I am a former Unites States Marine and current Operations Manager with extensive leadership and management training. I have had the great fortune and pleasure of leading many fine men and women, both in the military and as a manager, almost my entire adult life. I was also afforded the opportunity to learn at a very young age the lesson that leadership does not derive from one's position or status, but from one's own ability to master proper leadership skills. I have learned this the hard way, as I, like many other enthusiastic young men and women, thought that the stripes on my collar or the badge of my position made me a leader and believed that my subordinates should enact my orders with dispatch and without question. I was wrong. I learned that leadership came from upright character and the ability to gain the trust of others. I learned that you lead others, not command. I continue to practice these leadership skills in my daily life, as a manager and father, and always strive to improve on them.
Rationale for Application
I personally feel there is a clear and present need at Nukapedia. With the exodus of the more technically oriented sysops, such as former Bureaucrats Porter21 and GhostAvatar, there is a credible knowledge gap of the most technical aspects required for the continued operation of this wiki. We have lost the persons who have made the foundation that The Fallout Wiki is built on. The technical basis for most of what we see and how we build content here was all made by these persons with advanced technical knowledge. This knowledge includes HTML, CSS, Mediawiki advanced functions and automated bots, among others. Those of us who remain have limited, at best, knowledge of most of these functions. Should we desire to dramatically change the look of the wiki, have the need to build new meta-templates for new content or utilize automated bots for improved functionality, we can only ask for outside help at this time. Were a change in the version of Mediawiki we currently use to happen, we have no competent users to ensure compatibility.
As such, I have taken it upon myself to attempt to fill that knowledge gap. I have been diligently working on familiarizing myself with formatting and constructing tables and infoboxes, as well as the templates and meta-templates they are built upon, and have begun to learn the use of advanced Mediawiki features, such as [[User:The Gunny/sandbox#Durability|parser functions]]. I have begun to learn basic HTML with the intent to learn to edit CSS. I intend to learn how to employ autowikibrower (page indexing software using bot-like features). I understand that the amount of knowledge I need to master is large, yet with the prospect of the next game appearing within a few years, I feel we have a clear need for someone to master this. I feel I have the time to learn what is needed. What I know for certain is that we need someone with expertise in the technical side of the wiki to come forward if we desire to remain as one of the best gaming wikis. My intent is to help fill that role.
This application for Administrator and the extra rights that come with the position is necessary for me to have access to the protected pages that make up the majority of the content I intend to learn to help maintain, such as meta-templates, MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation, Common.css, MediaWiki:common.js, and other special pages. I will need that access to learn as I edit, as many templates rely on layers of nested templates that all interact together. It will not be possible for me to practice the skills I need to master without Administrator rights and the access those rights would give me.
The following is a complete list of my intentions:
- I will continue to embody all leadership principles as best I can.
- I will learn as much as I possibly can about Mediawiki markup language, parser functions, HTML, CSS and autowikibrowsers.
- I will discharge my duties as Administrator by policing the mainspace, blog comments, chat and forums for violations of user policy.
- I will continue to help with patrolling edits and reverting vandalism/bad faith edits.
- I will continue to edit as best I can with a focus on adding content.
|Type of edits||Edit count|
|Fallout Wiki talk||39|
|User blog comment||277|
- Added Melee and Unarmed weapon special attack information on Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas weapon pages with corresponding data tables.
- Clarified melee special attack information on the Melee Weapons page and created the Special Attack (Fallout: New Vegas) page to include all special attacks and related game mechanics.
- Tested and confirmed weapon durability formulas for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas weapons.
- Contributed to the Weapon condition project by performing data calculations and adding a new "Durability" section to Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas weapon pages.
- Added over 100 weapon comparison tables to the Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas weapon pages; edited and re-formatted the existing tables for veracity and uniformity.
- Added tables to the new "Durability" section of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas weapon pages to detail the effects of ammunition condition modifiers on weapon durability.
- Provided extensive project progress tables for the Weapon condition project, Van Buren Article Project Redux, Fallout 1 and 2 Quotations Project and Fallout Wiki:Fallout 3 and New Vegas quotations project.
- Suggested and supplied the formatting of expanded level 3 links for the recent trial of the new MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation.
- Helped set up Nukapedia-style infoboxes and navboxes at Gauzz Rifle's Wiki and Rich Dickardson's AlternateFallout Wiki, which allowed me to further understand the complex templates, common.css, common.js and the extensions needed for these to work here at Nukapedia.
- Patrolled for vandalism, bad faith edits, improper formatting and incorrect information by using the G.E.C.K. (editor) to check pages, infoboxs and table data as applicable.
- Made a concerted effort to explain reasons for reverting edits to the contributor so they may understand why the content did not meet Policies and guidelines or how they may improve their edits to follow the same.
- Made a concerted effort to be involved in the many community issues that have arisen recently and tried my best to voice constructive views on how to better Nukapedia.
- Volunteered for the Fallout Wiki:New User Network with the aim of helping new members acclimate themselves to editing.
- Made a concerted effort to show leadership, by example, as best I am able, in my capacity as both a regular user and as a Patroller.
- Contributed as an editor, primarily on Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas weapon pages, since joining my account, with a focus on adding new content. Please see my contributions detailed in the table below:
- You can see on my userpage, my talk page and my custom CSS that I have been applying some of the new skills I'm learning. (Read as: bothering GhostAvatar a lot when I can't get it just right. Thanks again, Ghost.)
I ask the community to consider granting me Administrator rights. I believe I have shown the leadership qualities, comportment, drive, editing skills and ability to serve you well with the extra responsibilities and rights inherent to the position. Being that I am the founder and Bureaucrat of a small wiki, and have been granted Administrator rights on two other wikis (mainly to help in technical issues such as infobox formatting), I am already familiar with the suite of extended tools available to Administrators. Please let your views on my suitability be known by voting in the following poll and in the comments section below. I appreciate your candor and your consideration.
