I was secretly thinking about leveling my character to level 8 before I left Goodsprings. Normally this is only possible by using the Run Goodsprings Run exploit, but I think it messes up the game. Furthermore, I don't want the good folks at Goodsprings to hate me. That is why I am looking for another way, and found one.
Every three in-game days, three geckos spawn at the Goodsprings source. The problem is that killing them yields only 15xp in total. To reach level eight, I would need (all other obtainable xp in Goodsprings known by me subtracted) 4000xp. Because I play on hardcore, every run takes about 4 minutes. That means I would have to hunt geckos for about 15 hours. Obviously, I don't think that'll be much fun, so:
How can I temporarily turn off Hardcore mode and still get the achievement? (this would reduce the gecko-hunting time to 'just' 6 hours)
Are there any repeatable faster ways of gaining xp in the tutorial area in Goodsprings?
You have to stick with Hardcore the entire game or no achivements. Also, that is it, the Goodsprings glitch should work (you coulduse Swift Learner perk and have Well Rested status). Otherwise, not possible. Energy X ∞ 18:15, August 1, 2012 (UTC)
OK, guess I'll be off hunting geckos then. Didn't think about Well rested, but I slept for three days between hunts, so I got it anyway all the time. Are you sure nothing else in Goodsprings respawns? ---- Galileo Galilei (talk) 20:58, August 1, 2012 (UTC)
Or... Maybe not. If you earn experience points, then load an older save right before they register, you will get the points in the older save. An easy way to do this is to kill multiple enemies that deal XP independently and load in between the separate XP gains. Don't know if it is ethically correct to use this, I will at least consider it. ---- Galileo Galilei (talk) 21:06, August 1, 2012 (UTC)
Indeed! They are in front of Goodsprings Cave, just outside the tutorial area. But I can shoot them and they do respawn so that's 10XP more every run, thanks ;) Too bad Goodsprings settelers don't respawn :/---- Galileo Galilei (talk) 07:07, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
I'm not gonna cruise this thread for everything that's been said before, but here's some ways you might not have thought of:
- Play Ringo for 30 wins at caravan, plus 5 losses.
- Drink 25 assorted alcoholic beverages or use chems 25 times. Repeat for additional XP. Logan's Loophole would be useful here.
- Hack computers first for the XP, then pick the locks.
- Coyotes respawn at Goodsprings Cave. You can walk just far enough out to discover Goodsprings Cave but you can't go any further without triggering the build edit option.
- Repair 30 items.
- Break down 100 rounds of ammo (pretty much the easiest way) or craft 100 items.
- Kill Barton Thorn and Malcolm Holmes.
- Kill any Powder Gangers that may wander into the Goodsprings Source area.
- Respawning bark scorpion at the path to the cemetery.
- Possible that scorpions may wander into the area near the cemetery OR that you could shoot the ones that are in the valley beyond the Yangtze Memorial without leaving the cemetery area.
- Destroy Victor (basically affects nothing in the game fwiw). Also, if you talk to him after Ghost Town Gunfight, there is a science based speech challenge with him if you previously asked him to defend the town.
- Fully complete Ghost Town Gunfight with all speech challenges.
- Speech challenge with Joe Cobb.
- 2 speech challenges with Doc Mitchell before you leave his house after character creation. You must reinitiate dialogue after he gives you your Pip Boy and other items.
- Repair Trudy's radio and speech challenge her for more caps.
- Pick pockets 50 times (attempt to pull one round of ammo each time or something like that... you could even place items in NPC inventories and take them back if you wish).
- Use 25 doctor bags.
- Cripple 5 right arms (or equivalent) with shotguns (GRA required).
- Kill 50 animals (geckos/coyotes)... this will give you a boost to what is already sure to be some pretty lame grinding that you'd be doing anyway.
- Get 25 explosives kills (dynamite/mercenary's grenade rifle).
- Kill 25 enemies with thrown weapons (see above or use throwing spears from Courier's Stash, throwing knives and hatchets sold by Chet).
- Stealth kill any Goodsprings-aligned NPCs (and bighorners) you don't think you'll need around in the future.
You could potentially do most of the damage/kill challenges, healing challenges, plus others like Knocked Up or Camel of the Mojave, Free Radical, etc., but that would require a massive investment of time waiting for vendors to restock and animals to respawn.
There are no beds that offer the Well Rested bonus in Goodsprings. Also, if you select Swift Learner and then don't take it again when you leave the tutorial area, say bye bye to the bonus and all the XP you gained by taking it. Using the Run Goodsprings Run exploit method will not alter your Goodsprings rep in and of itself. The rewards of re-specing your character at level 8 the non-cheaty way are 2, possibly 3 low-level perks, and maybe a second bonus from the Skilled Trait if you selected it at creation and when you leave the area, so that's not really a massive payoff for doing all this imho... Re-specing your build for extra perks is an exploit itself, so why not just go the easy route? --DeadlyPrey(talk) 17:12, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
- e2a: I don't know why you'd have to turn hardcore off. It takes exactly as long to wait in hardcore as it does otherwise. Free water at Goodsprings Source and free gecko meat for food... only thing that would make it take any longer is that you'd occasionally have to sleep.--DeadlyPrey(talk) 17:16, August 6, 2012 (UTC)