|Side Quest: Here There Be Monsters|
|Go to The Shamrock Taphouse and talk to Donny Kowalski on the dock at the rear of the building. Alternatively, swim out to the submarine without talking to Donny.|
|Investigate the Yangtze submarine.|
|Talk to Captain Zao.|
|Get the dampening coil from Saugus Ironworks.|
|Talk to Captain Zao.|
|Collect the nuclear warhead from the unfired ICBM in the submarine.|
|Talk to Zao.|
|Replace the dampening coils and insert the warhead in to the reactor.|
|Talk to Zao.|
|Rewards: 200 XP|
Three homing beacons
*4 pre-War money
Here There Be Monsters is a side quest triggered by speaking with Donny Kowalski, who's located on the docks behind The Shamrock Taphouse. He'll excitedly tell you he's been seeing an eye stalk peeking out of the water off the docks, being convinced it belongs to a sea monster, regardless of how the player may respond. Through this dialogue, the quest will begin and the Yangtze submarine will be placed on the map, located directly in front of the pier Donny is standing on. It'll take a short swim to reach and is easily visible as a periscope covered in seaweed juts out of the water and often moves up and down. This quest can alternatively be started by simply swimming to the Yangtze and does not require the dialogue with Donny to begin.
From here, the player will need to speak with Captain Zao, located in the first main room of the submarine. He questions why the Sole Survivor is there, remarking that the war is long over and tells them that he has no treasure on board to plunder. He will go on to say how his submarine ended up as it is and express surprise that he's been there for over 200 years already. He'll then tell the player his ship is not seaworthy any longer and ask if they'll help him fix it. Once the player agrees to help, he'll say that there is damage done to a dampening coil and that he needs a new one, of which his war time intelligence told him could be found in Saugus Ironworks. At this point, he can be pushed into three different rewards with speech checks of increasing difficulty. He'll start by offering pre-War money, stating it must still have some value. He will offer caps if pushed further, and if the final speech check is passed, he will reluctantly offer his sword as a final reward.
To continue the quest, the player will need to travel to Saugus Ironworks, which is located directly south of The Slog and run by the Forged, who populate and defend the inside and outside of the building. Several members of the Forged are very likely to be wielding flamers and will use Molotov cocktails frequently. If the player has been here before, it's entirely possible for it to already be cleared out. The dampening coil is located within the Saugus blast furnace inside of the building. To reach this room, one must traverse the ground floor to the upper most floor, cross the middle of the room to the other half of the building, and then climb back down again. The blast furnace is found near the front of the second half of the building right in front of the door leading to the roof of the complex.
The blast furnace is inhabited by Slag, the leader of the Forged, and entering the room will start an unmarked encounter with him. It may be possible to retrieve the dampening coil without killing him and the others inside, but they will attack the player at the end of the immediately prompted dialogue regardless. Once Slag is defeated and the others in the room dealt with, the dampening coil can be found in the back right part of the room. Take it and leave the location, traveling back to the Yangtze.
Upon your return, enter the submarine and speak with Zao again. He'll be ecstatic at your retrieval of the item and go on to say he now needs nuclear fuel. He'll say that during the Great War, one of the missiles on his submarine did not fire and that this is what he will need you to find in the depths of his ship. He warns you that his crew is still alive in the deeper parts of the vessel and that they were not as fortunate as he was, having all been turned into feral ghouls.
Walk through the door leading to the bulkhead. Upon entering, several feral ghouls will be found roaming about. With the submarine rooms being so small, they'll need to be confronted as one travels further into the vessel. While there are many rooms, there's only ever one way to progress. Through this portion of the submarine, radiation levels can increase greatly at a consistent rate of 1 to 3 rads per second in the first room of the bulkhead and upwards of over 20 rads per second in the middle of the room where the warhead is found. As the submarine is only accessible through swimming, even with fast traveling, power armor is a viable option (unless you are in Survival mode), simply walk to the northeast corner of the barge you appear on while wearing power armor - then do a running jump while facing west. Done correctly this should land you on the sub, then walk to the conning tower and enter. If you are in Survival mode you will not be able to fast travel to the barge. It is possible to reach the barge using power armor equipped with a jet pack and jumping from the dock to the barge in stages. Using careful thrust application while landing on the channel markers to recharge your Action Points for the next jump it is possible, but VERY difficult. Eventually, the player will reach a final room where the First mate, who has been transformed into a glowing one, is found. This is the room the warhead is found which can be taken once the First mate is defeated. From here, the player will need to talk to Zao once again.
He will tell the player to insert the dampening coil into the submarine followed by the warhead. If this is done in the reverse order, the submarine will explode, ending the quest and Sole Survivor's life. Once this is done correctly, speak to Zao one final time. He will reward the player with three homing beacons, each of which allows for one tactical nuclear strike, ending the quest. If any or all of the speech checks were passed at the beginning of the quest, he will also give the player 4 pre-War money for the first passed speech check, 200 caps for the second passed speech check, and his unique sword, Zao's sword, as the result of passing all three.
- If Zao is killed after the quest is completed, the homing beacons will still function as they otherwise would.
- It is possible to escape the ship after putting the warhead in first (with the use of jet), however, you will still be killed by the explosion.
- Zao is equipped with a unique outfit that can be taken from his body if killed or if the player has the perk allowing them to pickpocket equipped items.
- Through the course of the quest, a Shishkebab, the Explosives bobblehead, and Picket Fences issue #3 can be acquired when clearing Saugus Ironworks if the player has not obtained them already. They are all located in the final room where the quest item is obtained.
- Strangely enough, there are various bottles of Nuka-Cola on the ship, including a bottle of Nuka-Cola Quantum. This is strange seeing the hostilities between the USA and China, which would make it unlikely that the Chinese would drink Nuka-Cola. The poster of Nuka-Cola could also be seen in the mess hall. This may however be a reference to some of the Soviet elite during the Cold War, who had access to privately imported Western soft drinks otherwise unavailable to the general population. This could also be a reference to the movie "On the Beach" that was also set in a world after a nuclear war. In the movie, a nuclear submarine was one of the focuses, and a bottle of Coca Cola was a key part in the story.
- Even more strangely, the terminals are all in English, and made by RobCo Industries.
- At any point after the Yangtze has been entered and Zao first spoken to, the player can return to Donny and either tell him the "monster" swallowed the Sole Survivor whole and that he or she had to cut it open from the inside, or tell him the truth that it is just a submarine.
- Before entering Saugus Ironworks, stopping by Finch Farm and starting the quest Out of the Fire from Abraham Finch may be a wise course of action, as both quests take place at the factory.
- After completing the quest, Travis Miles will report sightings of a submarine going out to sea. However, the Yangtze does not leave or move.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
The name of the quest is a reference to how cartographers historically drew sea monsters on unexplored areas of a map. In many cases, a phrase similar to "here there be monsters," such as the Roman "here are lions" (hic sunt leones), was written on maps as well.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|