Each of the major factions intentionally exhibits both characteristic strengths and weaknesses of their type of organization. The NCR is most like the current American government, but none of the factions are intended to be an indictment of the United States' politics/government.”— Joshua Sawyer, Bethesda forums
|This page lists all factions in Fallout: New Vegas.|
The following factions are the three major players in Fallout: New Vegas. During the course of the game, there will be an option to side with one of them or to go independent, to the expense of relations with the other major factions.
The following factions can be recruited as allies (of you and the major faction one allies with, if any.)
The Strip factionsEdit
In addition to the Brotherhood of Steel and the Great Khans, the following are parties one can choose to destroy or spare if one chooses to go it alone instead of siding with one of the three major factions. All three of these factions run casinos on The Strip.
- Merchant companies
- Raider Gangs
This table is a representation of a faction's hostility towards the Courier, and how likely they will be forgiven or not. However, the Courier must also note that the higher their Reputation with the faction, the more likely they will be forgiven (such as holstering one's weapon).
|New California Republic||yes|
|Followers of the Apocalypse||yes|
|Kings gang members||no|
|White Glove Society||no|
|Happy Trails Trading Company||no|
|Brotherhood of Steel||no|
- Wearing any faction armor will turn reputation with that faction to neutral. For example, if "Liked" by the NCR but wearing NCR face wrap armor will return reputation with the NCR to so. It will go back to "Liked" once the armor is removed.
- Faction armor may also temporarily (while the disguise is on) erase some faction relationships completely from the PipBoy. For example, wearing BoS power armor will set one's relationship with the BoS to Neutral, relationships with Freeside and the Strip will remain the same, but one cannot see any reference to a relationship with NCR and the Legion. This is not a bug, but just a way to illustrate which factions are unaffected by the faction armor. (Other factions that have been removed may either be hostile or friendly.)
- Wearing faction armor is also a good way to accept quests from factions that would normally result in being attacked. For example, if having killed several Great Khans, the whole village will attack on sight if approaching Red Rock Canyon. However, while wearing Great Khan faction armor, one can accept and complete quests, which would eventually get some mixed reputation, and enough to allow safely taking off the faction armor without hostilities from that faction. It is recommended to always wear the faction armor (as much as possible) when advancing the quests to prevent quest failure or certain quest people from turning hostile. (At the same time, if one is entering an area from the opposite faction, be sure to take it off to prevent hostilities.)
- The Courier can kill members of a certain faction without consequences if they sneak attack while hidden successfully.
- pc xbox360 Sometimes equipping any faction clothing/armor, no matter how briefly, permanently sets you as a member of that faction in the eyes of all enemies of that faction. This happens even if you put on neutral duds before exiting Pip-Boy and no non-player character ever sees you wearing enemy faction attire. For example, while looting bodies out in the wasteland you accidentally put on Powder Ganger armor, but immediately take it off. When you return to Primm all residents will be hostile anyway. If you ever put on Legion gear, the NCR will be hostile forever after, etc. This can be remedied by putting on clothing of the faction you are associated with and taking it off. [verified]
- xbox360 Trading faction armor you are wearing to a companion will result in an interface bug, as you are still in the trading screen when the "no longer wearing faction armor" comment pops up. (Furthermore, if the faction armor cannot be worn by the companion, as is the case for most of them (Veronica can wear brotherhood armor, and Boone can wear NCR armor), they will drop the armor anyway.) This dialog can be impossible to select OK on. Pressing start and hitting "Continue" appears to fix this. (Unconfirmed on other platforms.) [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 If you are accepted, idolized, etc., by a faction and you wear their armor, it is possible that your reputation with that faction will drop to neutral, even if you take the armor off. It is possible for it to work in the opposite way, if you're vilified, hated, etc., the same thing can happen. The only way to boost your reputation with that faction is to do quests for them. When you drop the armor your reputations will go back to normal. [verified]