Fleeing is an in-game status which is given to a frightened character. The fleeing character cannot talk nor fight until the status is risen.
A character may flee if:
- They sustain too much damage (I.E. when fighting raiders)
- The player character attacks a friendly NPC (other friendly NPCs will flee)
- Sometimes, super mutant captives will run and eventually flee.
- Eventually, after danger has subsided, an NPC may stop fleeing.
- Fleeing enemies may regain their courage and attack again if left alone.
- A fleeing character will not speak to the character, and a message will appear saying "<name here> is fleeing."