Hello ladies and gentlemen, I am The Old World Relics and I type before you today/tonight to ask for community support in adding the tools of a Chat Moderator to my account, therefore becoming a Full Moderator.
Who Am I?
Well, my real name is Nathan Gregory, I'm 14 years old (a surprise to most of you) and I live in Ontario Canada, but I'm sure that's not what you really care about. I joined the wiki on January 7th, 2012 (as can be seen here) but became editorially active on February 19, 2012. On June 5, 2012, I was given the great honour of becoming a Patroller (as seen here) of this great site. Ever since then I could always be found stalking the recent changes and enjoying a good time with many in chat.
What have I done for the site?
Now, I personally believe that there are two very important sides to this site. This is the editorial side, and community side. I was list my contributions by these two categories. Also follows is my current edit count.
|Type of edits||Edit count|
|Fallout Wiki talk||10|
|User blog comment||298|
Now I understand that the minimal requirements for Full Moderator are 500 article edits. I also see that I do make that requirement, but just barley, and I know this will be an issue for some of you. But a few things must be taken into account I believe. First off, I joined the site January 7th, 2012. This is almost 4 months after the last piece of DLC was released for Fallout New Vegas leaving very little in the way of more to be done. Yet in that time I have indeed found many things to edit and I promise, I will continue to edit many many more things in the future.
Edit Wise Contributions
- Formed the Fallout_Wiki:Fallout_3_and_New_Vegas_icon_addition_project. Completed it quickly with help from other editors.
- Contributed to the Fallout_Wiki:Walkthrough_Chart_Project:_New_Vegas. Completed quickly with help from other editors.
- Am currently contributing to the Fallout_Wiki:Walkthrough_Chart_Project:_Fallout_3. Work continues and is almost done. When this is complete I plan to help with any and all future chart projects.
- Contributed to the Fallout_Wiki:Fallout_3_and_Fallout:_New_Vegas_notable_loot_project. Work has stalled, but I plan to continue soon.
- Created sadly only a single article: Vault-Tec_Bobblehead_(Rage)
- Various "Personal Projects" including but not limited to:
- Ensure that all pages included in the Category:Infobox_incomplete, Category:Section_needed and Category:Stub categories are in the most specific games sections.
- Continuously adding Category:Platforms_needed tags to bugs sections lacking game tags.
- Uploaded roughly 30 pictures to the original Fallout related pages that came when I download the game.
- Went through all the Fallout_Tactics_weapons and ensured they all contained the Games template and the Fallout Tactics template.
- And of course, I can always be found patrolling the recent changes, reverting both vandals and edits that just don't belong in the article namespace.
Community Wise Contributions
- I can be found in chat many hours of the day ranging from 3pm to 11pm EST weekdays, and all day on weekends and holidays off of school.
- Contributed to The Divide.
- Will ensure my voice is heard on any and all forums or policy related texts.
- Contributed to The Weekly Saturday Polls with both a userbox, and a suggestion.
- For the 15th anniversary of Fallout on the 30th of September, I plan to organize a mass publication of FanFic to honour this event. (If you have any Fan-Fiction you want included,, feel free to leave me a note on my talkpage)
- Completed in the contest Fallout: The Apprentice
The "Too many Mods Argument"
Now, I know there are those of you in the community that think we have "enough" Chat Moderators as it is. I completely think this to be an unfair argument. If a user is late to the game, even though he has the qualifications necessary, you will deny them the role because they came later on? This just seems unjust to me. I have to say Gunny recently on another Moderator request put it in the best perspective I could possibly say, and I quote:
As per examples of when there are no Mods on, as I was drafting this earlier today, I noticed for a fair share of time there was no Mods on. This also happens to be the case going on later in the night, turning on earlier into the morning. If I had to say times, I would say the times there happens to be some7 laps of mods would be 5am to 11am EST and 11pm to 2-2:30am EST.
- I'd ask that you all take these points into account when you cast your votes.
- ~ Toci ~ Go ahead, make my day. 22:08, September 24, 2012 (UTC) I don't need to see any further qualifications. I know you; I know your attitude; I know how you handle and present yourself; I know what a great moderator you will make. Definite yes from me.
- Agent c (talk) 22:11, September 24, 2012 (UTC) your maturity exceeds your years, and you can clearly be trusted with these tools.
