Ah, see, the Brotherhood's one thing, but the Pride... Best of the best. Every damn one of us. Hand picked by Sentinel Lyons herself.”
Paladin Kodiak (also known as Greg Bear) is the largest and strongest member of the Lyons' Pride. He is actually considered the largest and strongest member of the Brotherhood of Steel in general. As the name implies, he's as gruff and vicious as a bear, and he excels in close combat with a super sledge. Paladin Kodiak owes his life to Elder Lyons, who rescued Kodiak as a child from a distant city known as "The Pitt." Because of this, Kodiak thinks of Elder Lyons as his father.
The Pitt was the site of a siege conducted by Elder Lyons, intended to wipe out any and all of the city's mutated residents. Kodiak describes the city as being a dangerous, crime-filled place, more so than any other area in the East Coast wasteland, and certainly enough for him to consider the Scourge the best thing to happen to the place. The only citizens of The Pitt spared by Lyons (apart from those lucky enough to escape) were children who appeared to be unmutated. Greg Bear was one of these children. He informs the Lone Wanderer that he and about 20 other unmutated youths were brought to Washington, D.C. and subsequently trained as Brothers of Steel by Lyons - he remains as the only surviving Brother from that group still stationed at the Citadel.
Within the Lyons' Pride, Kodiak is their "jack of all trades" not specializing in any one area, but doing a bit of everything: recon, demolition, and tactical assault.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Take it Back!: Kodiak will aid the Lone Wanderer in battle when reclaiming Project Purity.
- Gallows Humor: Kodiak may make the player character aware of the bets concerning Knight Captain Gallows' name.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Lyons' Pride power armor
Brotherhood power helmet*
Merc outfit (Varies)
|AER9 laser rifle
|-||Brotherhood of Steel holotag|
* During Take it Back!
- When he tells the Wanderer his story, one is unable to tell him they have been to the The Pitt even if one has completed the main quest. He will assume they have never been and will tell them about the Trogs and Raiders.
- He is a somber but polite paladin like Gallows.
- "There's meat under that armor. And meat can be ground." – Kodiak commenting on Enclave soldier
- "Now that's a story... The only reason I'm here is because of Elder Lyons. You see, I grew up in the Pitt. Don't suppose you've ever been there, huh? It's about 500 klicks to the northwest. Place is a nightmare -- three irradiated rivers coming together. People there were... not well. But the Brotherhood of Steel came down on the place with a righteous hammer. They called it "The Scourge.""
- "Ah, see, the Brotherhood's one thing, but the Pride... Best of the best. Every damn one of us. Hand picked by Sentinel Lyons herself."
Paladin Kodiak appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
The name "Kodiak" refers to the Kodiak bear (also known as the Alaskan Brown Bear), one of the largest species of bear in the world.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide
- ↑ Ishmael Ashur's dialogue: For example, they took one survivor, a kid the called "Kodiak". But they left his big brothers behind, because they were too wild and mean. But as it turns out, the Bear Brothers were some of my finest soldiers. At least, until they went up against you.