It provides a Damage Resistance of 3. The primary benefit of wearing this mask is that it keeps feral ghouls friendly to the player and companions.
Although it is stated in-game by Roy Phillips that feral ghouls will attack despite the mask if you stay too close to them for too long, this is not true. You can stand next to them indefinitely, follow them around or even try to talk to them.
Despite the mask being considered headwear, it is counted as a piece of eyewear and not as "full" headwear like the hockey mask. As such, certain headwear can be worn with it. In addition, your helmet does not receive any durability damage while wearing this mask. However, the ghoul mask will take the damage instead and has fairly low item HP, and it will have to be repaired by a merchant.
- Feral ghouls will not set off mines set while the the player is wearing the mask. They will when turned hostile while wearing the mask and then removing it.
- Once the quest is complete, Three Dog will comment at the end of his news report on the quest that "you look like a complete freak show in that mask."
- If you are wearing the mask while escorting Doctor Li during the quest The Waters of Life, feral ghouls will still attack your escorts despite you wearing the mask. When they do attack, the escorts will simply run away; your companions will not attack the feral ghouls and they will still appear friendly to you regardless.
- Putting the mask on won't affect ghouls who are already hostile and aware of the player.
- The mask is not detailed enough to fool either non-feral ghouls, who will continue to refer to the Lone Wanderer as a smoothskin.
- While the player is wearing the mask, feral ghouls will be friendly to companions, even though they are not disguised.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Equipping the mask while it is broken will tell you that you cannot equip broken items. However, you permanently gain the effect of the mask, but if you unequip it you will be unable to equip it again until you repair it. [verified]
- pc xbox360 If you enter the tower after the Ghouls have taken over, but before speaking to Roy, and if any Feral Ghouls are killed, Roy will not give you the mask. [verified]