| ||This forum page has been archived. Please do not make any further edits unless they are for maintenance purposes.|
It doesn't hurt to start to ask questions. I hate the new skin, and even if we decide to stick around there's always the possibility that something in the future might again force this question open - What would we do if Wikia decided to shut down, or made even worse changes down the line. Having a contingency plan (or at least an idea of what that plan could look like) can't hurt us.
I'm all for setting up some sort of spokesperson or committee to investigate the options out there and approach potential partners (Bethesda, NMA, DAC, et al). We can decide whether or not to go when we have all the facts at hand.
I don't begrudge Wikia making money, its a business after all, but there has to be a line; I think the upcoming changes loses the focus on encyclopaedia, and frankly look hideous.
Agent c 19:04, October 8, 2010 (UTC)
- Note, I'm not saying we should go/fork... Just ask a few questions. Knowledge is never a bad thing. Agent c 00:24, October 9, 2010 (UTC)
Secondly, if we do choose to leave at any point, this wiki will not be taken down, and if someone else decides to come and take over, then the new wiki would be completely screwed from the get-go.
Finally, I think that Agent c is right that we should have a contingency, and if we do decide to move, we should make the move very carefully planned, such as sabotaging the existing wiki. Yuri Kaslov
I don't think we should move either. I don't like the new skin, but as Yuri says, most stuff still works. Also, we're established here, and that counts for something. I think we can get the functionality back for the most part with the new Wikia look. --Kris 00:37, October 9, 2010 (UTC)
SimpsonsWiki has gone. It looks like at least one admin was banned. Agent c 16:32, October 9, 2010 (UTC)
We should download the data, delete every article, and in the new wiki, we shall call it the vault, and in the site description, we shall put "The Vault has moved from wikia, here to shoutwiki. Don't go to the one on Wikia, we have moved". Then users will come here instead. Tezzla Cannon 10:48, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- We 100% cannot move, because Ausir works for Wikia. He likes having a job, and him leaving over the skin wouldn't go over well.
- Or, I think so. I mean, we could always impeach him or something. :P Nitty Tok. 13:47, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Putting up a sign saying we've moved seems to meet the wikia definition of "Vandalism", Admins on the GTA wikia and Simpsons Wiki amongst others have been hit with this hammer. A Wikia Wiki is a bit like Hotel California - you can check out any time you like, but you can't ever leave. Agent c 00:40, October 12, 2010 (UTC)
Could someone give me an example of the new layout? I think I've seen it, but I can't be sure. It looks the same to me as the old one, so I don't see the issue. --Revolverman 10:58, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
He can still go to Wikia. Just because we move doesn't mean he can't go to Wikia still. Tezzla Cannon 16:19, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- But the Vault would still stay here, and it would still have Ausir, who's really what makes us better than that Neoseeker wiki that's copying us.
