| ||This page is about the Hidden Valley location. For the unmarked location that is home to the Brotherhood of Steel, see Hidden Valley bunker.|
Scavengers report hulking individuals moving around Hidden Valley after dusk, but have been unable to identify them due to low visibility.”— Mr. New Vegas
Hidden Valley is in a fenced-in area nestled between hills and rocks roughly north-east of the NCR Correctional Facility (NCRCF) and south-east of Sloan. The valley is home to numerous bark scorpions and remnants of the Mojave chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel that once occupied HELIOS One before being defeated by the NCR in Operation: Sunburst.
Hidden Valley is a complex of USAF bunkers remaining from before the Great War near the heart of the valley. Abandoned even before the war, the area around the bunkers is littered with junk. Signs on the roads and peaks leading into the valley mark the boundaries of the complex. Stretches of drooping pre war wire fences also note the area as being USAF restricted. Prospectors who have returned from Hidden Valley have reported four bunkers, each with an intercom system, but complete silence in response to any calls on the intercoms. Furthermore, prospectors have reported an eerie feeling upon entering the complex. Others tell of seeing armored figures exiting the Valley from within a raging sandstorm that seems to arrive every evening and stay for the night.
- Transcripts from the Hidden Valley bunker terminal:
The goal of the Hidden Valley project is to create a self-sustaining shelter for high-ranking VIPs that can serve as a command structure in times of crisis. The bunker itself is located several hundred feet below the surface. Multiple layers of reinforced materials serve to prevent a breach of the inhabitable areas by anything save for a direct hit by a bunker-busting weapon utilizing a megatonnage considered outside the capability of America's closest competitors. In the event that our enemies become capable of such an attack, the bunker's DERVISH camouflage system makes targeting the site impossible for automated systems, forcing aggressors to rely on guesswork and sheer luck.
The Hidden Valley Bunker relies on two main systems:
The CANDLE Fusion Power system provides power to all bunker systems. Built more for reliability and duration of service, the power output of the system has been exceeded by many current designs, but it can supply the bunker with power for an estimated 752 years.
The DERVISH camouflage system provides visual and electronic interference to prevent airborne or long-range enemy weapons from targeting the bunker. The normal soil around Hidden Valley has been supplemented with a combination of aluminum and various silicates, which are then dispersed using a widespread network of industrial fans to blanket the area in a cloud of what is essentially chaff. Combined with the electronic countermeasures of the nearby array at Black Mountain, the bunker at Hidden Valley is effectively impossible to target.
Hidden Valley can be accessed via the road near Sloan and at the northwest and southeast corners where the fence is down. There are also small side-paths, at least one of which is heavily inhabited by bark scorpions and the occasional giant radscorpion when going in the direction of Scorpion Gulch nearby. A hollowed-out rock with a heart and anti-bomb symbol painted on it will be directly in front of the Courier when fast-traveling to Hidden Valley.
Inside the fenced area, four bunkers are spread around the perimeter of the area. Three of four bunkers are just a large entry room with a locked door on the opposite side that lead to nowhere, but may contain some notable loot.
- East bunker
The entry room has 2 skeletons on a sleeping mat with a bottle of wine and a suitcase, which suggests a sad story. There is also a campfire. The locked (easy) door in this bunker hides a hundred 5mm rounds and anywhere between twenty and twenty four 5.56mm rounds.
- North bunker
- South bunker
This bunker has two grenade bouquets hanging from the ceiling at the bottom of the staircase. There's also a third grenade bouquet located on the high ceiling of the entry room. The entry room contains a sleeping pad and a sack, along with a journal indicating that someone is using the bunker as a safehouse. The locked (hard) door here opens the way to 3 ammunition boxes, a mini nuke hidden under a tin plate, a steam gauge assembly and 2 pieces of scrap metal on the right, and frag grenades and some 5.56mm rounds on the left.
- West bunker
The fourth bunker, also known as Hidden Valley bunker, is the home of the Brotherhood of Steel. The bunker is marked by a small broken tree stump directly on top of the dome. It is not possible to gain access to this bunker unless you acquire the holotape containing the passphrase from either the two dead Brotherhood of Steel Paladins at the REPCONN Headquarters, the one near Black Mountain, or the 2 dead Brotherhood soldiers in a ditch on the artillery battered area outside Nellis Air Force Base.
