Only a handful of the original design documents for the Fallout games have ever been released. Three such documents for the first two games were released by Chris Avellone in the Fallout Bible, while the Van Buren designed docs were leaked and released at No Mutants Allowed in 2005.
There was also petition to Bethesda Softworks to release the Fallout and Fallout 2 design documents.
- Burrows design document
- Mr. Handy design document
- Vault 13: A GURPS Post-Nuclear Adventure timeline
- Vipers design document
- EPA design document
- Elements of New Reno and Raider Caves design documents were used as examples in Tibbets Prison design document by Chris Avellone.
- Tibbets Prison design document (designed by Chris Avellone)
- Denver design document (designed by Sean K. Reynolds)
- Boulder design document (designer unknown)
- Blackfoot Tribe design document (designed by Jeff Husges and Sean K. Reynolds)
- Twin Mothers design document (designed by John Deiley)
- Ouroboros design document (designed by John Deiley)
- Mesa Verde design document (designed by Jeff Husges)
- Nursery design document (designed by John Deiley)
- Maxson Bunker design document (designed by John Deiley)
- New Canaan design document (designed by J.E. Sawyer) & Jericho design document (designed by Jeff Husges)
- Burham Springs design document (designed by J.E. Sawyer)
- Hoover Dam design document (designed by Ferret Baudoin and Damien Foletto)
- Reservation design document (designed by Damien Foletto)
- Bloomfield Space Center design document (designed by Damien Foletto)
- B.O.M.B.-001 design document (designed by Damien Foletto)
- Companion non-player characters (CNPC) design documents
- Circle Junction design document
- At the pre-production stage vast majority of locations were drafted by Chris Avellone (Circle Junction, Fort Abandon, Big MT, the Daughters of Hecate and Caesar's Legion, the Denver Salvager Camp, Boulder Dome, Leavenworth Prison) as well as some character concepts (Corp. Christine Royce, Alkaya, Job, Xian, the Hanged Man, Eddie “Crazy Horse” Galenski and his “wife,” Helen Wheels, Gen. Coleridge, Capt. Davidson, Lt. Pierce, Maj. Briggs, and Matthias Huxley aka Dr. Presper).
- Design document numbered 13 has not been released as well as documents for Fort Abandon, Circle Junction and the Grand Canyon.
- The Boulder design document mentions something like "Josh's Ulysses Part 2" as source of information concerning ODYSSEUS AI (likely connected with the second act of Van Buren).