Fallout Faction Overhaul Project
| ||For the Three Families of Fallout: New Vegas, see Three Families.|
The Family members in their common area
Family's sign in West residence
We are the remnants of society, cast aside like the clean-picked bones of a hunter's feast. I led my flock beneath the sun-baked sands of the Wasteland to keep them safe and teach them my ways. Men of science would call us cannibals, eaters of human flesh. Society labels us as monsters, demons and the unclean.”— Vance
The Family is a gang of cannibals who have banded together thanks to the efforts of Vance, their leader. Living under the ruins of Meresti trainyard, the group keeps out of public view, staying away from larger towns and settlements and only surfacing to feed. Realizing that the cannibal is both feared and hated even in the lawless wasteland, Vance has decided to teach his people the way of the vampire as he interprets it from classic literature. He's convinced most of the Family that they are indeed true vampires, teaching them to drink the blood of their prey and not to feed upon their flesh. Vance believes this gives them a sense of belonging and purpose in a world that doesn't understand their unusual trait. Although the Family may truly believe that they are like the vampires in traditional works of fiction, they retain no abilities or powers that distinguish them from any other cannibal in the Capital Wasteland.
- Vance: the leader and guide. He is trying to make his cannibal charges to leave that urge and feed only from blood, adopting the ways of the vampires of the legend. After completing the quest Blood Ties, speaking to him and asking if he can teach the Lone Wanderer the ways of the vampire will result in him teaching the Hematophage perk allowing to regain +20 HP by consuming blood packs.
- Holly: Vance's wife, who has reservations about some of Vance's beliefs, but supports him completely out of tradition and dedication. The Lone Wanderer can acquire the access code to Ian's room via a speech check, high Charisma, or with the Scoundrel perk.
- Alan: a new recruit who sees Vance as the savior of his kind. Depending on how Blood Ties is completed, he can be sent to protect Arefu from wasteland threats.
- Brianna: she offers prostitution services to the male members of the Family, in exchange for moderate caps. With the Lady Killer perk, the Lone Wanderer is able to persuade her to divulge the entrance code to Ian's room.
- Karl: the Storekeeper. He does not believe in Vance's teachings, but pretends to in order to maintain a store in his tunnels. He can be seduced with the Black Widow perk into giving the password of the security computer terminal. The Lone Wanderer can also threaten him into giving up the password with a Strength check.
- Justin: Ian's confidante within the Family. Justin guides Ian in the various teachings of Vance, and serves as a surrogate elder brother. The Lone Wanderer can convince him to divulge the entrance code to Ian's room either by passing a Speech check or with the Impartial Mediation perk.
- Robert: the sentry and first member of the Family the player will meet. Robert is the only member of Meresti that doesn't act like a member of the Family, which is discovered through the Cannibal perk or an out of conversation dialogue.
Vance's laws for the Family can be read on two terminals. Reading them provides background information that unlocks further conversation options with Vance.
- The First Law
- "Feast not on the flesh; consume only the blood. This is our strength."
We do not eat the flesh of those we kill for food. We will only drink of their blood and leave the body intact. The consumption of flesh is filthy and unclean. This action is what causes the humans to treat us like animals. We are not animals, we are The Family.
- The Second Law
- "Bear not the child; welcome only the exile. This is our fate."
Because we carry the stain of our past in our bodies, we can never let it pass to our offspring who would in turn carry out those foul actions beginning the cycle anew. The Family must seek the Wasteland for others of its kind in order to maintain itself. That is our fate.
- The Third Law
- "Feed not for pleasure; partake only to nourish. This is our dignity."
We only kill the humans when we are hungry or when we must defend ourselves, we never hunt for sport or pleasure. We do not prey on children for they are not yet tainted by society's view of us. The Family will not tolerate murder.
- The Fourth Law
- "Seek not the sun's light; embrace only the shadows. This is our refuge."
Because we are creatures of the night, we must not set foot in daylight. We move silently across the ground only under the watchful eye of the moon above. At the rising of the sun, we must seek the embrace of the shadows and never again gaze at its brilliance. The Family seeks the dark as its refuge.
- The Fifth Law
- "Kill not our kindred; slay only the enemy. This is our justice."
Above all, no member of The Family will ever take the life of another member without the consent of the current leader. Anyone disobeying this action, the most heinous of all our crimes, will be exiled from this place forever. We must not let our own inner demons cause us to fight amongst ourselves. We number only in the few, and we cannot risk extinction.
- All of the Family members are initially non-hostile, unless provoked.
- If an event happens which results in the death of any member of the Family, Ian will become hostile when the Lone Wanderer talks to him, until he is offered the letter written by his sister in Megaton. After that, Ian will ask to be left alone. The next time the Lone Wanderer returns to Arefu, they will be told that Ian had returned, and that the Lone Wanderer will be offered a reward.
- The Family will become hostile if the Lone Wanderer sneaks past Robert without being allowed in initially.
- If being rude and impolite when first talking with Vance, he will warn the Lone Wanderer about their behavior before he and all the other members of the Family turn hostile.
The Family appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The password to open Ian's room is "Vespertilio", which is a genus of the bat family.
- pc Hacking into the Family's terminals will turn the Family hostile, even though the terminal itself is not marked as owned. This happens only if Vance or any other member of the Family did not give you the password. [verified]