This is a spinoff of the weapon demonstration videos thread.
I know a lot of us are skeptical of the increased use of videos on the wiki, and I think we are right to be so. However I think we also need to accept that Wikia is likely to make the "related videos" rail mandatory, and time goes on integrating video into text articles is going to become more and more the norm.
I think we need to set a video policy that recognises this . I have a suggestion as to how it would work, and in practice I think the net result would be little to no change to what we have now. However this would allow us to add video where it seems necessary (and improves the article), additionally would give us a policy that fairly manages the "related videos" section in a open an transparent way.
This ensures we have "control" of the situation as and when Related Videos comes along
Nukapedia is committed to being the ultimate Fallout encyclopaedia. In support of this aim Nukapedia's article policies and style guides are designed to give Nukapedia a professional look and feel; it is essential that all videos added to the wiki also meet the same standard.
Before adding a video to a mainspace article or the related videos system:
- You should identify a true need for the video, and be able to articulate exactly how adding any given video will improve the article.
- You should ensure that the video meets the normal guidelines for content on Nukapedia. This specifically excludes (but is not limited to) the presence of strategy videos.
All videos must meet the following requirements before being added to a mainspace article or the related videos system:
- All videos are required to be vetted by a Moderator, Administrator, or Bureaucrat. Editors with these positions are advised to confirm with another Moderator, Administrator or Bureaucrat before adding.
- The visuals must be clear, and of a high quality.
- The video should not contain any user added sound, and should contain only gameplay sounds. This includes backing music and commentaries. In game music should be disabled.
- The video should not contain any fan made "vanity card". A short Nukapedia logo (1 second) at the start is acceptable and encouraged.
- No text overlays, or links should obscure the video at any time.
- The video should acknowledge the owners of the game's intellectual rights (copyrights and trademarks).
- All videos should be added to the Nukapedia YouTube channel.
Guidelines for vetters:
- Videos should only be added where they clearly improve an article, ideally where text and pictures alone are insufficient.
- Having no video at all is better than having a bad video. If the need for a video is obvious, but the video of poor quality or otherwise does not meet guidelines, it should not be included.
- Videos should be added only sparingly, and should not overtake the article itself.
- Some examples of where video content improves the article include official trailers, intro movies and ending slides.
Blog and Userspace:
- Videos outside of the mainspace do not require vetting, however they must at all times conform to the same guidelines as per any other content in the blog or mainspace area, including the user conduct guidelines.
- Video use on any page should not be excessive. This will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- We don't. The vault does, and the front page still links to it. I will be setting up one in the coming weeks as a part of a social media relaunch for Nukapedia, done around the 15 year anniversary. Its going to be a bit of a rump page to start, but hopefully we'll eventually get something different on there. Agent c (talk) 20:05, July 24, 2012 (UTC)