|Side Quest: Find the missing caravans|
|Speak to Butch Harris, Rutger and Beth.|
|Go to Old Town and talk to Harold.|
|Ask Slappy to take you to the deathclaw's lair.|
|Reward: 800 XP|
|Kill the deathclaw.|
|Reward: 1000 XP|
|Recover the mutant transmissions holodisk from the dying mutant.|
|Reward: 100 XP|
|Report to Butch and Rutger.|
|Reward: 1000 XP|
Butch Harris of Far Go Traders asks the Vault Dweller to find out why caravans have been disappearing. Harris mentions the deathclaw skeptically, and tells the Vault Dweller to go to Beth for more information on it. When talked to about the issue, she directs them to Harold in Old Town.
A total of 2900 XP:
- 800 XP for having Slappy take the Vault Dweller to the lair.
- 1000 XP for killing the deathclaw in its lair.
- 100 XP for uploading the mutant transmissions to the Pip-Boy 2000.
- 1000 XP and 800 bottle caps for coming back to Rutger, and discussing the caravans/showing him the holodisk.
- A problem may arise in the ending of the game which is that while the Vault Dweller may have completed this quest, the ending for the Hub will not be shown and skipped altogether. This is because the ending for the Hub wasn't properly implemented in the game, only an audio file and a picture exist though they aren't activated, even if the requirements are met. [verified]
- There is another global variable related to the good Hub ending, called KIND_TO_HAROLD and it can be told the specified ending is connected to Harold bringing peace between mutants and humans.
- If the Dweller travels to the Military Base, he can then convince Butch that the mutants are responsible for the missing caravans. The quest will be marked as completed and Butch will direct him to Rutger, but the latter must still be shown the holodisk from the deathclaw's lair. [verified]