Flags of Our Foul-Ups
|Side Quest: Flags of Our Foul-Ups|
|Talk to Sgt. McCredie.|
|Talk to O'Hanrahan and follow his advice.||Talk to Mags and follow her advice.||Talk to Poindexter and follow his advice.||Talk to Razz and follow his advice.|
|Talk to Mags, Poindexter and Razz and convince them to work together with speech checks for each.||Take the squad to the firing range and teach them, successful on a guns and explosive check.||Go to the two computer terminals and alter the squad's records, the second terminal requiring a science check.||Go to Red Rock Canyon and talk to Jack, then bring the psycho package back to Razz.|
|Reward: Varying XP depending on actions|
Start the quest by talking to Sgt. McCredie.
Follow O'Hanrahan's adviceEdit
Talk to O'Hanrahan about talking to the whole troop about improving teamwork and strengthening their relationships. You'll need to pass a Speech check of 40 to convince Poindexter, Mags, and Razz. You will gain experience for each party member that is convinced.
You will receive 40 XP for each of the members you convince and then 200 XP once complete (Total XP = 40 + 40 + 40 + 200 = 320), positive fame with the NCR, additionally the team looks to be working well together.
Follow Mags' adviceEdit
Use Mags' advice, and teach the squad. You'll need a Guns skill of 45 and an Explosives skill of 45 to get the squad to pass the firing and grenade range. You will need to pass a Guns check of 25, 35, and 45 respectively for this choice. The "Milsurp Review" will add 10 points to your Guns statistic if you need it. You also will need to pass an explosives check of 25, 35, and 45 respectively. The "Patriot's Cookbook" will add 10 points to your Explosives statistic if needed.
You will receive 200 XP and additional (31+43+55)*2=258 XP (with 10% gain) while teaching the squad and positive fame with the NCR, additionally the team looks to be working well together.
However, if you're looking for free XP and you're a lower level with a guns and/or explosives skill under 45 but above skills 25 or 35, you can have the squad line up on the firing range. You pass the first and second Speech check, fail the third, and you automatically get 60 XP, and since you failed the last check, continue having them line up for infinite XP. (this has been fixed in the 1.02 patch)
Follow Poindexter's adviceEdit
Suggest to Poindexter that you could cheat the system. He'll advise you hack the terminal in the House Lodge so that the squad doesn't have to do any work.
There are two computers you can hack. The one in the lobby requires no Science skill, but you need to access it when nobody is looking. The other one needs a Science skill of 75 but you can access it in peace.
You get NCR infamy and lose Karma when you alter the records, but upon completion of the quest you will receive 200 XP and positive fame with NCR.
Follow Razz's adviceEdit
Completing this quest gives you 200 experience and positive fame with the NCR. Surprisingly, providing the misfits with drugs has no effect on your Karma.
|1||Talk to the Misfits about improving their squad.|
|2||Help the Misfits improve their shooting skills.|
|3||Convince Mags to respect the squad and work with them.|
|4||Convince Razz to respect the squad and work with them.|
|5||Convince Poindexter to respect the squad and work with them.|
|6||Quest finished||Return to O'Hanrahan.|
|7||Fake the Misfits' readiness reports.|
|8||Get drugs from Jack at Red Rock Canyon.|
- It's worth noting that the new dialogue options are buried in conversation paths that you've already taken. You will have to repeat some dialogue with Poindexter, Mags, and Razz in order to obtain the new Speech options.
- The Speech check is after you ask them about their squad-mates - which is always the second line in the dialogue choice box.
- Once you start a quest arc, you cannot pick up another; i.e. if you start with Mags and do not have the skill, you cannot pick up the quest arc with Poindexter.
- If you choose to train the troops' skill with weapons, do not pickpocket their weapons before activating this option. If you do, the troops will go immediately to using grenades and you won't be able to complete the quest.
- Occasionally, on fast-traveling to Camp Golf a lakelurk may spawn near or at the firing range. This can lead to Misfits squad members being killed, which results in quest failure.
- If traveling from the South-West to Camp Golf, the Misfits can come under attack by Legionary assassins and can be killed.
- For extra XP, you can follow both Mags's and O'Hanrahan's advices, gaining experience for talking to each squadmate (40x3), AND training the squad in the firing range. However, you can only choose one path to complete the quest for the 200 XP reward.
- After the quest is completed, Mr. New Vegas may be heard talking on the radio about how a "young band of soldiers shattered NCR records on a combat readiness assessment at Camp Golf." This could be none other than the Misfits finally working together.
- If you notice that when you begin to train the squad in grenades, Mags says that they have the dummy grenades ready, but they still throw live grenades.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The title of this quest is a reference to the 2000 book, Flags of Our Fathers.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Mags may become unresponsive at the gun range. Simply push her out of place and let her return to her position to talk to her. This may also be caused by some of the squad getting stuck in place and not lining up. Loading an autosave gets them moving and you can talk to Mags when everyone is lined up. Walking into and out of one of the tents may help as well. [verified]
- ps3 On first arriving at Camp Golf (without having completed the earlier steps in the Return to Sender quest) Sgt. McCredie may sometimes be found dead (killed by a cazador) at the entrance to the tent at the base of the ramps up to the House Resort building. This will prevent being able to start this quest. [verified]
- ps3 Sometimes, the Misfits will cluster together too closely when training together at the firearms range, causing them to kill each other. This is especially dangerous once you speak with Mags and agree to assist with grenade training. [verified]
- pc It's impossible to finish this quest if you've started it before No, Not Much. So then finish that quest first, as the misfits are no longer there to line up. [verified]
- pc After the gun range portion of training Mags may remain crouched. Dialog options are available but after all are in position for grenades she no longer responds. Initiating a load screen after the gun training will unlock mags and allow the grenade training to proceed. If it fails, make Mags drop its grenade launcher with console commands before the rifle training, so she will equip her rifle and the quest will continue normally. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 Prior to patch, it's possible to gain infinite XP by repeatedly performing the Speech check with Razz. [verified]
- pc After successfully completing the quest and talking again to Sgt. McCredie, you may find that the line of conversation that led to the quest is still available to you (beginning with "Sounds like you're a little disappointed in your troops.") Selecting it does not, however, begin the quest again.[verified]
- pc ps3 After quest completion, the misfits may clump together at the targeting range, firing continuously at the targets long after the finish of the quest. [verified]
- pc It is possible for the misfits to kill themselves while throwing their grenades. They can throw too many grenades at once causing some of the undetonated ones to be launched back towards the misfits. The undetonated grenades then explode near the misfits, killing them. [verified]
- pc It is possible for Fiends to attack Camp Golf while the misfits are lined up at the firing range. This will cause the misfits to run around the camp until the Fiends are killed. You may need to enter and then leave a tent to reset the misfits. [verified]