Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| ||This forum page has been archived. Please do not make any further edits unless they are for maintenance purposes.|
Dear Vault Dwellers, both anonymous and registered,
The Vault has been around as the best source of information about the Fallout series for more than six years, originally at Duck and Cover, and then at Wikia. We, The Vault bureaucrats, have now decided to open a new chapter in its history and again move the wiki, which will now be hosted by Curse at FalloutWiki.com. Some of you might have heard about my new job as Curse's Lead Wiki Manager, but it was just one of many factors that influenced the decision to move. While we have enjoyed our relationship with Wikia in the past, given the direction Wikia has been taking lately, we feel that it is no longer the direction we want. The wiki now has more space for content (with 807 compared to Wikia's 660px width), and the move gives us more freedom to decide how the wiki is run. We will be able to create a more user-oriented environment, with fewer advertisements, new forums and a host of other, exciting new features (coming soon).
All of your user pages, user rights, forum posts, talk page entries and, of course, articles and media files have already been transferred to the new server and the site is fully functional. The transition is still a work in progress and we, The Vault's bureaucrats and administrators, as well as Curse staff, are still working hard on some of the functionality. All users who contributed to The Vault with their Wikia accounts can reclaim their usernames using this account migration tool. We are confident that The Vault, now at its new address, will remain the prime source of information about Fallout game, especially once the next game in the series is released.
Wikia will continue to host a copy of all of the wiki's content (up to this date), and any users are, of course, free to go with us to the new location or to stay at Wikia. As the people who created The Vault, including its name and logo, at Duck and Cover before we brought it to Wikia, we now intend to keep it, and we expect Wikia to respect our rights to these marks and to rename their copy of the content to just "Fallout Wiki" or anything else they wish to name their site.
All things considered, we thank Wikia for their years of providing hosting for The Vault. We bear no ill will towards you, and part on good terms. All of Wikia staff members and users will always be welcome at The Vault. We hope that the same will be true for any Vault users and staff members that may have responsibilites on other Wikia wikis. Thank you and farewell.
Why moving the wikia at all? Is something missing on this one and the other one has? 220.127.116.11 19:27, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
Also, what about those who are banned? 18.104.22.168 19:36, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
And, finally, I sure don't want badges. They make an ordinary contributor become an achivement booster. 22.214.171.124 19:43, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Badges are a wiki extension developed by Wikia and will not be on the new Vault, at least for now. In the future, if there is demand for it, we might develop an alternative. Ausir(talk) 19:46, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Maybe you should make a poll about deciding if the new Vault will or Won't have those badges. But it is not my decision. 126.96.36.199 19:48, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
I only think of new questions! What about Fallout Answers wiki? 188.8.131.52 19:50, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
- For now, the Answers wiki will remain at Wikia, but will still be our sister site. We'll be working on transferring the other sister sites and language versions to the new host too, if the individual communities support it. Ausir(talk) 19:52, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
- i'm responding to this because I object when people believe they can speak for me - it does not treat me with respect. Ausir has not betrayed me; nor do I believe Ausir has betrayed any regular user of this wiki - people who collect a pay check from Wikia can feel betrayed; I think Ausir has made the move that he feels is right for the vault; namely correcting the erosion of control of the wiki's appearance and functionality from its admin team. Whether or not it is right; or you feel its right is another question - as the vorlons say the truth is a three edged sword.
- I also object when people try to claim legitimacy for their own personal opinion by claiming support of some "majority" when there is no evidence of their existence - I note that at my last viewing the poll to temporarily change the name of this wiki away from "The Vault" is currently lying unopposed with the only objection (since withdrawn) coming from a Wikia staff member.
- If flipping between wikis with the same username is of such importance to you then you can reclaim your old username at the new wiki - although I don't see how this is a big deal warranting such a response.
- As for personal gain if you look at this threads mirror on the new wiki you'll see that Ausir's actions appear to be out of concern with the direction that the Wikia system is moving - given the lack of support for Oasis here and at other wikis I think this is justified concern.
- Lastly I want to stress that I am not a part of some Admin cabal - I am just a regular user who mostly uses it for research for answering lore questions on the Bethesda Forum; my only one on one contact with Ausir that I can recall was about correcting a credit for a file hosted on NMA (I was incorrectly listed as Author for the Fallout PnP Enclave sourcebook - I am however in the interest of full disclosure correctly listed as Author for the Vault City soucebook that even I now consider terrible). Agent c 23:24, November 27, 2011 (UTC)
- In hindsight, the last half was basically a rant, and the first half seemed rather cras. As such, I have removed it. I would also like to say that I was merely trying to put into words the level of tense unease that has been created; however, I'm sure that he already knows of this, so I will back down. Grammarlad(talk) 08:13, November 28, 2011 (UTC)