You've gotten a lot farther than you should have, but then you haven't met Frank Horrigan either. Your ride's over, mutie. Time to die.”
Described as a "genetically engineered cyborg psycho total homicidal maniac", and a kind of "ultra super mutant in power armor". Having been witnessed laughing off plasma rifle fire, and punching deathclaws and armored humans in half, he is one of the deadliest entities to have walked the Wasteland.
Horrigan was born in 2211. Originally a Secret Service Agent for Enclave President Dick Richardson, Horrigan was sent out with several other teams to search for slaves for use in excavating the remains of the Mariposa Military Base. In September of 2236, scientists unearthed the F.E.V. and mutations began to occur amongst those who come in contact with it, including Horrigan, who was quickly transported back to the Enclave for further research.
Sometime between 2236 and 2238, Frank Horrigan underwent his transformation into a super mutant. During this period, he was kept under heavy sedation and operated on by Enclave technicians and scientists under the directions of Dr. Charles Curling. Following testing in January of 2239, it was decided that Horrigan should be activated for field operations.
After a series of successful and bloody missions ending in March of 2239, the Enclave created a modified version of power armor specifically to encapsulate Horrigan's bulk. From this point forward, Frank was "married" to his suit. He couldn't be separated from it as it continually pumped him full of drugs, acting as a "life support".
Horrigan was eventually killed in 2242 by a tribal known as the Chosen One. Despite being literally torn in half at the waist, Horrigan was able to gather enough strength for some final words. Though he claimed to have activated the Enclave Oil Rig's self-destruct mechanism, this appears to have actually been a bluff. The reactor meltdown triggered by the Chosen One destroyed the oil rig and all traces of Frank Horrigan.
Horrigan is a mutant, but he had been a monster before his exposure to FEV in the military base, as he had many psychological problems. It's important to note that Horrigan never considered himself a mutant; only the scientists at the Enclave would have considered him one, but they mostly referred to him as an "experiment", and even then, not to his face. Most soldiers considered Horrigan a walking nuke, something the tech boys built, and they were not generally aware of his mutant status. Most did consider him a freak and there were few soldiers who wanted to accompany him on missions.
Horrigan's loyalty to the Presidency, the Enclave, and the armed forces was present before his exposure to FEV, and it was reinforced by Presidential Directive through various conditioning and testing programs developed by the Enclave. Horrigan's low Intelligence (which was further damaged by the FEV exposure) made these conditioning programs take root easily.
Standing more than 12 feet tall, Horrigan is significantly taller and bulkier than a standard super mutant. His FEV mutation was further augmented with controlled injections of an experimental modified version of FEV developed by the Enclave, resulting in Horrigan being a "next-gen" super mutant... stronger, faster, tougher, and just plain meaner. Additionally, a special suit of power armor was cybernetically grafted onto his body, transforming him into a walking death machine without peer. Cybernetic elements include bionic eyes, arm control mechanisms and leg rotators.
Although of generally low Intelligence, Horrigan noticeably lacks the simple-minded "moronic" mental deficiencies that commonly plague many super mutants such as Harry. For example, Horrigan speaks in complete sentences, using normal notation and vocabulary, and generally lacks any obvious signs of mental deficiency. Horrigan most likely mimics the speech and mannerisms of his Enclave creators and propaganda programs he heard.
Horrigan has 999 hit points, and is equipped with two unique weapons unobtainable by the player, the End Boss Gun and the End Boss Knife. He is also very fast, having a very high number of AP (being able to attack several times per round). If his weapons are disabled (either due to running out of ammo, or if his limbs are crippled by repeated aimed shots) Horrigan will attempt to punch and kick his enemies to death. Normally, he continually fires his gun until he runs out of ammo, at which point he changes for the knife.
Additionally, his armor grants him high resistance against small arms, explosions, laser and plasma bolts, but is somewhat vulnerable to electricity. Damage against Horrigan is capped at 192, no individual attack can damage him for more than 192 hp, although the turrets in the final battle room can critically hit him for much more than 192, even 417 in one instance.
Interactions with the player character
- Stop the Enclave: After somehow finding a way to destroy the Enclave Oil Rig, Horrigan will confront you and try to take you down. You cannot talk him out of fighting.
- With an inventory editor, you can acquire Horrigan's personal weapons (End Boss Plasma gun and End Boss knife).
- His armor is like a protective and defensive survival armor directly grafted to his body. It is part of the skin of Frank Horrigan (like super mutants armor of Fallout and Fallout 2) and is therefore not an item.
- The mutagenic serum cannot kill Horrigan as he isn't an average super mutant.
- Once defeated he will engage in dialogue with the player with assumingly no legs before dying.
- Some NPCs claim that the mutated toe is a one hit K.O. device for destroying Frank Horrigan, but it's only a joke.
- He is the only person with talking head that you can't impress, nor make him furious.
- If he is blinded, he switches from the plasma gun to his knife.
Frank Horrigan is the final boss and antagonist of Fallout 2, who also appears in a special encounter early in the game killing some defiant "peasants" and is also seen killing Brotherhood of Steel agent Matt in a cut scene in the San Francisco Brotherhood of Steel bunker if the player accesses the ACE computer terminal and clicks on the "What happened to Matt?" option. Analogously, another scene of Horrigan killing deathclaws could be seen in Vault 13 after the Enclave raids it a second time. He was a talking head voiced by Michael Dorn (who also voiced Marcus).
Behind the scenes
- He was named after Clint Eastwood's character in the film In the Line of Fire. Frank Horrigan from the movie was also a secret service agent whose task was to protect the US president.
- In his last words Horrigan uses the phrase Semper Fi. Semper Fi is short for Semper Fidelis which is Latin for "Always Faithful" and is the motto of the United States Marine Corps. Horrigan using this phrase also helps to show the link between the Enclave and the pre-War military, and to show that he has always done his duty for his country, no matter how he did it.