During World War II, France was occupied by Nazi Germany in 1940. By 1944, France was liberated. In our world, France owned a large colonial empire which was mostly lost before the close of the 20th century. Due to the divergence, the status of the empire remains a mystery.
Considering that the Vietnam War occurred, it is likely that the Republic might still have lost many of its colonial posessions.
Not much is known about the state of France before or after the Great War, however, there are references to France in the Fallout series.
- In Fallout 2, a French wine named the Chateau Lafayette was mentioned.
- In Fallout 2, the Golden Globes works on a film featuring a French exchange student. 
- In Fallout 3, Daniel Littlehorn is described as having a penchant for French Traditionalist painters.
- In Fallout 3, a French wine named the Chateau Montrose made in Bordeaux was mentioned, and was drank once by the US president as of 2077.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, phrases in the French language are used in areas throughout the game, such as "bon appetit" in the Ultra-Luxe, and a perk named "Cherchez La Femme".
- In Fallout: New Vegas, Caesar mentions the historic European region of Gaul, which included the entirety of modern France.
- In the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Dead Money, Dean Domino mentions that he used to perform in Paris.
- In Fallout Tactics, the Cheyenne Mountain facility offers a French language countdown. 
- In Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Dubois is of French descent.
- In the hypothetical Fallout: Resource Wars game, the main characters would have had to fight their way from Italy to the English Channel by land. To do so, they would have had to have entered France at some point, since the United Kingdom and France are the only basin countries of the channel.
- In Fallout 4, Curie's personality was partly modeled around that of Liza, a grad school fling of Kenneth Collins. She was from Versailles and moved to the United States before the Great War.
- Bordeaux (Mentioned in Fallout 3)
- Paris (Mentioned in Dead Money)
- Versailles (Mentioned in Fallout 4)
France is never directly mentioned in any Fallout game, however, the country is referenced in Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and its add-on Dead Money, Fallout 4, Fallout Tactics, and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.