- Some Assembly Required! I most certainly approve of this. You're active, diligent, and responsible. Your actions here have shown that you are ready and deserving of this position. Keep up the great work around here!
You have the abilities and the requirements. To vote no would be wrong.-- A Safe People is a Strong People! 22:22, September 24, 2012 (UTC)
- CC 22:37, September 24, 2012 (UTC) You edit so often, and you always seem to be in chat. You never break the rules and constantly strive to be better at what you do. Definite yes from me. -
- wat (talk) 22:45, September 24, 2012 (UTC) I've seen you working a lot, Towel. Keep up the great work. --
- "Hail to the Pigeon!" 23:08, September 24, 2012 (UTC) Vice President Relics, you are the most qualified that can run for this position that I know of. YES!
- C'n-Frankie -ArroyoTalk 23:52, September 24, 2012 (UTC) Great user, and always nice towards people (the latter an important quality for a mod). I have full trust in OWR's responsibility, and I give him my "yes". --
- Topple101 (talk) 00:28, September 25, 2012 (UTC) Exactly what Agent c said. You are very mature and work hard.
- Energy X ∞ 13:13, September 25, 2012 (UTC) You have proven your way to me to vote yes.
- 13:16, September 25, 2012 (UTC) You've become an excellent user. Just 14 too? Wow, too bad there aren't more younger ones like you. But yes, I was sort of waiting for this, you've done great work.--
- Paladin117>>iff bored; 13:52, September 25, 2012 (UTC) I don't know how you are in chat, but you make good edits and you're active. I won't stop grumbling for a while, but you got my vote.
- "Respect and Honor" 22:22, September 25, 2012 (UTC) Looks like you don't need my yes, but I'm putting here anyway. I believe that you know what you're doing, and I can't wait to see what you do with your extra tools. : ) --
- 09:27, September 26, 2012 (UTC) Would be a very fair, helpful, and welcome addition to the position in my opinion.--
- Hawk da Barber 2012 - BSHU Graduate 15:32, September 30, 2012 (UTC) First off, I would like to say that you're an amazing person to be around. Your maturity far surpasses your age and it shows. On the other hand, others are right when it comes to your lack of getting involved with diffusing situations in chat and among other things. You shy away until it blows over instead of helping out. There have been exceptions when you have helped but it is shadowed over the fact you barely do. As others have said, being able to diffuse situations is a huge part of being a Moderator, and at this moment I don't see that in you at this moment, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I know you can and will step up after this request and be able to be one of the finest Mods here given the chance. Your time slot is a bit questionable. Those who have said we don't need mods in your time slot aren't around really around that time, and while there is a few mods already in that time slot, it's still shaky as it is going into late at night and we can't be there at times everyday. For the most part you are there when there might be a mod on that is away and isn't keep an eye on the chat, and looking at the users that are normally there, you're the one that instantly comes to mind when I think about who is trustworthy for a job like this. All in all, you got my vote bro, don't let me down.
- Charcoal121 (talk) 05:13, October 1, 2012 (UTC) From what I've seen, you're someone who is worthy of the position in question.
- Talk 22:00, September 25, 2012 (UTC) I see this request are only really a request for chat mod rights, as your edits have already been approved, and they have already bore fruit, so to speak in the form of the Patroller badge. A large part of being a mod is engaging with important discussions when they arise, as well as generally being active. While I am aware that I am not in chat for as long as before, when you are on, the time you are on for is usually rather short. Furthermore, your usual reaction to discussions relating to edits is to say "Uh oh mod talk..." and slink off into the shadows. Learning the tools of the trade involves a form of engagement, actively partaking in discussions of importance, and attempting to weigh in on disputes between people, this is something that anyone can do regardless of what they have next to their name, and by doing so, you show to others that you can actively improve the life of those in chat and make sure their chat experience is the best and most comfortable. By fading back into the background when a dispute arises, it doesn't particularly say to me that you A) know how to handle the situation, or at least know how to attempt it, and B) that perhaps, you can not handle intense matters and issues of large importance. Is this perhaps a large assumption to make? Maybe so, but I am going by what I have seen, and using this as my evidence and reasoning. For the record, I have nothing against OWR as a person, but is simply being nice enough to earn extra rights? Couple this with everything else I have said, and I have come to the conclusion that you are not ready for this position, and that you would be able to use the tools to the fullest of your ability when you lack the skills needed to actually use them successfully. --