- yes I'd do anything to end up above Gavatron on a bullet list. Hugs "Say 'ello to my little friend!"
- yes 20:54, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Of course. --Weirdowithcoffee
- yes Happylice 20:56, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Limmiegirl Talk! ♪
- yes Without a doubt the best person to become a leader in our wiki and ensure your wiki's technological side keeps up as well. --The Old World Relics 21:01, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes A Renaissance Man, definitely. The Gunny excels in several aspects of administration and would be a terrific addition to the admin team. --Skire (talk) 21:02, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Better qualified than I ever was. You'll do amazing.-- 21:00, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Perfect person for the role! Kiwi
- yes As usual, none may pass my searing gaze and brutal honesty on matters that require my '2 cents', so I'll input them with extreme joy. Throughout my time here, and watching others commit to their actions and goals, I have no doubt in my mind, seeing Gunny as an admin, would be the best fucking idea I have ever heard besides the idea of Video Games should be created. Throughout time and time again, Gunny has proven himself to be reliable, responsible, and diligent throughout the course of the Wikia itself. He has seen both sides of an argument countless of times, and his experience in leadership in REALITY itself is greatly appreciated (well...at least for me that is). To decline this much deserved promotion would be idiotic and beyond stupidity in any format. It's like declining gold for the pile of shit in the backyard. Gunny isn't doing this for power, or for 'looks' of crap, but to just help the Wikia even further and pushing towards the right goals, which is much needed. EVEN I, can't even explain how much approval I have for this, to the point I must Draw what I think of this choice, which will come soon. Overall: Yes, yes, and HOLY SHIT YES.--Zerginfestor 21:22, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes yes You'll do fine, mate. Military guys like us usually do. And if you don't, I can always upgrade you to a better, more improved, atomic version of you! I'll name it...Atomo-Gunnied! Good luck mate! -- User:LegacyTech 21:27, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- yes yes yes Well overdue. Agent c
- yes --Kastera (talk)
- yes Why did you add a section for no votes? Seems a bit redundant to me. 02:55, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Can't think of anyone who deserves it more. -- Bacon-Man Talk to me goose! 04:02, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes --RAM 07:54, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Wow! Now that's an application text! But, in all seriousness, I think it was about time, Gunny. ;-) A big yes. --Crimson Frankie -ArroyoTalk 08:58, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Good to have a military man as an admin. --DimitriNovikov 09:26, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes I put this on the Dub. ToCxHawK 16:25, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes You put an extreme amount of effort in to this Wiki, I think you are more than deserving :) Good luck! "Even In Death May You Be Triumphant" 23:50, May 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Thank you for your service (both here and in other capacities) —Preceding unsigned comment added by AFollower (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- yes I see no reason to vote no. And your English is propoer. ;) Tagaziel (call!) 14:18, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Of course it's a yes, Gunny is more then deserving of an adminship. Gothic NekoNeko's Haunt 14:22, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Aye, what with your work and and seeminly inhuman knowledge of wikia coding. -- 15:39, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
- yes He'll make a fine admin with his wisdom and knowledge of Wikia coding and the like. Charcoal121
- yes Definitely cut out for this job. User:Samwhich
- yes If only so that you beat Al's vote! Φύλαξ [~μίλησε μου~] 21:43, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
- yes yes yes yesI was wondering when you were gonna run. You're a great contributor, and I'm glad to help say YES! The Enclave shall prevail! 02:58, May 7, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Semper Fidelis, brother. Oorah! The Cyan Dragon 15:36, May 8, 2012 (UTC)
- yes I've supported this idea for a very long time. You have skills almost no one here can compare to, and we need that knowledge if we are to flourish as the next game begins to reveal itself. You are also level-headed and always willing to help other users out. You absolutely have my vote. I wish you the best with your new tools, as it's quite obvious what the result here will be. ;) Skål!
- yes My, my, I never saw someone else with that much willingness for adminship, given the work on the request. Still, your contributions on the tables are very valuable. MS: Destiny conquers all.
- yes its about damn time The lone wanderer's bad-ass grandma 21:18, May 9, 2012 (UTC)
- yes Seriously, why is there even a no area on this? Gunny is certainly admin material and I would love to take some time out of my "busy" day to vote for this. EBTalk 21:47, May 9, 2012 (UTC)
Questions, Comments and Suggestions
I sincerely request any questions, comments or suggestions on my contributions, comportment or overall performance of the duties entrusted to me by you. I will attempt to respond to each query to the best of my ability.
-- 20:35, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
Errr, Ummm, whats you're policy on errrr ummmm lunch? Agent c
- IMOHO, lunch is inferior to breakfast in every measurable way. Breakfast has bacon. I hope that answers your question. 22:00, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Damn, I'm tempted to create a sock puppet just so I can vote for you again... Such a great answer. Agent c 22:02, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
- If I remember correctly he's got another 20+ votes or something to go, Ci ;3 - Hugs "Say 'ello to my little friend!"
- @MS, I wouldn't actually say he is eager at all. In all honesty, I have been banging on at him to go for it for some time now. The length of the application only demonstrates just how much effort he is willing to put into things and the thoroughness of his application and reasoning. 20:08, May 9, 2012 (UTC)
- P.S. Why do you think I was the first one to vote here, also this being the first thing I have voted on pretty much since the split. 20:15, May 9, 2012 (UTC)
You may just have set the record for yes-votes right here! So a very well deserved promotion to administrator. Congratulations! Jspoel 20:43, May 11, 2012 (UTC)