| ||This page is about the location that is home to the Brotherhood of Steel. For the Hidden Valley location, see Hidden Valley.|
The Hidden Valley bunker is a location in the Mojave Wasteland. There are several similar-looking bunkers located close to each other in Hidden Valley, southeast of Sloan in the Mojave Wasteland. One particular bunker is the entrance to the home of the Brotherhood of Steel (Mojave chapter). It can be distinguished from the other bunkers in the area by the small broken tree stump directly on top of the dome.
Hidden Valley is a complex of USAF bunkers remaining from before the Great War near the heart of the valley. Abandoned even before the war, the area around the bunkers is littered with junk. Signs on the roads and peaks leading into the valley mark the boundaries of the complex. Stretches of drooping pre-War wire fences also note the area as being USAF restricted. Prospectors who have returned from Hidden Valley have reported four bunkers, each with an intercom system, but complete silence in response to any calls on the intercoms. Furthermore, prospectors have reported an eerie feeling upon entering the complex. Others tell of seeing armored figures exiting the Valley from within a raging sandstorm that seems to arrive every evening and stay for the night.
- Transcripts from the Hidden Valley bunker terminal:
The goal of the Hidden Valley project is to create a self-sustaining shelter for high-ranking VIPs that can serve as a command structure in times of crisis. The bunker itself is located several hundred feet below the surface. Multiple layers of reinforced materials serve to prevent a breach of the inhabitable areas by anything save for a direct hit by a bunker-busting weapon utilizing a megatonnage considered outside the capability of America's closest competitors. In the event that our enemies become capable of such an attack, the bunker's DERVISH camouflage system makes targeting the site impossible for automated systems, forcing aggressors to rely on guesswork and sheer luck.
The Hidden Valley Bunker relies on two main systems:
The CANDLE Fusion Power system provides power to all bunker systems. Built more for reliability and duration of service, the power output of the system has been exceeded by many current designs, but it can supply the bunker with power for an estimated 752 years.
The DERVISH camouflage system provides visual and electronic interference to prevent airborne or long-range enemy weapons from targeting the bunker. The normal soil around Hidden Valley has been supplemented with a combination of aluminum and various silicates, which are then dispersed using a widespread network of industrial fans to blanket the area in a cloud of what is essentially chaff. Combined with the electronic countermeasures of the nearby array at Black Mountain, the bunker at Hidden Valley is effectively impossible to target.
The bunker is marked by a small broken tree stump directly on top of the dome. You will not be able to gain access to this bunker unless you have taken the holotape containing the passphrase from the two dead Brotherhood of Steel Paladins at the REPCONN Headquarters, the one near Black Mountain, or the 2 dead Brotherhood soldiers in a ditch on the artillery battered area outside Nellis Air Force Base.
If you have the holotape and passphrase, you will be given the option to say it into the intercom. Otherwise you can attempt to pick the Very Hard lock (lockpick 100) or by having follower Veronica Santangelo with you. Access can also be granted through the quest Wild Card: Side Bets or by advancing far enough into any storyline to be asked to investigate the BoS.
The facility is divided into an entrance area and two main levels. The Brotherhood of Steel Paladins will respawn after a couple days, if players are planning to take it over, it is advised to do so in one trip.
After entering the bunker there is a large entry room with a locked door on the opposite side, similar to all the other bunkers in Hidden Valley. On the other side of the locked door (you need a lock-pick skill of 100 to unlock it) is a empty room with open doorways to the left and right, which is guarded by at least two stationary Paladin on the opposition wall. They do not appear if you have brought Veronica with you. The doorway to the left leads to a small office with a desk and a computer terminal, while the doorway to the right leads to stairs going down to the main section of L1.
Hidden Valley bunker, first floor
The first floor contains the personnel quarters, a shooting range, armory, medical bay, and a school/educational room where initiates are trained.
After turning right down the set of stairs into the bunker, turn left, then right, and there are two sets of knight dorm rooms located one above the other with a set of descending stairs for the lower room. Each bed has a footlocker with a combination of a mid-condition laser pistol, energy cells and/or microfusion cells.
Hidden Valley bunker, second floor
The second floor contains the command room with living quarters for the Elder and Head Paladin Hardin. Located next to it, an archive/computer room for the Scribes, a workshop for the knights to repair and manufacture equipment, and a room containing VR chambers which seem to have been placed around the bunker's main reactor.
The Second Floor has the Brotherhood of Steel logo on the wall and two paths that go off to the east and to the west.
The west area has the Command Room with Elder McNamara and another adjoining hallway. Further down the hallway is where you find Head Paladin Hardin; he can be found in either of the two rooms beyond the first room.