- Skire (talk) 22:06, September 25, 2012 (UTC) I really hope you do not take this personally, as I believe you to be an extremely polite, mature (especially for your age), and calm user. But what has precedence is the matter that there is absolutely no current need for another chat moderator, especially during the times when you are actually in the chat. It is quite apparent that we already have an immense number of mods/admins in chat consistently. Furthermore, I am not pleased with your counter-argument regarding the number of chat mods, considering it is directly stated in policy that all user rights are to be given out on a per-need basis. In addition to all this, I do not see you actively trying diffuse situations in chat, or assist in the process of it, nor do I see a certain assertive attitude that is key for such a position. You seem to avoid tension, rather than deal with it, and sometimes even leave chat when things heat up. Without the experience, I'm afraid you are not qualified in my eyes for this position. As a side note, I also noticed you did not take part at all in the recent chat rule amendments discussion/vote. --
- Gothic NekoNeko's Haunt 00:04, September 26, 2012 (UTC) This vote of mine took some serious thought, you are, by all means, a very welcome addition to the chat and to the community, I couldn't even recall I time I've seen you being warned for chat rule offences. The issue I find is that, for the times you are typically online in chat, we have several staff members moderating already. The hours that there are rare if no staff (hours of 6AM (BST) till 2PM (BST)) are ones which I would personally like to see moderated, but, having watched these times before, I don't see you during these times so I see no reason why you need the rights unless we were to add more Moderation to our cosmic soup. I do grow weary though of the age old counter-argument "the user deserves the rights", if we gave rights to every user who met standard requirements based on whether or not they are deserving it would summarily change the status quo from an average user having edit and reversion rights to an average user having edit, reversion and any rights above their station as more become "deserving". This is not to say you're not deserving, far from it, but we simply do not have a need of your abilities at this moment in time.
- A Safe People is a Strong People! 16:36, September 26, 2012 (UTC) After talking with some members, I've decided that just because I like you and the fact that you meet the requirements, does not mean you should have powers you can't use, since you are rarely on chat when we need mods. This is very important to consider, everyone, that you are not deserving just because you qualify.--
- Apocalypse Now! 04:11, September 27, 2012 (UTC) This request does two things; it gets you chat mod rights, and moves you closer to becoming and administrator. In terms of chat mod rights, you are not in chat enough to warrant them. Moderators (and administrators, current or potential) need to show a balance of leadership in both chat and editing matters, regardless of whether or not the powers have already been extended to you or not. As I (and other users) have not seen the chat mod aspect from you, my vote at this moment is a no. Should you be given these rights, you will need to work on your chat activity and moderation before any consideration is made for further leadership positions.
- Limmiegirl Talk! ♪ 00:49, September 30, 2012 (UTC) By your own words, a full moderator is not just a chat moderator with patroller rights, a mod shows involvement with the community as a bridge to adminship. And like others previously pointed, you actively shy away from such issues. In this request you are asking people to ignore what you called "the too many argument", even though our policy clearly states special rights are to be handed on a per-need basis, which means you are telling people to ignore our policies - that right there is a big red flag for somebody who's going to be tasked with enforcing them. You timeslot is not in need for moderation, and even if it were, I've never seem you take initiative to defuse or mediate issues as they arise in chat. So even if there were need, you've done nothing to prove yourself as the most qualified to do so.
- CharlesLeCheck 06:34, September 30, 2012 (UTC) Before writing my piece here I took a long and hard read over the votes on both sides of the fence. The yes votes seem to all around ya being a nice fella, mature and friendly. Basically, they focus on ya as a person. And those are all very good and important qualities to have. Then moving on to the other side, folks wrote about how yer not ready for mod duty, how you shirk from involvement and don't jump in to help out. And them are all qualities that are essential to be a good mod. And maybe I ain't being proper assuming other folks motives, but they rub me as if they're all basically saying they like you and trust you. But being a good mod doesn't mean being nice and likeable, in fact it's more often then not the opposite. Ya gotta have the initiative to jump in and fierceness to take control of the situation before folks all lose it. Seems like ya don't have it yet, buddy. But I sure as heck hope ya try again when do.
- —Preceding unsigned comment added by Corniolio (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~! I'm really sorry but I've seem what can come out of people being chosen because they're popular. People should moderate only if they're qualified and have the right prerequisites for the task, not because people like them... I'm sorry. 16:13, September 30, 2012 (UTC)
- Plankster (talk) 19:54, September 30, 2012 (UTC) ^What they said. Being liked and being a badass is not the same thing. And to be leader, you gotta be a bad ass. Plank on!
