| ||This page is about the location that is home to the Brotherhood of Steel. For the Hidden Valley location, see Hidden Valley.|
Hidden Valley bunker
Then allow me to explain our situation. This bunker is currently locked down, allowing no entry or exit, with you being one of the few exceptions.”— Elder McNamara
The Hidden Valley bunker is a location in the Mojave Wasteland. There are four similar-looking bunkers located close to each other in Hidden Valley, southeast of Sloan in the Mojave Wasteland. One particular bunker is the entrance to the home of the Brotherhood of Steel. It is directly west of the fast travel location (center of area) with a small broken tree stump directly on top of the dome.
Hidden Valley is a complex of USAF bunkers remaining from before the Great War near the heart of the valley. Abandoned even before the war, the area around the bunkers is littered with junk. Signs on the roads and peaks leading into the valley mark the boundaries of the complex. Stretches of drooping pre war wire fences also note the area as being USAF restricted. Prospectors who have returned from Hidden Valley have reported four bunkers, each with an intercom system, but complete silence in response to any calls on the intercoms. Furthermore, prospectors have reported an eerie feeling upon entering the complex. Others tell of seeing armored figures exiting the Valley from within a raging sandstorm that seems to arrive every evening and stay for the night.
- Transcripts from the Hidden Valley bunker terminal:
The goal of the Hidden Valley project is to create a self-sustaining shelter for high-ranking VIPs that can serve as a command structure in times of crisis. The bunker itself is located several hundred feet below the surface. Multiple layers of reinforced materials serve to prevent a breach of the inhabitable areas by anything save for a direct hit by a bunker-busting weapon utilizing a megatonnage considered outside the capability of America's closest competitors. In the event that our enemies become capable of such an attack, the bunker's DERVISH camouflage system makes targeting the site impossible for automated systems, forcing aggressors to rely on guesswork and sheer luck.
The Hidden Valley Bunker relies on two main systems:
The CANDLE Fusion Power system provides power to all bunker systems. Built more for reliability and duration of service, the power output of the system has been exceeded by many current designs, but it can supply the bunker with power for an estimated 752 years.
The DERVISH camouflage system provides visual and electronic interference to prevent airborne or long-range enemy weapons from targeting the bunker. The normal soil around Hidden Valley has been supplemented with a combination of aluminum and various silicates, which are then dispersed using a widespread network of industrial fans to blanket the area in a cloud of what is essentially chaff. Combined with the electronic countermeasures of the nearby array at Black Mountain, the bunker at Hidden Valley is effectively impossible to target.
The bunker is marked by a small broken tree stump directly on top of the dome. There is a hollowed-out rock marked with a heart and "no bomb" graffiti located to the west of the entrance to the bunker (This is also where you fast travel to). The cement wall around the bunker's door includes these graffiti, as well as ones that read, "BAN THE BOMB", "GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!!", and several others.
Approved, unaccompanied access to this bunker cannot be gained unless at least one of the holotapes is recovered from either the two dead Brotherhood of Steel paladins at the REPCONN Headquarters, the paladins in Moe's crater near Black Mountain, or the two dead Brotherhood soldiers in a ditch on the artillery-battered area outside Nellis Air Force Base.
If at least one of the holotapes is in the inventory, the option to speak its pass phrase into the intercom will be available. Alternately, access can be gained by picking the Very Hard lock (lockpick 100), by having Veronica Santangelo as a companion, through the quest Wild Card: Side Bets, or by advancing far enough into any storyline to be asked to investigate the Brotherhood.
The facility is divided into an entrance area and two main levels. The Brotherhood of Steel paladins will respawn after a couple days, if planning to take it over, it is advised to do so in one trip.
After entering the bunker there is a large entry room with a locked door on the opposite side, similar to all the other bunkers in Hidden Valley. On the other side of the locked door (lockpick 75) is an empty room with open doorways to the left and right, which is guarded by at least two stationary paladins on the opposite wall. They do not appear if Veronica is present. The doorway to the left leads to a small office with a desk and a computer terminal, while the doorway to the right leads to stairs going down to the main section of L1.
Hidden Valley bunker, first floorEdit
The first floor contains the personnel quarters, a shooting range, armory, medical bay, and an instruction room where initiates are trained.