The east area has the archive computer terminals, the Machine shop and the Virtual Reality pod room. The Virtual Reality pod room has both Head Scribe Taggart and Apprentice Watkins; it also houses the self-destruct authorization terminal and the self-destruct terminal (locked - Very Hard). Alternatively, terminals on the same floor of the bunker will give you a password. If you successfully hack the terminal or obtain a password, you can initiate a self-destruct sequence that will immediately vilify you with the Brotherhood of Steel and causes all Brotherhood of Steel members to become hostile. You can abort the sequence by reactivating the terminal and choosing to abort, but this has no effect on their hostility to the player at this point.
- Knight Torres, at the shooting range, has the key for the door that is on the sub level of the shop-counter. However, sometimes the key is not needed as the door is already unlocked. With the key, you can access the shop from the door below, stealing four near perfect sets of T-45d power armor and three T-45d power armor helmets, as well a few rifles and ammunition.
- In the white plastic bin by the desk in Schuler's office. Bunker L1, west of the central hub corridor junction a Nikola Tesla and You can be found.
- With Veronica as your companion when you enter she will go up to the intercom the following conversation will ensue:
- Veronica; "Hi, I'd like a large atomic shake and a double brahmin burger. And easy on the agave sauce this time."
- Ramos; "Veronica, we gave you a password. It's for your own protection."
- Veronica; "Let me in, Ramos. I know where you live."
- You can easily kill most of the Brotherhood on Level 1 with no karma or reputation loss by hacking the Hard terminal near the entrance (as long as you aren't seen) and turning the turrets against the Brotherhood.
- You can pickpocket the key from the Knight Torres by going into 3rd person, or if you squat down slightly to the left of the window you can inch right just enough to be hidden and reach her as well. This key will let you open the door under her and enter the armory. She will not say anything when you are in her shop but she may turn around to look at you.
- If you can't pickpocket Torres, a Brotherhood Paladin will occasionally walk into the armory and automatically unlock the door.
- In The Virtual Reality pod room, the Pods are from Vault 112 from Fallout 3. If you look at the screens in the pods, they show Tranquility Lane. This was probably a small detail forgotten by the developers or possibly implying that the Brotherhood of Steel is unable to change the programming.
- If the Bunker is destroyed by the player, the vents on the surface will emit smoke indefinitely implying there is a constantly burning fire in the bunker.
- Four Brotherhood of Steel paladins will regularly go out on patrol between 1am - 3am, guarding the area near their bunker until just before dawn.
- On the right of McNamara, is a map of the Mojave, similar to the map found in the Citadel from Fallout 3, with several locations marked by symbols, REPCONN Centre, Helios 1, The Fort, Camp Mccarran, The Lucky 38 and Nellis. All seem to be the centres of power for the major factions.
Hidden Valley bunker appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
- xbox360 If you found and killed a few of the paladins and later bring Veronica they will accept you and let you see the elder. However, you will be trapped in the room and the only way to get out is by pickpocketing the key from the guards. Later upon opening the door, all the paladins and alike will attack you. If you leave L2 all of your stuff will be removed (including caps) and there will be no way in getting them back.
- pc The paladin sitting at the shooting range may go missing. His reference ID is: 0010a6ff - use the console command prid 0010A6FF followed by moveto player. He then returns with his helmet on.
- xbox360 About three or more Brotherhood Paladins my spawn in the same shooting range stall and get stuck there trying to shoot at the target dummy. This may cause one of the Paladins to drop his/her Gauss rifle on the floor next to them. Though the weapon says "steal", it will not have an affect on your karma, your position with the Brotherhood, nor will any of the nearby Paladins seem to notice you taking the weapon.
- xbox360 By zoning out and back in the locker will be refilled with various ammunition, allowing you to collect an unlimited amount of energy ammunition (by constantly zoning in and out) and convert the ammunition into other types of energy ammunition, or even max charge ammunition at the workbench on Level 2.
- ps3 The merchant may begin to lag when asked to see her wares. The merchant will repeat her lines 2-3 more times before the item menu appears.
- xbox360 Inhabitants may react to firing exercises on shooting range as real combat and be unresponsive to attempts to communicate.
- xbox360 Veronica may repeat any sentence said on the intercom repeatedly, thus making her unable to converse with. This can be fixed by reloading a save.
- ps3 On occasion when visiting the hidden valley bunker with Veronica as a companion the bunker will appear to have been destroyed and the inner entrances blocked with rubble even if you have not set off the self destruct. However if you visit the bunker with Arcade Gannon and EDE in tow Brotherhood Paladins will spawn and attack upon exiting fast travel. If the courier wears the brotherhood power armor and enters the bunker now the entrances will be open and player will be free to move around the bunker and interact. * Note; NPC's may become hostile towards Arcade and EDE but will not become hostile to the player provided player is still wearing a brotherhood faction outfit and does not engage in fighting. Player will now be able to operate the self destruct terminal and destroy the hidden valley bunker as evident by the plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust vents noticeable upon exiting the bunker. [verification overdue]
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Transcripts of data terminal entries HVBunkerGoalNote and HVBunkerSystemsOverview located within the Hidden Valley bunker.