Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| ||For an overview of flare gun models that appear in the Fallout series of games, see flare gun.|
The flare gun is a break-action single-shot weapon but isn't designed to deal direct damage. Instead, it summons nearby Commonwealth Minutemen for assistance. It can also attract nearby Brotherhood of Steel Vertibirds. Firing a flare directly at an enemy will cause a small amount of damage, but virtually every other weapon will yield better results in the heat of battle.
The flare gun is unmodifiable, as it is likely not intended as a combat weapon, and is intended to be virtually exclusive to the use of signaling Minutemen for assistance. It is poorly suited for lighting dark areas as the flare doesn't stick to a surface and has a time delay ignition.
There are currently no known variants of this weapon.
- Needs to be within range, 3-4 map tiles, of an "owned" settlement to summon help.
- If a player is just outside range, they may be able to successfully summon the NPCs by firing towards the settlement, conversely a player just within range may fail to summon their allies if they fire in the opposite direction. For most reliable results, the gun should be aimed towards the settlement. (Recommend checking map and placing a marker in-line with the nearest owned settlement to use as a reference point.)
- After completing the main story with the Minutemen, the flare gun is much more useful and can be used in many more locations. It then must be fired within range of a settlement or one of the many Minutemen-occupied checkpoints.
- Summons between 3-6 Minutemen NPCs. They can be of variable level, but most will be level 1.
- Can be used once every 24 in-game hours (needs further testing).
- On firing your flare for aid, if in range, they will send up another flare also in response to let you know they are incoming.
- Unlike the previous version the flare ignites/detonates after a small time delay.
- The flare gun serves very little function on The Island, as the Minutemen have no jurisdiction there, and can't be used in that area to summon reinforcements.
- Cannot store flare gun on weapon rack.