- I mean, me and Porter and Grizzly and peeps could pack up and leave, but it wouldn't be much fun without Ausir. We also couldn't just burn this version of the Vault in favour of a ShoutWiki or wherever Vault, because Ausir would prefer we keep it. Nitty Tok. 16:22, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
I know I am not a huge part of this wiki (or any anymore) I would like to give my two cents. Moving is a terrible idea. It's just a skin, every user can do basically the same things they always could. It makes no difference. Dolten Let's Talk 16:27, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- No, they can't. Modification to the site CSS is now illegal due to ToU edits, and the current skin is not just ugly, but is lacking many of the features that our current skin has. We're going to have a broken, ugly skin to use just days after Vegas comes out, and that is not acceptable. Nitty Tok. 18:39, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
Your last post just got blocked by my computer tezzla. What the hell was it?--Billytheboy 17:35, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
You press a button and funny thing happens. Tezzla Cannon 17:36, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
A picture of Darth Vader with the word "nooooo" above his head, and a blue button you can press to hear him say it. --Kris 18:10, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
Sounds BADASS!!! Damn trend micro! they take my money AND my vader.--Billytheboy 18:16, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
I'm with Dolten, i mean im not a big part of the wiki, but its just a skin. and for some reason, my skin hasn't changed. NukaBot 18:31, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
Thats cause the skin is CURRENTLY optional. I can't find a damn thing on it personally.--Billytheboy 18:32, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- That's right. If you have Monaco on now, you'll have it on until November 3rd, at which point Monaco will be pulled. Nitty Tok. 18:39, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
That's why on the 3rd, i'm leaving Wikia. I'm not making edits for Wikia to make money from. I hope Wikia is happy they've made a user leave. Tezzla Cannon 18:41, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- lets be fair here... They aren't hosting the Vault, and other Wiki's out of their good nature. They are a business that is expected to pay money, and have to cover the costs of our traffic somehow...Agent c 23:05, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
Very true; however, by alienating even 1% of their tremendous userbase, they lose money in ad revenue. I guarantee that more than 1% of Wikia users are leaving, fewer from the Vault than other places, but some wikis are packing up and heading out. --Kris 23:11, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, but they shouldn't force a highly popular wiki to change it's look when it is already covered with ads. they are getting their money off the vault. Why change the template and risk losing us. We should pick a day to not vist the vault and make it go hit-less to show them we mean business. --Billytheboy 23:09, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Even if everyone agreed to that, wouldn't Unregistereds still be able to visit and edit the wiki? Hal10k 01:49, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
Personally I think moving will be a bad idea (I know I’m not a big persona the vault but I’m a user so I’m going to say something). If we move it will not go over easy at all, and if people don’t want to leave and we keep this here then there will be a big split of where to go, which is more up to date and which is better. If we keep it up then it could make double work for everyone, I’m assuming that we are all fans and would hate it if there was something out there with wrong info or something that has nothing but vandals, so some people with have to check 2 vaults to keep everything in shape. A skin is nothing to move over and I feel that Agent c had a great idea on asking ?'S, that day thing would suck because when everyone comes back there will be a lot of clean up to do. There is nothing wrong with making cash off a wiki its how things even stay running, now I want to see what our bureaucrats have to say about this (it will be interesting)--MrDot01 02:16, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
Moving at the release of New Vegas? Uh oh, I sense confusion. A boatload of it. Audex+ 02:27, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
So, by moving, are we making a whole new website? If so, we'd have to pay (obviously) I'd rather not pay and have an awful looking wiki, than have a nice looking website and have to pay or be encouraged to pay. NukaBot 21:59, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
this should have a poll or something. --MrDot01 22:05, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
I found this comment on WoWWiki, from a Wikia staff member:
I popped on to IRC again today to talk to pcj, kd3 and others... but wanted to leave a message here too. I know that some of you are considering moving away from Wikia. It's always sad to see any wiki contributors move on, especially ones who have made this one of the finest wikis around. For those that stay on WoWWiki, I want to reassure you that this wiki will remain in place and available to you just as before.
Some updates on the skin. This is very much an ongoing process, and one of the key elements is studying the effect of the changes in practice. It's important for us to know that some of you think “image attribution sucks”, but it's also important for us to know that x-thousand people have clicked on the links and so viewed user pages and discovered that there is a community beyond the articles.
We’ll are having many discussions about how the changes are working, and we’re still generating ideas about issues brought up in the feedback. For example, we are considering the idea of space in the sidebar for an infobox and we’re talking about how to deal with extra-large images and tables. Also, we’ll be adjusting the text color logic to increase readability, reducing the size of the spotlights, and adding in a magic word for admins to use to exclude photos from the latest photos module.
The main thing I want you to know is that nothing is totally set in stone -- we have lots of tracking and analysis ahead of us. Some aspects may change in the next month, others over time. There are constant discussions about this and as we get more feedback and usage stats we’ll keep reviewing our decisions.
