This mansion was the family home of the Grandchester family, Hannibal, Morticia and their daughter, Lucy. Lucy Grandchester allegedly became possessed and murdered her parents, was committed to a mental institution, then escaped and committed suicide by hanging in the attic shortly after her 18th birthday. An indeterminate time later, this house was converted to a tourist attraction, taking advantage of the high traffic from the nearby Nuka-World amusement park.
The house is locked, but entry can be obtained from the protectron ticket taker working just outside the front entrance. The Sole Survivor can either buy a ticket, pick a ticket up off the ground by the protectron's feet and present it to the protectron, pass a Speech check to convince the protectron that they are an employee, pickpocket the key off the protectron or destroy it and loot its corpse.
This large building features several accessible floors. The tour of the building is linear, often locking the Sole Survivor in until the automated announcer finishes describing the current room and asks them to "please proceed to the next room." The tour moves through the main floor, right until the kitchen. In the kitchen is a Master-locked door that leads to the basement. Inside the basement is a Novice-locked door with a bloody scene containing six trader corpses.
From the main hall and from the kitchen are three stairs going to the second floor. The doors on the second floor accessible from the main room are all locked and need a key (and are opened later as part of the tour). The door accessible through the kitchen is unlocked as it is part of the tour. The hallway upstairs is protected by an automated turret.
The second floor has several chambers, the first one is rigged with gas and was used for seances. The gas can be turned off by using the terminal in the back left corner. The next hallway ends with dead end stairs and the bedroom of the child on the left. Adjacent to the child's bedroom lies the parents' bedroom, currently in use by Zachariah. In this room is a Master-locked door that leads to the attic, along with a locked exit to the building.
Throughout the mansion you'll find doors like this one that open to blank walls in an attempt to confuse the spirits possessing Lucy, the Grandchester'sIn-game spelling, punctuation and/or grammar daughter.”
Portrait of Morticia Grandchester. Photographs suggest that the artist took many liberties to make her look youthful and attractive.”
Throughout her short life, Lucy was fascinated with fire. She liked to throw insects into the flames and watch them burn.”
After creating this upside down room, the Grandchesters stopped receiving visitors. Most of their high society friends had begun to shun them by then anyway.”
The Grandchesters had trouble keeping staff, especially cooks, once Lucy was old enough to roam the mansion. The longest serving cook was "Granny" RatchetIn-game spelling, punctuation and/or grammar whom they hired away from a prison. She quit after 5 months declaring Lucy to be Satan's spawn.”
When curators investigated this room, they found a variety of hidden speakers, trip wires, fog machines and other devices clearly used to stage false seances.”
After the gruesome murder of Lucy's parents, the police confiscated dozens of items from this room. There were assorted knives, makeshift weapons, animal bones and toxic substances. Strangest of all was a journal written in some sort of code that was never deciphered. UnfortunatelyIn-game spelling, punctuation and/or grammar all of those items remain in police evidence lockers to this day.”
- Grandchester Mansion tickets - Sold by the ticket taker protectron at the entrance of the mansion.
- Grandchester Mansion key - One in possession of the ticket taker and another held by Zachariah.
- Nuka-Punch recipe - In the room with Zachariah.
- SCAV! Issue #4 - Nuka Brahmin Stampede - On a wooden box in the attic, on the right hand side directly after entering the room.
- A mini nuke - In the attic, just behind the steamer trunk, inside a metallic cart.
- A Protectron model - In the basement, behind a Master-locked door in the kitchen. After entering the room, it stands on the right on a tool board.
There are several encounters with a female child (presumably the ghost of Lucy Grandchester) that can't be targeted in V.A.T.S. and has no name attached on crosshairs highlight. The female child can be tagged with recon scopes and appears with the name "Girl":
- Before entering for the house for first time, staring through a window to the top right above the entrance, second window from the right. If one flies up to that room, they'll see that the only door to that room is boarded up from the inside. The child never notices the Sole Survivor.
- When the Survivor enters the house for the first time, on the second story running to the left.
- In the hallway just after the seance room, running left into her own bedroom.
- Entering the attic spawns the same child who runs left. The child will run through a door on the back left wall shortly after spawning. If the Survivor opens the door, a loud, jarring sound will be heard and one will find a dead end.
- One may encounter a glitch where the girl runs past in the upstairs hall. It is possible to chase her through the kitchen to the "upside-down room", where she will stop. You can engage her with the "talk" option, but she will not reply, only stare with a creepy expression.
- It is possible to stagger or knock the "Girl" character down with gunshots, but doing so deals no damage and causes no notable reaction.
- On the terminal in Zachariah's room, he mentions in his last journal entry that he thinks one of his assaultrons is malfunctioning because he keeps inexplicably hearing a little girl's laughter.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- The Grandchester Mystery Mansion is most likely based on the Winchester Mystery House, due to its similarity in name and history with supposed hauntings, seances and strange architecture meant to confuse spirits, such as doors and stairs to nowhere, windows overlooking other rooms, etc. The external appearance of the house and entry sign are almost identical to those of the Winchester mansion.
- The Grandchester Mystery Mansion may also be based on the Lizzie Borden House located in Fall River, Massachusetts where a young woman named Lizzie Borden allegedly murdered her parents with an axe in 1892. She was later acquitted after a much publicized trial and the house today is considered one of the most haunted locations within the state. Some theories also claim the reason why Lizzie committed the murders was due to demonic possession.
- The style of narration is similar to that of the Ghost Host heard in the Disney Haunted Mansion attraction.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
[platforms tag needed] A glitch may also happen when you wander into the room with the fire traps and the door behind the Gunner Major Gutsy will be open and you cannot enter the room without the Grandchester Mansion key.[verification overdue]