After turning right down the set of stairs into the bunker, turn left, then right, and there are two sets of knight dorm rooms located one above the other with a set of descending stairs for the lower room. Each bed has a footlocker with a combination of a mid-condition laser pistol, energy cells and/or microfusion cells.
Hidden Valley bunker, second floorEdit
The second floor contains the command room with living quarters for the Elder and Head Paladin Hardin. Located next to it, an archive/computer room for the scribes, a workshop for the knights to repair and manufacture equipment, and a room containing VR (virtual reality) chambers which seem to have been placed around the bunker's main reactor.
The second floor has the Brotherhood of Steel logo on the wall and two paths that go off to the east and to the west.
The west area has the Command Room with Elder McNamara and another adjoining hallway. Head Paladin Hardin is further down the hall; he can be found in either of the two rooms beyond the first room.
The east area contains the archive computer terminals, the Machine shop and the V R pod room. The VR pod room has both Head Scribe Taggart and Apprentice Watkins; it also houses the self-destruct authorization terminal and the self-destruct terminal (locked - Very Hard). Alternatively, terminals on the same floor of the bunker will give a password. If the terminal is successfully hacked, or the Courier obtains a password, they can initiate a self-destruct sequence that will immediately vilify them with the Brotherhood of Steel and cause all Brotherhood of Steel members to become hostile. The sequence can be aborted by reactivating the terminal and choosing to abort, but this has no effect on their hostility at this point.
- Knight Torres, at the shooting range, has the key for the door that is on the sub level of the shop-counter. However, sometimes the key is not needed as the door is already unlocked. With the key, the shop can be entered from the door below, allowing the theft of four near perfect sets of T-45d power armor and three T-45d power armor helmets.
- In the white plastic bin by the desk in Schuler's office. Bunker L1, west of the central hub corridor junction a Nikola Tesla and You can be found.
- Greased Lightning, can be bought from the bunker's weapons dealer after McNamara / Hardin gives the Courier full access.
- Brotherhood Elder's robe, worn by Elder McNamara or Edgar Hardin if he's been made elder.
- With Veronica as a companion upon entry, she will go up to the intercom the following conversation will ensue:
- Veronica: "Hi, I'd like a large atomic shake and a double brahmin burger. And easy on the agave sauce this time."
- Ramos: "Veronica, we gave you a password. It's for your own protection."
- Veronica: "Let me in, Ramos. I know where you live."
- Most of the Brotherhood on Level 1 can be killed with no Karma or reputation loss by hacking the Hard terminal near the entrance (as long as the deed is not seen) and turning the turrets against the Brotherhood.
- The key can be pickpocketed from the Knight Torres by going into 3rd person, or by squatting down slightly to the left of the window and inching right just enough to be hidden and reach her as well. This key will open the door under her allowing entry into the armory. She will not say anything when the Courier is in her shop but she may turn around to look at them.
- If Torres cannot be pickpocketed, a Brotherhood paladin will occasionally walk into the armory and automatically unlock the door.
- In The Virtual Reality pod room, the pods are from Vault 112 from Fallout 3. The screens in the pods show Tranquility Lane. This may be a small detail missed by the developers or possibly a clue that the Brotherhood of Steel is unable to change the programming.
- If the Bunker is destroyed by the Courier, the vents on the surface will emit smoke indefinitely implying there is a constantly burning fire in the bunker.
- Four Brotherhood of Steel paladins will regularly go out on patrol between 1am - 3am, guarding the area near their bunker until just before dawn.
- On the right of McNamara, is a map of the Mojave, similar to the map found in the Citadel from Fallout 3, with several locations marked by symbols, REPCONN HQ, Helios One, The Fort, Camp McCarran, The Lucky 38, and Nellis Air Force Base. All seem to be the centers of power for the major factions.
- The layout and general appearance of the corridors and rooms of Hidden Valley look almost identical to Raven Rock. This is probably due to the fact that they are both Pre-War US military installations.
- In the medical room near the shooting range, there is a gene-projector identical to the one used in Fallout 3, it even has Sex, Race, Face and Body buttons on it.
- It is possible to steal two sets (armor and helmet) of T-45d power armor without having to pickpocket Knight Torres for the key. To the far left of the barrier that separates the Courier and Torres, there is be a crevice that is close enough to a shelf that contains four sets of power armor. Go over to the crevice and walk close enough two sets of armor will be takeable. However, as this cannot be done while crouching, it won't be possible to tell if anyone sees it.