If you have any questions or concerns, I’ll be on IRC later today. Or you can leave a message here or on my talk page of course. Thanks for reading -- Sannse (help forum
--Kris 22:20, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Pah. Over time isn't fast enough. I hope WoWWiki leaves, that'll teach Wikia. Nitty Tok. 22:24, October 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Very true. At least they're kind of listening...
- But it doesn't really cut it. The Wikia community has spoken, and Wikia hasn't really been what we would call "Cooperative". November Third will be the day that a ton of wiki's are leaving.Audex+ 01:40, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
"Ship Now, Fix later" simply isn't acceptable here. Wikia talk about nothing being set in stone, but that's crap - the dates seem to be! Wikia apparently have a "To-Do" list as long as Marcus' Arm, but they're not going to delay the skin until its fixed. Agent c 23:17, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
Just a word of warning for anyone left thinking of Forking (Given that, in the word of the Cybermen, Resistance is useless I'd be suprised if there's anyone seriously left thinking of this)- Getting Wikia's help to get the images from the wiki simply won't happen. After stalling for some time with the WoWWiki folk, Wikia have decided they can't do an image dump on that wiki out of fear of the DMCA. Given that the images here will likely have the same problem, you'll need to sort out an alternative solution. I'm also thinking that perhaps the dumps of game files (Speech files) would likely have the same concerns you might have to also find your own way to get other files on the Wiki. Agent c 23:50, October 16, 2010 (UTC)
What if we just engaged in some sort of protest, like deliberately making the skin look even worse? Hal10k 02:06, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
- That would be futile and counterproductive. --Kris 02:48, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
- ...I guess. Suggestion withdrawn. Hal10k 03:35, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
Perhaps, we can start a petition to the masters of wikipedia or whoever the hell controls them Deathclawpoop 03:01, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
It's stupid considering this. This is our home, we can't be forced out. It's just a skin by the way, clam your jets before you burn up too much of your fuel. Nukey (talk) 03:03, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
this is the vault. you were born in the vault and you will die in the vault--MrDot01 03:12, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
Personally I don't care how many ads they throw up. I won't ever know they're there. <3 Ad Block Plus. The rest of the new skin is atrocious, though, and I do agree something needs to change with Wikia's plans. Even without the ads I can't easily navigate it. Plus, I miss my old color scheme, it was way easier on my eyes and my CRT. TestECull
- Well, you cannot assume everyone has an AdBlocker extension for their browser and uses a CRT monitor at the same time. -- ryzawy (talk) 12:11, February 14, 2011 (UTC)
1st. Nice one MrDot01. 2nd I like wikia because it's safe and secure. A year ago, I tried to read an article on an older Vault, got 25 viruses. Twice. I've used this wiki alot since it moved and I saw my friend use it. Please keep it here if for the sake of people annoyed with getting a swap from an IT guy for looking up Dogmeat. 22.214.171.124 19:46, February 12, 2011 (UTC)
Personally I dislike Wikia's policy regarding the forced "updates", but I think this is the best place for The Vault right now.
About the move of WoWWiki: They had luck that the guys of curse.com welcomed them with open arms. If you take a look at Wikia's WoWWiki right now, you'll see it's like, dead. Plus, they are looking for a new administrator. Sadly, Wikia doesn't seem to care if one of the biggest Wikis and its contributors are leaving. -- ryzawy (talk) 12:11, February 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Please note that this discussion dates back to October - somebody necro'ed the thread. We're not moving in the foreseeable future. On a side note, finding a new host wouldn't really be a problem for us either ;) -- Porter21 (talk) 12:24, February 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, just wanted to share my two cents, not that they're important anyway ;). I figured that The Vault isn't moving after this time span, but the general Wikia policy disturbs me from time to time, so this thread came in useful to unleash my rampant wrath. Rest for now you bad, BAD thread. -- ryzawy (talk) 13:35, February 14, 2011 (UTC)