I don't have that kind of money, and if I did, I wouldn't give it to a little trickster like you.”— Chosen One, after failing the task
In Modoc, talk to Grisham (Davin and Miria's father, Biff's brother) about his slaughterhouse. When exiting the conversation, he'll ask if the Chosen One wants a job. Agree to it, and he'll send them to the brahmin pasture. The task at hand is to keep the wild dogs from killing his herd.
Moving to the pasture, one should run north immediately to put themselves between the brahmin and the marauding dogs. There are 10 dogs total and they spawn semi-randomly, but always from the north side of the screen. Each brahmin they take down lessens the reward, so kill them as quickly as possible. Typically after a few have gone down, the rest become fully hostile, so be prepared. They can be nasty due to their high Sequence if not prepared.
When all of the dogs have been killed, return to Grisham and he'll pay out according to how many brahmin were saved. If for some reason all the brahmin were killed, Grisham will charge the Chosen One $1500 instead. This leads to an unfixed bug, where it is impossible to actually pay him, and have to deal with all sorts of game-related nastiness.
- $1000 (-$100 for each brahmin killed)
- +0 to +50 Karma
- Each dog dispatched gives +5 Karma. Does not count if a companion kills one.
- 60 XP per dog killed
- The brahmin might sometimes move closer to the attacking dogs.
- It is possible to rest while trying to defend the brahmin from the dogs; they will not go anywhere closer to the brahmin. However, Grisham will not be fooled, and will take it that all ten got killed.
- It's possible for followers to accidentally injure the brahmin, turning them hostile and causing said followers to attempt to wipe them out.
Sometimes even if all dogs are killed and brahmin are saved, the game might think that the brahmin are all dead, failing the quest once leaving the area. [verified]