The Hidden Valley bunker appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- pc When the bunker is first entered and Paladin Ramos is talked to, he will say to follow him to the Elder McNamara, but the Courier won't be able to move. Wearing a non-faction armor and/or staying outside of Ramos' office seem to fix this.
- xbox360 ps3 If the Courier found and killed a few of the paladins and later brought Veronica they will accept them and let them see the elder. However, the Courier may be trapped in the room and the only way to get out is by pickpocketing the key from the guards. Later upon opening the door, all the paladins and alike will attack. If L2 is left, the entire inventory will be removed (including caps) and there will be no way in getting them back.[verified]
- pc The paladin sitting at the shooting range may go missing. His reference ID is: 0010a6ff - use the console command prid 0010A6FF followed by moveto player. He then returns with his helmet on.[verified]
- xbox360 About three or more Brotherhood Paladins may spawn in the same shooting range stall and get stuck there trying to shoot at the target dummy. This may cause one of the paladins to drop their Gauss rifle on the floor next to them. Though the weapon is labeled "steal", it will not have an effect on Karma or status with the Brotherhood, nor will any of the nearby paladins seem to notice the weapon being taken.[verified]
- xbox360 By zoning out and back in the locker will be refilled with various ammunition, allowing the collection of an unlimited amount of energy ammunition (by constantly zoning in and out) and convert the ammunition into other types of energy ammunition, or even max charge ammunition at the workbench on Level 2.[verified]
- ps3 The merchant may begin to lag when asked to see her wares. The merchant will repeat her lines several times before the item menu appears.[verified]
- xbox360 Inhabitants may react to firing exercises on shooting range as real combat and be unresponsive to attempts to communicate.[verified]
- xbox360 Veronica may repeat any sentence said on the intercom repeatedly, thus making her unable to converse with. This can be fixed by reloading a save.[verified]
- xbox360 ps3 On occasion when visiting the hidden valley bunker with Veronica as a companion the bunker will appear to have been destroyed and the inner entrances blocked with rubble even if the self destruct hasn't been activated. However if the bunker is visited with Arcade Gannon and ED-E in tow, Brotherhood paladins will spawn and attack upon exiting fast travel. If the Courier wears the Brotherhood power armor and enters the bunker now the entrances will be open and they will be free to move around the bunker and interact. * Note; characters may become hostile towards Arcade and ED-E but will not become hostile to the Courier provided they are still wearing a Brotherhood faction outfit and does not engage in fighting. They will now be able to operate the self destruct terminal and destroy the hidden valley bunker as evident by the plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust vents noticeable upon exiting the bunker.[verified]
- pc If, after entering the room where the Courier is approached and told to give up their weapons, they quickly run up on the side and engage the door, their companions will zone in next to them. This makes it easier to take on all of the guards. It is also possible to go through the conversation and after giving up all of the equipment and weapons, but before fading completely to black, phase into talk with the Elder in sneak-mode and engage the door. This may interrupt the sequence and phase the Courier behind the door with their companions-sometimes with all of their equipment.[verified]
- ps3 Rarely after completing the Brotherhood quest Tend to Your Business and speaking to the Elder (and thus receiving Power Armor Training) the door exiting L1 to Hidden Valley Bunker will be locked and require a key. Though the key was obtained after earlier quests, it will no longer be there. Go to the paladins at the bottom of the stairs, and pickpocket a key from them. This will not have an effect on Karma, and they don't seem to notice anyone reaching under their armor, and taking a key right in front of them.[verified]
- ps3 Sometimes, upon entering the bunker, initiates and paladins currently sleeping will sleep on the very edge, or to the complete side of the bed, hovering in midair. Rarely when attempting to wake (interact with) them, they will stand up and become stuck in the bed, or wall next to them. Note: sometimes when clipped into a wall or bed, they will fall off the world, sometimes never reappearing. [verification needed]
- xbox360 Unarmed attacks on characters in the VR room, such as Head Scribe Taggart, may cause them to fall through the floor. [verified]
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Transcripts of data terminal entries "HVBunkerGoalNote" and "HVBunkerSystemsOverview", located within the Hidden Valley Bunker.