffiti hinting at Honest Hearts refers to Joshua Graham, and New Canaan, which were originally to appear in Van Buren, Black Isle's canceled Fallout 3 project.
- Honest Hearts was again hinted at in the game files of the Dead Money add-on, with the inclusion of an unused snowglobe for Zion National Park, and further suggesting it would be the next DLC in line for release after Dead Money.
- J.E. Sawyer has indicated that the title of this add-on is a reference to Brigham Young's aphorism, "Honest hearts produce honest actions".
- J.E. Sawyer also revealed that the story of Honest Hearts drew inspiration from the Utah War and Mountain Meadows Massacre.
- All titles for Honest Hearts achievements are taken from Psalm 126 and Psalm 137 in the Bible.
- ↑ The in-game graffiti in question can be found in the game's "nvdlcgraffiti" folder, sharing the filename "nvgraffitihonesthearts". They read:
- "Where's New Canaan, anyway?"
- "The Burned Man Walks!"
- "Joshua Graham Lives!"
- ↑ Honest Hearts - trademark by ZeniMax Media Inc. Rockville, MD - Serial Number: 85198870
- ↑ Burham Springs design document
- ↑ New Canaan design document
- ↑ Unused snowglobe model found in the Dead Money game file under the folder named "FNVDLC02"
- ↑ I heard you went to Zion National Park? Did you find any Honest Hearts there? @ Formspring
- ↑ Formspring