He is absolutely loyal to whomever holds his contract. Unfailing, unflinching, until the day that employment ends.”— Ahzrukhal, on Charon
|Unmarked Quest: Hired Help|
|Talk to Ahzrukhal.|
|Purchase Charon's employment contract.||Kill Greta discreetly for the contract.|
|Reward: Charon's employment contract (Charon as companion)|
Accepting the QuestEdit
If you speak to Ahzrukhal in The Ninth Circle in the ghoul city of Underworld, he will tell you that he holds the employment contract of a ghoul named Charon (also located in The Ninth Circle in the corner). Charon is bound to work for whomever holds his contract. Ahzrukhal also tells you that he dislikes having to compete with the other beverage outlet in Underworld, Carol's Place. He proposes that if you were to murder Greta, who works there, he would be willing to give you the contract to Charon.
At this point you have two choices:
- Agree to Ahzrukal's plan, and kill Greta
- Purchase Charon's contract through dialog.
The simplest method (but BY FAR the least kind) to complete this challenge is to just kill Greta by your preferred means and return to Underworld once the residents have ceased to be hostile. If you do not wish to turn the town hostile, there are several alternative options:
- The best time to kill her is when she goes on her smoking break just outside of Underworld in the Museum of History lobby area. She appears here around 9:00 PM nightly and returns to the Underworld at about 11:00 PM.
- Use the Mr. Sandman perk to slit her throat while she is sleeping.
- Use sword aiming at her head while she is sleeping, be sure to be undetected.
- Reverse-pickpocket a live grenade onto her without letting a non-player character see you.
- To kill Greta without losing any Karma, you will need any follower and a low damage weapon (e.g. pool cue). Simply wait until she goes out in the lobby area on her break (details above) and attack her, causing her to become hostile towards you. At this point she will flee, and the follower will attack and finish her off. Since the follower does the killing, you do not lose any Karma. This also works for other non-player character's, however some followers may turn hostile when fired (e.g. if using Charon to kill another resident of Underworld and fire him, he will become hostile)
- There is another way of doing it without losing Karma. Walk into the lower hall of the Museum of History and get at least one feral ghoul to follow you. When you walk back into the lobby (while Greta is on her break) walk in to Underworld, wait a few seconds, and walk back out. Then she will be dead and you can loot her. If this doesn't work try to have more feral ghouls, then just walk to Ahzrukhal and tell him that she is dead.
- Mezz her and allow the residents to do the work. There is no Karma loss and no one will become hostile to you, although this only works if it makes her aggressive instead of blowing up her head or other side effects.
However you accomplish the task, you should then return to Ahzrukhal to complete the quest.
Purchasing the ContractEdit
Charon can also be acquired from Ahzrukhal by paying him either
- 2000 caps
- 1000 caps if you have a Barter skill of 50 or higher
This way cannot be taken after accepting the task of killing Greta.
Whether you kill Greta or purchase the contract, Ahzrukhal will stick to his word and give you Charon's employment contract. After you tell Charon that you now have his contract, he will walk over to Ahzrukhal, who will think he's coming to say goodbye. Instead, Charon pulls out his shotgun and blows Ahzrukhal's head off, then shoots his dead body one more time.
Looting Ahzrukhal yields a cooler key to a cooler full of caps and other loot. You may also steal anything in the room with no loss of Karma and no angry citizens. However, if you try to lockpick the safe or hack the terminal they will become hostile.
- Neither picking the safe or hacking the terminal results in hostile locals in the PS3 GOTY version; however, hacking the terminal in the regular PS3 version still makes them go hostile, which picking the lock does not. (Apparently, according to various reports, it is possible for the non-player characters to become hostile after hacking the computer.)
- If you are not carrying 2000 caps when you offer that sum to Ahzrukhal, he will decline as if he wouldn't agree (as opposed to telling you to get the money).
- Killing Ahzrukhal yourself will grant you positive Karma, but will still turn all the ghouls against you for three days. Note that, for whatever reason, the contract for Charon is not actually on Ahzrukhal (or in his safe, or anywhere else) and so if you do this, you will not be able to recruit Charon ever, since this is a quest reward.
- After Charon has killed Ahzrukhal you will see a small crowd of ghouls form up and they will shout "He shot Ahzrukhal!"
- If the contract is purchased for any sum of caps, you will not be able to retrieve the caps from the store, the safe or Ahzrukhal's corpse.
- pc ps3 xbox360 If you should kill Greta before talking to Ahzrukhal he will not acknowledge that deed and no dialog options will appear so you cannot acquire Charon. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Occasionally Charon will kill you if you are around him as he shoots Ahzrukhal. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes Charon will not kill Ahzrukhal but instead stand in The Ninth Circle and neither ghoul will have speech options. [verified] (Can be avoided if Ahzrukhal is not sleeping and is at the bar)
- pc ps3 xbox360 For some people if you talk to Ahzrukhal and try to get the quest:Hired Help you won't get the option to talk about Charon's contract.