With the holotape and passphrase, an option will be given to say it into the intercom. Otherwise the Very Hard lock can be picked or the door can be opened with Veronica present. Access can also be granted through the quest Wild Card: Side Bets or by advancing far enough in any storyline to be asked to interact with the Brotherhood of Steel.
- The south bunker will be empty when entered unless the Still in the Dark quest has been activated, which will cause the NCR Ranger to appear within near the campfire.
- Going into the Brotherhood of Steel bunker while wearing any type of NCR armor will automatically make the entire bunker hostile, even with Veronica present.
- When entering the Brotherhood secure area using the passphrase, the NCR Ranger portion of the Still in the Dark quest will immediately start. All weapons and armor will be taken, but will be given back once the task is completed. See Still in the Dark for more information.
- If the lock is picked, the Brotherhood soldiers will not be hostile, but when leaving the bunker again all followers will be locked in the bunker; meaning the very hard door must be unlocked again to get them back or get them after the completion of the Still in the Dark quest.
- If the self destruct system is detonated, the DERVISH camouflage system is disabled and smoke rises up out of the air shaft vents scattered around the bunkers.
- In the South Bunker there are grenade bouquets hanging from both the ceiling at the bottom of the staircase and in center of the main room. If entering this bunker after receiving the related task as part of Still in the Dark, the traps will be gone.
- The interior of the Brotherhood's bunker bears a striking resemblance to Raven Rock from Fallout 3.
- Four Brotherhood of Steel paladins will regularly go out on patrol between 1am - 3am, guarding the area near the bunker until just before dawn.
- It is still possible to trade with Knight Torres after getting a negative reputation. Put on brotherhood armor, have companions wait far away, then quickly run up to her and initiate dialogue. If done fast enough, then she will engage in trade before seeing through the disguise. After finishing, just run away and in around 20 seconds she will be friendly again.
- There's a hollowed-out rock in the middle of Hidden Valley.
- Most of the time it will be hard to fast travel when inside Hidden Valley because of the bark scorpions in the area.
Hidden Valley appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- pc ps3 xbox360 After wandering though the bunker and exiting out into the wasteland again sometimes might spawn around 2-5 bark scorpions right outside of the bunker you came from. In the later patches, bark scorpions spawn less frequently.[verified]
- ps3 pc xbox360 In the hill paths leading to Hidden Valley, it is possible to encounter deathclaws from Quarry Junction, including the dreaded deathclaw alpha. It may pop out from under the hills or rocks.[verified]
- ps3 xbox360 If you fast travel to Hidden Valley and arrive just before the sun rises, the ground may turn black and the distant surrounding areas will have turned into a hazed green. The ground will eventually change back into color but the screen will go completely black afterwards and the game will need to be restarted. A way to avoid this is if you make your way out of Hidden Valley before the screen changes. This is most likely a glitch from the sandstorm that flows throughout the area at night.[verified]
- This may also occur if the player uses the wait function while in Hidden Valley.[verified]
- pc A securitron Mk I may spawn in the bunker, blocking the player. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Sometimes an evolved centaur will spawn right next to the player upon fast travel to Hidden Valley. This can begin to happen after killing Moe and the other various centaurs in the crater near Black Mountain.[verified]
- xbox360 It is possible to get infinite ammunition from the supply footlocker. Take the ammunition, craft something in lvl 2 with it, then return, and the footlocker will be resupplied. Simply exiting and reentering the bunker will also respawn more ammunition.[verified]
- ps3 It is possible to go through the ruins blocking the entrance to the Bunker. You are unable to get out however once inside.[verified]
- xbox360 Victor spawned in the bunker when waiting by the ammunition case.[verified]
- ps3 During the tutorial quest, Sunny Smiles may transport to the Valley.[verified]
- pc xbox360If you approach the valley at night while using cateye or have the Friend of the Night perk, the night vision effect will suddenly fail and the screen will become much darker. This can happen at a distances well over 100 yards away and may surprise people coming from directions where they cannot see the valley itself. This may be an effect of the camouflage system and can be fixed by simply walking in another direction. [verified]
- xbox360 When killed, the Bark scorpions may glitch through the ground and disappear some time later.[verified]
- xbox360 pc When disarming the grenade bouquets in the south bunker while using Turbo, sometimes you will successfully disarm them (and collect the three grenades in your inventory), yet the trap will still trigger, dropping three more exploding grenades. [verified]
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Transcripts of data terminal entries "HVBunkerGoalNote" and "HVBunkerSystemsOverview", located within the Hidden Valley Bunker.