Pack of drugged-out killers. They're addicted to every stim, every pill, every psychoactive enema on this fucked-up Earth.”— Major Dhatri
Made savage by excessive chem use, the Fiends of New Vegas are the most numerous and troublesome raiders of the Mojave Wasteland.”— Fallout: New Vegas loading screen
Vault 3 was once an ordinary, happy vault. Unfortunately, it—and the entire southwestern part of the New Vegas conurbation—has been taken over by a large force of raiders calling themselves the Fiends. They are unexceptional in every way, but there are a slew of them. The vault itself is wide-open, practically being a feral den for the Fiends and their huge packs of dogs. Whether it is murder, rape, or shooting innocents for sport, the Fiends are more than happy to bring their anarchy to this area, which has become a source of growing concern for the NCR. The Fiends are erratic and dangerous; their mental stability isn’t helped by the fact that they are almost constantly high on chems, most of which are provided by the Great Khans.
The Fiends have little organization except for their occupation of Vault 3. Violet, Cook-cook, Driver Nephi, and Motor-Runner seem to be the central leaders, with Motor-Runner being the main leader since he is the one running Vault 3. They also, like many other raiders, split into small war-parties, usually between 3-4 members, which allows them to cover a enormous portion of New Vegas.
Relations with the outsideEdit
The Fiends attack anyone aside from the Great Khans, who supply them with chems. With a Speech skill of 64, you can tell the Fiend guarding Vault 3's entrance that you are a chem supplier, which you can sell for 20 caps each (22 with a Barter skill of 65). The Fiends are a constant problem for the NCR, especially for Camp McCarran. It has been big enough that Major Dhatri is putting bounties on the leaders' heads.
The Fiends make use of what is available in their surroundings, with the most basic approach. Outside, they are usually gathered around campfires, where much of their scavenged items such as first aid and ammunition boxes can be found. At times, they utilize traps in order to protect their shelter, evident in the many traps found inside Zapp's Neon Signs.
They have a varied set of weapons: energy weapons like laser RCWs and plasma rifles are quite common, while some of them carry flamers. Basic melee weapons include hatchets, knives, and pool cues, while advanced melee weapons like the chainsaw and Ripper are found among a few members. They are mostly found carrying basic guns like caravan shotguns, varmint rifles, and silenced .22 SMGs.
Narrated by Motor-Runner
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||Their leaders destroyed by the Courier, the Fiends scattered throughout the wasteland. Without the organization of Motor-Runner, Cook-Cook, Violet, and Driver Nephi, they were easy prey.||Kill all the Fiend leaders: Motor-Runner, Cook-Cook, Violet, and Driver Nephi. This ending overrides all others for the Fiends if this condition is met.|
|2||Never weakened by NCR, the Fiends staged an attack against Camp McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam. Though NCR repulsed the Fiends, they suffered heavy losses in the process.||All Fiend leaders remain alive, complete the endgame quest Eureka! for the NCR.|
|3||The Fiends staged an attack against Camp McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam. During the NCR's retreat, the Fiends overwhelmed many of the troopers before Mr. House's Securitrons could deal with them.||At least two Fiend leaders remain alive, complete the endgame quest All or Nothing for Mr. House.|
|4||The Fiends overran Camp McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam. In the anarchic months that followed, the Fiends asserted dominance over Outer Vegas.||All Fiend leaders remain alive, complete the endgame quest No Gods, No Masters for an Independent Vegas.|
|5||Though weakened, the Fiends attacked McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam. NCR repulsed the attack with minimal losses and, in the following days, destroyed the remaining Fiend leaders, breaking their power forever.||Some Fiend leaders remain alive, complete the endgame quest Eureka! for the NCR.|
|6||The Fiends attacked Camp McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam and suffered heavy losses. Caesar, unimpressed with their performance and their dependence on chems, had them exterminated.||Some or all Fiend leaders remain alive, complete the endgame quest Veni, Vidi, Vici for Caesar's Legion.|
|7||The Fiends attacked Camp McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, but the NCR repulsed the attack with minimal losses. When Mr. House asserted control over Outer Vegas, his Securitrons eradicated the remaining Fiends entirely.||Kill exactly three Fiend leaders, complete the endgame quest All or Nothing for Mr. House.|
|8||The Fiends attacked Camp McCarran during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam and, despite suffering heavy losses, overran it. They continued to be a nuisance throughout Outer Vegas, but never established full control over the area.||Some Fiend leaders remain alive, complete the endgame quest No Gods, No Masters for an Independent Vegas.|
- Fiends sometimes spawn near The Thorn and start attacking people at Westside South Entrance. They may also sometimes enter The Thorn, but will be killed instantly by the guards.
- Fiends are hated by almost all residents of Westside, as they are a constant danger to the settlement.
- Fiends always have red eyes, a side effect from their constant chem consumption.
- There are many Fiends in Vault 3 that can be found already dead in several residential rooms, apparently having died of either chem overdoses or fatal infighting between themselves.
- Fiends may sometimes spawn and attack the player outside of the Crimson Caravan camp.
- Upon fast-traveling to Camp McCarran, two Fiends may be attacking the entrance.
- Upon fast-traveling to Freeside East Gate, some Fiends may be spawned nearby.
- Fiends can sometimes be fighting in The Thorn.
- A group of four to six Fiends will always respawn around Fiend territory. A group of three fiends respawn at a fixed location between Brewer's beer bootlegging and Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters.
- The Fiends may constantly be found in a firefight against patrolling NCR troopers around the area surrounding the New Vegas Strip.
- Killing Fiends grants positive Karma.
- pc When you have dealt with Motor-Runner and the Fiends in a friendly way during Aba Daba Honeymoon or by passing a Speech Check at the entrance to Vault 3 the Fiends might become permanently friendly. Entering SetPCEnemyOfFaction 000ef323 1 in the console will make them hostile again. [verified]