How much damage your character can take before dying. If you reach 0 HP or less, you are dead.”— In-game description
Hit Points (HP) also known as Health are a game mechanic used to measure the health of a character. During combat, wounded characters lose HP. When a character gains a new level, additional HP is awarded. Should a character be reduced to 0 HP, the character dies. Needless to say, HP is an important character statistic to be monitored during play. HP can be restored using various medical items/food items such as stimpaks and wasteland omelets. HP can also be restored by sleeping or paying a doctor (both of these methods heal crippled limbs, except in hardcore mode in Fallout: New Vegas). HP can also be restored by waiting, at a rate of approximately 2 HP per 3 hours (Fallout: New Vegas).
Fallout, Fallout 2Edit
The Maximum HP increase per level is
- The Lifegiver perk gives you an additional 4 maximum HP per rank every time you gain a level.
- The Alcohol Raised Hit Points and Autodoc Raised Hit Points perks each increase your maximum HP by 2.
- The Alcohol Raised Hit Points II and Autodoc Raised Hit Points II perks each increase your maximum HP by 4.
- The Alcohol Lowered Hit Points and Autodoc Lowered Hit Points perks each decrease your maximum HP by 2.
- The Alcohol Lowered Hit Points II and Autodoc Lowered Hit Points II perks each decrease your maximum HP by 4.
Fallout 3, New VegasEdit
Fallout: New VegasEdit
Between Fallout 3 and New Vegas, base HPs were changed from 90 to 95. Further, fAVDHealthLevelMult was changed from 10 to 5. The result is starting characters from both games with Endurance 5 will have the same HPs (200) but New Vegas character's HPs scale slower than Fallout 3 characters.
Max health of a player without any chem boosts, dlc or perks and at max Endurance is 445
Max health of a player with dlc's, chems and perks at max Endurance is 885
- ¹ From Life Giver perk. ² From buffout. ³ From Sierra Madre martini. 4 From Thought You Died perk (if Karma is at 1000 points). 5 From Black blood sausage. 6 From Battle brew.
- The Life Giver perk can add an additional +30 HP.
- The Survival Expert perk can add between an additional +5 to +15 HP.
- Buffout temporarily increases maximum HP by 60, in addition to a three point increase in Endurance, resulting in a maximum possible increase of 120 HP.
- With the Broken Steel add-on, the max HP is increased due to level cap being increased from 20 to 30.
- Similarly, with each Fallout: New Vegas add-on, max HP is increased due to the level cap being raised by five.
- At higher levels there may be a limit to max HP.
- In the Dead Money add-on, the companion Dean Domino, can provide the player with Sierra Madre martinis which have a similar temporary effect to Buffout, increasing maximum HP by 75, as well as four points in Endurance.
- The sound of a heart beat can be heard when the player is at low health, the sound gets louder (and faster) the less and less health the player has. However, there have been some occasions in which the player's health is so low that their heartbeat actually stops.
- Depending on Endurance, a small amount of HP is automatically restored by Healing Rate.
- Waiting restores the player's HP by 0.66 per hour.
The Maximum HP increase per level is
Fallout: Brotherhood of SteelEdit
- The Die Hard skill gives you an additional +20 maximum HP (up to a maximum +200) per rank.
- The Rad Child skill allows Cain to regenerate health when others would receive radioactive damage.
- The Sadist skill gives you the ability to regenerate +2 HP for Cain and +5 HP for Nadia (up to regenerate a maximum +25 HP for Nadia and +10 HP for Cain) per rank whenever they kill an enemy.