No idea whether this is well-knwon, but being confined to my own house due to a leg injury, i decided to screw around with the ddraw file added by the F2 restoration mod (To do this, Download the R-Mod NOW). And discovered how to play as... whatever you want, really. The steps are:
1. Download the aforementioned restoration mod
2. Go to the Fallout 2 section in Program/Program Files (Or wherever ddraw is stored)
3. Load up ddraw.
4. Go to "art"
5. Go to "critters"
6. Open up the "critters" document in notepad/word/whatever
7. In ddraw, scroll down until you find somehting referencing Character models.
8. Browse the Critters document and find whatever model you want.
NOTICE - Certain models (Such as Frank Horrigan) can't use certain weapons. For example, Frank cannot use Small guns, or smaller Energy weapons, as he is not programmed with a weapon model for them, but can use Big Guns and larger Energy Weapons and most melee weapons.
Here are some random models i enjoy using, post your own here as well!
malieu - Lou-Tenant from F1
maboss - Frank Horrigan
mabos2 - Frank Horrigan's upper half (Unable to move)
mamtnt - Generic Mutant
mamtn2 - Mutant in black
And for Grizzly, maglow, for a glowing one.
Also, mwclaw or maclw2 for a Deathclaw/Baby Deathclaw (Respectively)
</SOME MAY NOT BE ENTIRELY ACCURATE AND MAY NEED THE na PREFIX INSTEAD OF THE ma ONE'>
Mmm, Crispy... 17:12, February 21, 2010 (UTC)