- 03:54, October 1, 2012 (UTC) This one was tough. I think you deserve it, but policy states user rights are to be given out on a per-need basis. As far as I can tell from the evidence, another moderator is not needed. You meet the qualifications and you're a great patroller, but I don't see how giving you rights that aren't needed is beneficial to anyone. Nothing personal.
- Might I Say You're Looking Fit As a Fiddle! 04:01, October 1, 2012 (UTC) Let me get this out of the way: I believe you are clearly fit for the job. However, I see no need for another mod. And I know you say it is unfair, but 'first come first serve' is fair. There is no need for another mod in the time slot you plan to be active in, as far as I can see. As SaSF said, who does this benefit really?
- Emiko~<3 (talk) 04:38, October 1, 2012 (UTC) I do have to agree with quite a few other votes I've seen, and its seeming to be said a few times over and over so I wont go into great detail over them. Though you are, from what I see, qualified for a moderator position, it dosent see you really want a moderator position, as when ever the more serious matters come into play you like to slip away and go silent, and to go along with that, I don't really think we need any more moderators right now, we have quite a few in at one time as is, and the others have said, why would it be needed if it wouldn't benefit us as much as chancing hurting us. I don't intend any hard feelings, i just think it isn't a good time to ask for such a position.--
- Slinny (talk) 15:01, October 1, 2012 (UTC) I have been on chat during the time you plan to be on and there are already plenty of moderators, so I don't think the is need for another mod. If there's no need then why make another mod?
- "Say 'ello to my little friend!" You've grown in your time here, but I don't think you're ready just yet. Dragon and Sigma boils it down more than well enough. Hugs
- JASPER//"Do you like hurting other people?" 15:31, October 1, 2012 (UTC) okay, so I'm probably not the best person to ask because I dont know you all that well, but I do know chat mods and, personally, both by reading the comments and seeing you in chat I think there's still a tiny bit of growing to be done. I like you as a user, and when you do become a chat mod I think yeah, you will make a good one, but not yet. Sorry.
Comments, Concerns, Suggestions
Hi OWR... I see you've included Gunny's argument, however I would suggest you also include the timeslots you're normally on, and any recent examples of a mod being needed but not present whilst you were on - can help bolster your case. Agent c (talk) 21:58, September 24, 2012 (UTC)
- Hey Chad, thanks for that! I did happen to include my available times in the community section. And I'll jump right onto adding the examples.-- "This is my road, you'll walk it as I say" 22:00, September 24, 2012 (UTC)
- Sure thing X. Probably should of included that in the proposal. Well, honestly it came down to the facts that I honestly care a great deal about this site, I want to see it reach new heights like never before, and help in anyways possible. This proposal in my opinion helps me, help the site in short.-- "This is my road, you'll walk it as I say" 19:01, September 25, 2012 (UTC)
- As my comment should state, I've actually started to believe that we don't need members with rights if it's not needed. You are an example of this. What difference will you make? The chat is constantly being monitored, especially around the times you come in.-- A Safe People is a Strong People! 16:41, September 26, 2012 (UTC)
- You are all well and fine to have that opinion, but that's akin to saying, "What difference does one with authority make when others around him have that authority". Which applies to all of the mods and admins that work together, as a part of a whole, one can make a lot of difference.-- 06:41, September 30, 2012 (UTC)
As tomorrow is the closing day of the vote, I'd like to say a few things before the vote closes and I forget. First, I'd like to say thank you to all the users who have show support in me. It truly means something that you all believe I can be found capable to fulfill this task. I greatly appreciate it. An to all the users who have voted against myself. I'd like to thank you all for raising some extremely valid points, that I now will strive to correct. Overall, thank you to everybody for expressing either their support, or opposition of my request. Yours Always;-- "This is my road, you'll walk it as I say" 00:27, October 1, 2012 (UTC)
Judging from the results of the poll this election was a controversial one. People for and against it. Unfortunately, a discussion between the bc has led us to conclude that there is not currently a need for more moderators and now is not quite the time for another moderator. We are sorry but we do encourage you to reappy again at a later date. The soonest you can reapply is 3 months from now.--Kingclyde (talk) 23:57, October 1, 2012 (UTC)