They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.”
Fantastic was recruited by the NCR because they required technical experts to work on the HELIOS One power plant. When the Courier asks "How did you get this job?", he said "they asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard." This was enough to satisfy the NCR recruiters, and he was given the job. If told that he doesn't know what he's doing, he disagrees and insists that he knows exactly what he is doing, he just doesn't know what effect it will have. When asked to elaborate on his working environment, his explanation starts promisingly enough - "That console there controls the main power grid." - but soon degenerates, ending with "That slot over there makes sparks when you put stuff in it."
He works in the control room with Ignacio Rivas as his subordinate. Ignacio is shown through dialogue to be greatly more knowledgeable about Helios One, but Fantastic took over as head of management and doesn't listen to Ignacio's ideas, and continues to run at "one percent efficiency".
Interactions with the player characterEdit
That Lucky Old Sun: Fantastic has to be confronted for the beginning of the quest, and spoken to, to end the quest. He also can give the player the Western reflector control terminal password through dialogue.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- If chosen to wipe out the NCR in That Lucky Old Sun by arming Archimedes I, and Fantastic is left alive, upon returning Fantastic will be wearing Legion armor and will have killed Ignacio Rivas. If the player then talks to him he will say "Hey man, when in Rome."
- Alternatively, if chosen to side with the NCR, Fantastic can be found at Hoover Dam. He gets a promotion to the position of "God Damn Dam God" in his own words.
- When first meeting Fantastic, it can be stated the player is there to replace him. Fantastic gets worried and tells them that he needs this job for his chem addiction, and with a Speech check of 25, 100 caps can be extorted from him in return for not taking his job.
- If chosen to send power to Camp McCarran and The Strip in That Lucky Old Sun, an NCR guard will remark "Maybe that guy Fantastic wasn't an idiot, maybe he was a genius," when exiting the facility.
- Killing him does not affect NCR Reputation or make NCR troopers hostile to the player.
Legion recruit armor*
|10mm pistol||Western reflector control terminal password|
* If the Courier kills the NCR troopers by activating Archimedes I.
- "I'm in charge. This whole operation depends on me. No Fantastic, no power. Got the whole NCR suckling my teats, and it feels so good."
- "Fuck, man. Everything. I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean."
- "They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard."
- "No, man. I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have. Over there controls power in this building. That station has readouts on the computer network. That big knob there makes a crazy noise. Sparks come out of that slot if you put stuff in it. And I'm learning more every day."
- "But the mirrors outside aren't aimed right, so we're running at one percent efficiency. And I guess that just isn't good enough for some assholes."
Fantastic appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.